Mayweather's top 5 fighters of all time

Silly comment. When you're the champ, you have to take what comes. How strong your opposition will be remebered is never in your hands. Maybe you don't consider Mildenberger, Folley, Terrell, Williams any good, but Ali had one mean record in the 1960s, and even a meaner one in the 1970s.
I'm not saying Ali didn't have a solid resume. I didn't say anything like that.My comments are directed at people who act as though Mayweather is a joke in comparison.
I never specified what the reasons were that Ali fought some less than stellar fighters either, did I?

And Whats silly about the comment? Is it true or not? Was every guy Ali fought on the level of frazier?Of course not.

Shouldn't how you beat someone factor into the equation? There is a difference between outpointing someone and knocking the shit out of them.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already said.

The amount of bums Robinson fought is irrelevant to his best wins & the sheer quantity of top contenders he fought.
only if you're ignoring the entire point of this conversation.

Archie Moore was in a far better, more consistent run of form than the likes of De La Hoya, Mosley & Pacquiao, and Walcott was the definition of a later bloomer.
Moore never had a significant win at HW when Marciano fought him. He wasn't an elite HW.
PAcquiao certainly rates over Archie Moore all time.

The point was that you can make good money for fighting tuneups/showcases/bums nowadays. Haymon fighters are actually famous for it, hence so many boxers being drawn to him.

I said that.

Shouldn't how you beat someone factor into the equation? There is a difference between outpointing someone and knocking the shit out of them.

Nah, thats ridiculous. Outclassing a guy over 12(or 15) is better in many ways than knocking a guy out with one good punch.

He's always being unfavourably compared to Leonard and Robinson, he's bound to slight them.

I'm not saying Ali didn't have a solid resume. I didn't say anything like that.My comments are directed at people who act as though Mayweather is a joke in comparison.
I never specified what the reasons were that Ali fought some less than stellar fighters either, did I?

And Whats silly about the comment? Is it true or not? Was every guy Ali fought on the level of frazier?Of course not.

I can definitely see the merits in some of the points you are saying but it's hard to contexutalise them without really knowing the overall point you are making.

If you're saying Mayweather ranks above Leonard or Ali then I'd strongly disagree. If you are just saying that May has a great resume then obviously I'd agree.

I definitely agree that his resume will be get better with time. We don't even know good his win over Canelo is yet, the kid could go on to rule the sport, that puts Floyd's easy win over him on a real high pedestal.

He's always being unfavourably compared to Leonard and Robinson, he's bound to slight them.

Aside from being undefeated, I don't think he can justify being greater than Robinson.He's done more in the sport than Leonard though.

Isn't GSP considered by many to be the mma goat even though he didn't typically knock people out?

Isn't GSP considered by many to be the mma goat even though he didn't typically knock people out?

I really don't think anyone thinks GSP is the GOAT.

Jon Jones usually ranks higher.

The heavies always, 100% of the time, have GSP in the top 5. Many, many people have him as number one.

I can definitely see the merits in some of the points you are saying but it's hard to contexutalise them without really knowing the overall point you are making.

If you're saying Mayweather ranks above Leonard or Ali then I'd strongly disagree. If you are just saying that May has a great resume then obviously I'd agree.

I definitely agree that his resume will be get better with time. We don't even know good his win over Canelo is yet, the kid could go on to rule the sport, that puts Floyd's easy win over him on a real high pedestal.

I think he's surpassed both. Floyd never lost toa guy like Norton. It seems like he's going to get out before he's a stepping stone to guys like Leon Spinks.

He's beaten more big names than Leonard. Leonard has a couple of "better" big names on his resume but Floyd hasn't fought anyone who wasn't championship quality for quite some time. He's fought his share of legendary fighters. Pac, Marquez, Cotto...
Leonard was 10-2-1 in title fights and 7-3-1 against former champs. Even I find that a little surprising. Thats not a very deep resume.

Mayweather is 25-0 in title fights and 23-0 against former champs. Thats better. Sorry, it just is. Like I've said before the only argument is to say dumb shit like "that opponent was no Duran!"

The heavies always, 100% of the time, have GSP in the top 5. Many, many people have him as number one.

Top 5 is fine, but I imagine any argument for having him as number one, especially after the Hendricks fight gets shot down pretty quickly.

Top 5 is fine, but I imagine any argument for having him as number one, especially after the Hendricks fight gets shot down pretty quickly.

Not at all. Having a close fight after years and years of domination does not put your resume in doubt at all. Jones went through hell against Gus, and that's a young and prime Jones, who hasn't dominated nearly as long. He may have been on his way to being the best ever before his personal life prematurely ended his career. Silva got knocked out twice in a row and then popped for using steroids.

For a huge group of people, it's between GSP and Fedor.

I think he's surpassed both. Floyd never lost toa guy like Norton. It seems like he's going to get out before he's a stepping stone to guys like Leon Spinks.

He's beaten more big names than Leonard. Leonard has a couple of "better" big names on his resume but Floyd hasn't fought anyone who wasn't championship quality for quite some time. He's fought his share of legendary fighters. Pac, Marquez, Cotto...
Leonard was 10-2-1 in title fights and 7-3-1 against former champs. Even I find that a little surprising. Thats not a very deep resume.

Mayweather is 25-0 in title fights and 23-0 against former champs. Thats better. Sorry, it just is. Like I've said before the only argument is to say dumb shit like "that opponent was no Duran!"

You're putting way too much empthasis on Mayweather 'champion' wins and 'great' fighters he has beat. Mayweather has only fought one guy that ranks anywhere close to any of Leonard's three best wins and that's Pacquiao, who possibly ranks below them all. Not to mention Benitez.

You don't make much of an argument for how these good wins for Mayweather outdo wins over Hagler, Duran, Benitez and Hearns. They don't come close. Mayweather beat guys he was supposed to beat, there was very few occasions he was in fights with someone as good as him, they just don't exist today. Leonard fought three guys who were all his level and all a level above any of Mayweather's opposition.

I don't know why you're pretending this is some kind of irrefutable argument your making. You're in a very small minority for believing Mayweather ranks higher than Leonard, you'll struggle to find people who agree with you so saying stuff like - ' Like I've said before the only argument is to say dumb shit like "that opponent was no Duran!' is just ignorant, you know there's plenty of arguments to be made and the consensus opinion is that you are wrong.

No, not everybody. But you said no hopers. Nobody had a meaner record than Ali in the 1970s. All the other guys (Norton, Frazier, Foreman) slowed down after their first big fight in the 1970s, like you usually do once you reach the top. It's still done that way today - one or two fights a year. But Ali kept fighting, and fighting, and fighting top opposition.

Fedor is the staple MMA GOAT, similar to Robinson I'd say. Anderson was #2 until the debacle. GSP is top 5, no doubt but too conservative to be #1.

Can somebody explain why Fedor is supposed to be better than Werdum expect for nostalgic reasons? Compare their resume.

Yeah, you can pick holes in every resume but the fact remains he beat all comers in thrilling fashion. Guys like Big Nog, Coleman, Cro Cop, Schilt, Goodridge, Arlovski and Hunto were all dangerous hombres.

Back