Mayweather's top 5 fighters of all time

This isn't the first time Mayweather has slighted Ali. Back in April, prior to the Fight of the Century, Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith that "no one can ever brainwash me to make me believe that Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali was better than me."

ROFL

Does anyone take this guy seriously?

1) Ali fought at a time when multiple legends that could have been the champ in any other era were fighting; easily the greatest HW era, if not the best boxing era period.

2) Ali ALWAYS stepped up to fight the best- Patterson, Liston, Moore, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Young, Shavers, Holmes, you name it. He fought Frazier and Norton (who both could been dominant champs in other eras) 3 times each, 6 BRUTAL fights.

3) Don't even get me started on the era that Floyd fought in.

4) Compare to #2 above- there was ONE such fighter in Floyd's era, and what did Floyd do? Fought him a grand total of 1 time way late in their careers after that fighter had plummeted and started losing.

5) Floyd, you are a joke.

Theyre not better than Floyd

Last edited:
There not better than Floyd

Have you ever actually seen any of them fight?

They are 100 times better than Floyd's competition, and Ali fought them repeatedly start to finish in his career. He PROVED he was the all-time great. We could speculate that Floyd is, but he never proved it with the competition he fought, least of all a half baked old version of Manny that he ran from until the twilight of their careers.

all i can say is floyd and his legacy is far from a done deal and that I absolutely think it will diminish as time goes on.

They are 100 times better than Floyd's competition, and Ali fought them repeatedly start to finish in his career. He PROVED he was the all-time great. We could speculate that Floyd is, but he never proved it with the competition he fought, least of all a half baked old version of Manny that he ran from until the twilight of their careers.

Yep floyd beat the worst version of pac ever lol

Its funny he beat him so easy but he was so scared. Floyd looked terrified in that ring too

This isn't the first time Mayweather has slighted Ali. Back in April, prior to the Fight of the Century, Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith that "no one can ever brainwash me to make me believe that Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali was better than me."

ROFL

Does anyone take this guy seriously?

Ali was a stepping stone at a point when Mayweather is still clearly the best fighter in the world. Hard for some people to accept but its the truth. Floyd isn't losing to guys on the level of Ken Norton and Leon Spinks.

1) Ali fought at a time when multiple legends that could have been the champ in any other era were fighting; easily the greatest HW era, if not the best boxing era period.
Nothing wrong with the era of fighters Floyd has fought in either. On the other hand, some guys that Ali fought and struggled with were pretty mediocre fighters. Ken Norton for example.

2) Ali ALWAYS stepped up to fight the best- Patterson, Liston, Moore, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Young, Shavers, Holmes, you name it. He fought Frazier and Norton (who both could been dominant champs in other eras) 3 times each, 6 BRUTAL fights.
Floyd has been fighting nothing but champions and P4Pers for well over a decade. And honestly, lol at Shavers and Norton. Frankly, the Norton fights were embarrassing for Ali. Shavers never beat anyone either. Moore was like 300 years old too. Holmes dominated Ali. Did you put any thought into that list?

3) Don't even get me started on the era that Floyd fought in.
No, please start. I would like to hear this.

4) Compare to #2 above- there was ONE such fighter in Floyd's era, and what did Floyd do? Fought him a grand total of 1 time way late in their careers after that fighter had plummeted and started losing.
WTF? Cotto, Mosley, Delahoya, Corrales, Castillo, Hatton, Pacquiao, MArquez etc were all top ranked guys around their weight class who were regularly ranked top 10 p4p.[/quote]

5) Floyd, you are a joke.

Meh, if you don't care for him or his style thats your business but to deny that he's fought a truckload of great fighters is just intentional ignorance.

Robinson rates over Floyd in my opinion. I don't think Ali is untouchable in the p4p debate though.

Last edited:
Yeah they were.. and they wen't to deeper water to prove it

Not really.

Boxing history has just elevated these guys to legendary status, something Floyd will achieve in 15 years or so.

all i can say is floyd and his legacy is far from a done deal and that I absolutely think it will diminish as time goes on.

Nah, thats not how it works.

What a ridiuclous post. Its not so much that I disagree about ali, but you're being silly in regards to Mayweather. His level of comeptition can't really be questioned. Floyd has tested himself against pretty much everyone.

Not really.

Boxing history has just elevated these guys to legendary status, something Floyd will achieve in 15 years or so.

