Meltzer: Early estimates for #182 - 740-820k

Buy rates are like movie openings. They only indicate the promotion and hype, not quality of the actual event....not the the UFC cares, they want dollars.

I'm interested in the next few PPV numbers to see how the trend is going.

What fights do people think can get over 1 mil? Aldo v Mcgregor?

That is a big stretch

Like i said in this thread, Brock/Mir III with a good co-main breaks 1m (if it is Brock's first fight back)

The NFL beat the prelims basically 28 to 1, and Dana would have us believe that the UFC will soon be on par with the NFL.

The NFL is one of the most powerful entertainment entities in the Americas. Disney is bigger, but not much else. The UFC at an estimated $1.65 billion is worth more than the average value for an NFL team (most recently calculated at &1.43 billion), but there are 32 of them.

The NFL is big enough that the other major broadcast networks tend to run infomercials on Sunday during NFL games, because they know they cannot compete ratings wise.

We get it. We really do. Dana was very stupid to ever suggest the UFC is that big. Give it a fucking rest already.

aldolaugh.gif
conorlaugh.gif

Dana predicted 750k prior to the card airing, so it sounds like he was pretty close in accuracy.

one great pay-per-view doesn't mean that the ufc is now back on track. they need to be consistent with these anticipated fights. the anderson/diaz card should also do well. but they have to keep it going, so people don't forget about the ufc.

Kind of too bad that so many saw such an absolutely shit card.

If that was the first card you bought in a while, you aren't likely to repeat that mistake any time soon. :icon_twis

And about 10 million streamed it.

Obviously that's not the real amount - but you know more streamed it than bought it. It's too bad people aren't willing to pay.

They are throwing all of their big names on cards this month, they should have some good numbers.

This is not true at all, is this really the general consensus about this ppv card?

Honestly I think they put better fights than they usually do for Jones cards, but the fights just didn't deliver. Cerrone vs Jury looked great on paper and it sucked, the Lombard fight was way less entertaining than expected and the main event was very good for 3 rounds but then became kinda boring and the last rounds always. Marquardt vs Tavares was ok, but not competitive.
I liked Horiguchi vs Gaudinot because of Horiguchi's interesting style.

you know more streamed it than bought it. It's too bad people aren't willing to pay.

I wonder if that is true.
I would expect a lot of streams are individuals & a lot of PPV buys are 2-5 viewers

Interesting

It just tells us that hype and bad blood sell. That has been the case for decades. The world of combat sports is like that. You have a few number of hardcore fans, majority of casuals and those who watch when there is bad blood.

The ratings just prove the fact. Nothing new to see here. Now when every show, regardless of who is fighting sells all the time even without hype and bad blood, then we are talking.

Love how people are trying to discredit Jones and his star power. The UFC built this fight up, the MGM brawl helped, the ESPN "off camera" comments helped, the Instagram videos of the two constantly going at it the week of the fight helped...just admit it, the UFC did what they had to do to sell this fight with one of the biggest stars in the UFC right now...deal with it!

And before you even go for it, I get it...Jones is no Silva, GSP, or Lesnar. People either paid to watch Jon win, or more likely the case, lose. People genuinely thought Cormier was going to smash Jones.

Can't believe the number of people trashing the card's level of excitement. I thought the main event was fantastic, and the co-main, albeit one-sided, was exciting too.

Glad to see these numbers. I expect both Silva/Diaz and Weidman/Vitor to do around 500k.

Can't believe the number of people trashing the card's level of excitement. I thought the main event was fantastic, and the co-main, albeit one-sided, was exciting too.

Glad to see these numbers. I expect both Silva/Diaz and Weidman/Vitor to do around 500k.

I too liked the main

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back