Mayweather's top 5 fighters of all time

The Hearns quote was the response to the Moore thing. It wasn't intended to be a riddle.

You might dare but I think anyone can recognize that MArquez was a better fighter p4p all time than Norton and its not even close.

Marquez is kind of like Norton without the sporadic KO losses. So, all the positives without the negatives.

Marquez is kind of like Norton without the sporadic KO losses. So, all the positives without the negatives.

No, I don't accept that comparison. Norton had the one win over Ali and was a punching bag or the rest of is career. Juan's run at LW alone is worth more than Norton's entire career.

Ridiculous comparison.

No, I don't accept that comparison. Norton had the one win over Ali and was a punching bag or the rest of is career. Juan's run at LW alone is worth more than Norton's entire career.

Ridiculous comparison.

While I don't agree that it's a fair coparison..you are underselling Norton big time.. his fight with Holmes showed where his level is...one of the best fights ever..

Sugar Ray Leonard is definitely a bigger guy than Floyd. He's 2 inches taller, and I think he also a slightly bigger frame, even for his height.

I don't have much else to offer to this conversation, except that this is a case of one guy's resume being top-heavy, and the other guy's resume being deeper. SRL has 4 huge names, but not a whole lot more. Floyd lacks huge names, but has beaten more champions.

I don't think there's a clear cut right and wrong answer, it's all based on how convincing SRL's big 4 wins are compared to the depth of Floyd's resume.

While I don't agree that it's a fair coparison..you are underselling Norton big time.. his fight with Holmes showed where his level is...one of the best fights ever..

He lost that fight.

Augustus had a fun fight with Mayweather but that doesn't make him great.

He lost that fight.

Augustus had a fun fight with Mayweather but that doesn't make him great.

Castillo had a more comparable fight with Mayweather and that does make him great.

Castillo had a more comparable fight with Mayweather and that does make him great.

I don't think Castillo is great because he almost beat Mayweather though. He had a pretty great career outside of that. Isn't he mostly remembered for his fights with Corrales?

Castillo did more than lose to Mayweather.

I'm on the fence about how great Castillo was. I think he was very good and had some good wins but sort of a quick peak and an even faster downfall.

I don't think Castillo is great because he almost beat Mayweather though. He had a pretty great career outside of that. Isn't he mostly remembered for his fights with Corrales?

For losing to Corrales?
No.. he had a good run that was kicked off with a win over Stevie Johnston and a contraversal draw in the rematch that should have been a Johnston win.. he stepped his game up after that.. Beat some pretty good fighters.. The Corrales fight was just an ugly mess that is reminiscent of Gatti vs. Ward.. more about excitement than greatness..well..in the technical sense at least.

Castillo did more than lose to Mayweather.

I'm on the fence about how great Castillo was. I think he was very good and had some good wins but sort of a quick peak and an even faster downfall.

Well, Im simply saying that he at least established himself in the same league as one of the greatest Heavyweights ever while that heavyweight was prime...

That means something in my opinion

128-1 by the time he was 30 with wins over multiple hall of famers

anybody that doesn't have him in the top ten is simply trying to be trendy...

This.

There's "thinking for yourself" and then there's "getting cute to try to convince people you're thinking for yourself".

For losing to Corrales?
No.. he had a good run that was kicked off with a win over Stevie Johnston and a contraversal draw in the rematch that should have been a Johnston win.. he stepped his game up after that.. Beat some pretty good fighters.. The Corrales fight was just an ugly mess that is reminiscent of Gatti vs. Ward.. more about excitement than greatness..well..in the technical sense at least.

You know they fought twice, right?

You know they fought twice, right?

I know they fought twice and were scheduled to fight thrice but Castillo couldnt make weight causing the fight to be cancelled 1 day prior to the event... but people remember the first... the rematch was probably wrongfully attributed to the fact that Castillo also didn't make weight, but Corrales agreed to fight anyways

This.

There's "thinking for yourself" and then there's "getting cute to try to convince people you're thinking for yourself".

No one here is claiming SRR wasn't top 10 at least. He's my number 1 along with everyone else.

But that "128-1" is misleading.

Ridiculous comparison.

Well, no. He had three extremely close fights with the greatest HW of all time, he had an extremely close (as in go either way) decision with a close to prime Holmes (as in a usually referred to top 5 HW of all time). He beat several top 10 HWs in his career. Yeah, Marquez has a better resume than Norton and is a greater fighter especially considering Norton's KO losses as was my point, but I was saying he was similar to Marquez if we erased the KO losses here and there. I didn't say Marquez = Norton, for Christ sakes.

Norton and Marquez is an odd comparison.

I also wouldn't call Norton a punching bag. He just didn't do well against extraordinary punchers, but Joe Frazier touched the canvas more often than Norton actually. Wladimir Klitschko went down more often than Norton. At least Norton had the courage to step in the ring with them. He was very aware of each mans punching power before he boxed them.

Norton got knocked 3x within 7 years (1974-1981). Mike Tyson got knocked out 3x within 12 years (1990-2002). Maybe it would have happened within a shorter period of time had he not ducked Lennox Lewis for so long. Was Mike Tyson a punching bag now?

Btw., Buster Douglas and Holyfield didn't hit nearly as hard as anyone who ever knocked out Norton.

Last edited:
Well, no. He had three extremely close fights with the greatest HW of all time, he had an extremely close (as in go either way) decision with a close to prime Holmes (as in a usually referred to top 5 HW of all time). He beat several top 10 HWs in his career. Yeah, Marquez has a better resume than Norton and is a greater fighter especially considering Norton's KO losses as was my point, but I was saying he was similar to Marquez if we erased the KO losses here and there. I didn't say Marquez = Norton, for Christ sakes.
I think its a bad comparison,no matter how you slice it. I see 0 similarities in Norton and Marquez.

Norton and Marquez is an odd comparison.

I also wouldn't call Norton a punching bag. He just didn't do well against extraordinary punchers, but Joe Frazier touched the canvas more often than Norton actually. Wladimir Klitschko went down more often than Norton. At least Norton had the courage to step in the ring with them. He was very aware of each mans punching power before he boxed them.

Norton got knocked 3x within 7 years (1974-1981). Mike Tyson got knocked out 3x within 12 years (1990-2002). Maybe it would have happened within a shorter period of time had he not ducked Lennox Lewis for so long. Was Mike Tyson a punching bag now?
Tyson was also more accomplished than Norton.

Norton had 1 win over ali and that defines his career.

Btw., Buster Douglas and Holyfield didn't hit nearly as hard as anyone who ever knocked out Norton.
Even Jose Luis Garcia?

^ Happens. At one point Donovan Ruddock got knocked out by a bar room brawler like David Jaco. Then he improved and had two bonafide wars with Tyson.

Back