Yes really... Floyd is great.. no doubt, but he is not a Ray Leonard or Ray Robinson or Ali or Duran because his major challenges were simply not on the level of those fighters major challenges..or past prime.. or he underperformed... in fact, he often under-performed ... how you perform in your biggest moments is part of your greatness... In those moments when he could choose to either elevate his game and show the world just how great he was.. he chose to just do enough to get the W...and nothing more.. that leaves questions.. was he capable of being greater? What would happen if somebody could deal with that level of performance? Does he have another gear?
We don't have to ask that about his superiors..they pridefully displayed their top speeds to the world... against much more dangerous opponents..

Yes really... Floyd is great.. no doubt, but he is not a Ray Leonard or Ray Robinson or Ali or Duran because his major challenges were simply not on the level of those fighters major challenges..or past prime.. or he underperformed... in fact, he often under-performed ... how you perform in your biggest moments is part of your greatness... In those moments when he could choose to either elevate his game and show the world just how great he was.. he chose to just do enough to get the W...and nothing more.. that leaves questions.. was he capable of being greater? What would happen if somebody could deal with that level of performance? Does he have another gear?
We don't have to ask that about his superiors..they pridefully displayed their top speeds to the world... against much more dangerous opponents..

Floyd has fought and beat more great fighters than Leonard and Duran. This goes back to the "he's no Duran" argument where you won't be able to support your claim in any other way.

Floyd has fought and beat more great fighters than Leonard and Duran. This goes back to the "he's no Duran" argument where you won't be able to support your claim in any other way.

I have picked up more 5's than you have 10's.. but would trade them all for 1 10!

Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler > than everyone Mayweather has ever faced..

consistently doing what the world already knows you can handle, isn't impressive.. greatness is about challenging yourself to do things that world doesn't know if you can acheive or not...

For instance, if Ray Leonard and Duran fought right now, they would damn sure fight GGG..Duran might lose because of the size difference...might win too though.. but there is something to be said..win or lose.. for daring to be great..for daring to do shit that people doubt you can do...

When has Floyd seriously been in that situation?

I have picked up more 5's than you have 10's.. but would trade them all for 1 10!

Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler > than everyone Mayweather has ever faced..
Based on what? Your preference? I'd rate lots of guys Floyd has fought over Benitez all time. Floyd has certainly fought a larger quantity of quality than Leonard did, no doubt and hasn't lost to guys like Norris along the way.

consistently doing what the world already knows you can handle, isn't impressive.. greatness is about challenging yourself to do things that world doesn't know if you can acheive or not...
Thats a nice way to cheapen it. Floyds been beating top guys for years. Leonard fought guys like kalule, Ali fought his share of no hopers too. Just like I said, all you're basing this on is name recognition. Wow, Tommy Hearns!

For instance, if Ray Leonard and Duran fought right now, they would damn sure fight GGG..Duran might lose because of the size difference...might win too though.. but there is something to be said..win or lose.. for daring to be great..for daring to do shit that people doubt you can do...

When has Floyd seriously been in that situation?

Well, Leonard began his career at welter so the move up to MW was not that different than Floyds jump from 130 to 140. Floyds moved through 5 weight classes. Duran was not that successful above 135 either, Leonard fight aside. Almost all of his losses came at 147 and above and quite honestly, Duran was embarrssing himself other than the fight with Barkely. I'm not sure whats so great about that. LEonard and Duran were getting their asses kicked at the same point in their careeers that Mayweather is still dominating.

And Leonard didn't leap up to fight a guy like Golovkin either. He fought Donny Lalonde.

Floyd moved through 5 divisions because he shrunk himself down to gain an advantage early in his career..he was a huge jlight..a big lw.. got closer to his natural weight a jw..and is a perfect fit at welter.. Ray, who is roughly the same size as Floyd, simply started at his natural weight.

and no.. it's not just about name recognition..which you highlight perfectly when you mention Kalule as if that was a weak opponent.. just because you don't recognize his name 34 years after they fought, doesn't mean he was a weak opponent.. he was 36-0

You can say that you think fighters are more accomplished than Benitez and that's fine..w/e... but would you really pick anybody from 154 down to defeat prime Benitez with the exception of maybe Floyd? I wouldn't.. because Benitez is a better fighter than anybody Floyd has ever faced...

I don't understand your "wow, Tommy Hearns!" statement... as if Tommy wouldn't knock the dust off anybody from 160 down..including Floyd.. it's not just the name..it's the man behind the name..it's one of the most feared punchers in boxing history..with a range advantage over everyone..and the speed to match everyone.. and Ray Leonard beat him.
Lastly
Leonard did leap up to fight a guy like GGG.. he fought Hagler...one of the scariest figures in boxing...

Floyd moved through 5 divisions because he shrunk himself down to gain an advantage early in his career..he was a huge jlight..a big lw.. got closer to his natural weight a jw..and is a perfect fit at welter.. Ray, who is roughly the same size as Floyd, simply started at his natural weight.
Ray is several inches taller and a naturally bigger man than Floyd. Do you disqualify Hearns as an elite welter because he sweated down below his natural weight?

and no.. it's not just about name recognition..which you highlight perfectly when you mention Kalule as if that was a weak opponent.. just because you don't recognize his name 34 years after they fought, doesn't mean he was a weak opponent.. he was 36-0
Floyd was 36-0 years ago. Kalule wasn't elite just because Ray kicked his ass. It is absolutely about name recognition. You're comparing guys that have been built up to legendary status to guys who are still actively fighting.

say that you think fighters are more accomplished than Benitez and that's fine..w/e... but would you really pick anybody from 154 down to defeat prime Benitez with the exception of maybe Floyd? I wouldn't.. because Benitez is a better fighter than anybody Floyd has ever faced...
I don't really agree. Benitez wasn't unbeatable but any stretch of the imagination.

understand your "wow, Tommy Hearns!" statement... as if Tommy wouldn't knock the dust off anybody from 160 down..including Floyd.. it's not just the name..it's the man behind the name..it's one of the most feared punchers in boxing history..with a range advantage over everyone..and the speed to match everyone.. and Ray Leonard beat him.
Yeah, you do understand what I mean. You rate Hearns as some incredible win (Which it was, sure) but ignore that Hearns hadn't really even come into his own as a pro at that point. He's never even fought to a decision before.
Lastly
Leonard did leap up to fight a guy like GGG.. he fought Hagler...one of the scariest figures in boxing...

He didn't make that fight when Hagler was near his peak. Hagler was still elite, no doubt but had certainly shown vulnerability in the Mugabi fight.

Floyd has fought more champions, more p4pers than Leonard did. You can't argue against that. He's had more success vs championship calibre fighters than Leonard. The only argument would be that Duran and Hearns were "better" than say, Pacquiao or Marquez but you can't really support it. Its all about those legendary names. Duran quite frankly IMO was an embarrassing loss for Ray, especially when you consider how poorly Duran performed against every other elite level welter that he got in the ring with. Duran is a fighter whos career is viewed like a highlight reel. No one remembers his schooling by Benitez. No one recalls him losing to Kirkland Laing. He's remembered for being so great because he was so fun to watch. His record against the elite is not that strong. Lost to Hearns, lost to Benitez, lost to Hagler....

Ali fought his share of no hopers too.

Silly comment. When you're the champ, you have to take what comes. How strong your opposition will be remebered is never in your hands. Maybe you don't consider Mildenberger, Folley, Terrell, Williams any good, but Ali had one mean record in the 1960s, and even a meaner one in the 1970s.

Nonsense. They fought so often for the money and to stay sharp. Top guys make more money today, so they don't need to fight tomato cans as often. Mayweather and Pac for example, spar better guys than the cans who inflated Robinsons record.

This isn't including the true ATGs on a guy like Robinson's resume, obviously just the fluff that made up the majority of his record.

Also, no one is forcing you to discuss this. If you find the conversation weird, feel free to go to another thread and discuss something else. I'm not keeping you here.

Thanks for reaffirming what I already said.

The amount of bums Robinson fought is irrelevant to his best wins & the sheer quantity of top contenders he fought.

Marciano did't fight one elite fighter who wasn't years past his prime except arguably Charles.

Archie Moore was in a far better, more consistent run of form than the likes of De La Hoya, Mosley & Pacquiao, and Walcott was the definition of a later bloomer.

I'm not that familiar with Santa Cruz, maybe someone else can can confirm what you say. But I know he's fighting Mares next and possibly Rigo. So lets just agree that he's finally fighting the top guys after fighting a list of lower ranked opponents. Ray "how could you not include him in'yo'top'5" Robinson did nothing else.

Roy Jones Jr. could've easily went to 100-1 had he done it.

The point was that you can make good money for fighting tuneups/showcases/bums nowadays. Haymon fighters are actually famous for it, hence so many boxers being drawn to him.

Back