Max vs Volk 2 in the works

hopefully he will land a punch or a takedown this time so we can have some fun, because their first fight was as boring as it gets ...
As boring as it gets? I challenge you to watch Valentina/Carmouche or Black Beast/Ngannou and tell me the Volk Max fight was as boring as it gets. Incidentally wouldn't you blame Max for your boredom? Surely guys clearly on their way to losing fight should behoove themselves to try and alter the outcome, Max got out fought and out strategized, simple as that, though Max admittedly, somewhat crazily in my opinion, thought he won.

Whilst I don't like immediate title rematches unless the first fight was particularly close it will be interesting to see what, if any adjustments Max tries to make to rectify the outcome and how Volk responds to any potential change in tactics. Seeing as Max somehow thought he won that fight he might think no changes are necessary. If he comes in with that attitude he's going to end up in the purgatory Aldo was at 145 and will spend his time either killing off contenders at 145 or perhaps hopefully take the time to make the move to 155 properly.

As boring as it gets? I challenge you to watch Valentina/Carmouche or Black Beast/Ngannou and tell me the Volk Max fight was as boring as it gets. Incidentally wouldn't you blame Max for your boredom? Surely guys clearly on their way to losing fight should behoove themselves to try and alter the outcome, Max got out fought and out strategized, simple as that, though Max admittedly, somewhat crazily in my opinion, thought he won.

Whilst I don't like immediate title rematches it will be interesting to see what, if any adjustments Max tries to make to rectify the outcome and how Volk responds to any potential change in tactics. Seeing as Max somehow thought he won that fight he might think no changes are necessary. If he comes in with that attitude he's going to end up in the purgatory Aldo was at 145 and will spend his time either killing off contenders at 145 or perhaps hopefully take the time to make the move to 155 properly.
max was the champ, I can understand why he was fighting carefully, but volk was the challenger and the one supposed to bring the fight. I don't blame him, he became champ thanks to that, he followed the gameplay and won. But it doesn't change the fact that he is the one who made the fight boring.

<JagsKiddingMe>
Max lost decisively but Dana can't accept that. I love max but immediate rematches are really fucking stupid. If max loses, which I think he will, it'll be a sad day. If max wins, we get a trilogy. Zombie gets screwed. This is a fucking stupid idea. 0/10. Fuck Dana white for this.
well said. I am sick of immediate rematches too. ALL Dana seems to do these days is "What fight is gonna generate most PPV money next ?" He just ignores who is next in-line. Max was WELL beaten and doesn't deserve a rematch. But f'ing Dana probably thinks that Volkanovski doesn't (yet) have a big enough name so he's simply gonna ignore that Max doesn't deserve it, and give him a re-match anyway.

What IS the point of rankings ? So....if you get a title-shot and beat the Champ then you actually HAVE to beat them twice in a row? is that it?
this is UFC in 2020. sad.

Max doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. He was clearly beaten and everyone but Joe Rogan knows Aldo had a way better legacy up to this point.

Holloway is 1-2 in his last 3 fights too. Kind of odd to grant an immediate rematch to a guy who lost a very clear unanimous decision. He only has 3 title defenses as well, and I don't want to diminish the resume' here but clearly Aldo and Edgar were a bit on the downside right...

Zombie should have got a title shot.

i respectfully disagree if anyone deserves a rematch its Max Holloway, he never turned down an opponent the UFC wanted to give him, he woukd just shut up and fight.

If Max pushes forward more and actual check low kicks I see him winning. Honestly he took almost 0 damage in the first fight.

volk was supposed to be the most dangerous fighter, power wise but he couldn't land clean other than low kicks, plus he was the one going to the hospital for a surgery because of the fight, not max ...
volk landed clean tons of times and stopped max in his tracks. what were you watching

Such a bad match up, I mean look at his face ! the dude got brutalize, he is scared of volk for his entire life, impossible fight to win !!
maxresdefault.jpg
Does he have the belt with him after a clear decision loss?
Why couldnt Holloway win?
Why did he allow himself to lose after being tickled by Volk for 25 minutes?

Instant rematches are rarely ever booked in good faith imo. Aldo never got his rematch against Conor but joanna, Cody and now max are getting them, because Max is apparently a draw now. Instant rematch is really just Dana's way of saying he doesn't have faith in you and wants to see you lose the title. So much so that he's willing to sacrifice his own "draw" to get it done. Look at joanna. It took her two years to become a title contender at 115 again and during those years she's been shoveling shit and having breakdowns left right and center and that instant rematch is prattle to blame. I have no sympathy for her at all. I hate Joanna but like her striking style, but being a gatekeeper, for the duration of rose's reign must've done evil things to her self esteem. Imagine how fucked up it will be if max does lose, or more specifically gets finished and all these other motherfuckers fail to topple volk at 145 for the next two years. Max goes from "fEaThErWeIgHt gOaT" (according to Joe "I hate Jose Aldo" rogan) to gatekeeper overnight. Losing to volk was a natural outcome. The most natural thing is to let the division move on, let the next guy have his try and so on and so forth and when max finally earns it he steps up in 2021 maybe, and fights and maybe wins. This is why lw was such a great division back in the day.

Max doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. He was clearly beaten and everyone but Joe Rogan knows Aldo had a way better legacy up to this point.

Holloway is 1-2 in his last 3 fights too. Kind of odd to grant an immediate rematch to a guy who lost a very clear unanimous decision. He only has 3 title defenses as well, and I don't want to diminish the resume' here but clearly Aldo and Edgar were a bit on the downside right...

Zombie should have got a title shot.

Agree with everything except the last line which is the same kind of bias Joe Rogan has.

B0qDse5.gif

Yair has not lost since then. KZ should be behind Yair and Zabit in the title picture.

Either way, Volkanovski will defeat Max again.

Not a fan of this rematch but out of all the rematches that can be made for a belt, this would be the one to have.

Volk beat Max but he didn't look like a world beater of sorts

i respectfully disagree if anyone deserves a rematch its Max Holloway, he never turned down an opponent the UFC wanted to give him, he woukd just shut up and fight.
Here's the thing. You're right he fought everyone he was given but giving another shot right after losing like that is disrespectful to the division and a waste of opportunity. Korean zombie is surging right now. Max has no momentum coming into the fight. Kz vs volk in Australia. Easy sell. Volk has Australasia (nz Israel adesanya fans will be interested too) and kz has South Korea fans. South Koreans aren't wanting in the cash dept. A decent number can cross the pacific to back their Boi. And someone will get knocked out or submitted in that fight. If you book the rematch you miss out on that. Also booking the rematch is disrespectful because it completely dismisses other featherweights' work. It's super unfair. Max isn't entitled to instant rematches simply because he's a great guy and a fighter's fighter. There have been other great guys/women who fought all comers. Tyron woodley had four defences. Never sniffed the title again. Cyborg got her ass kicked, never got a rematch etc. Insta rematches set a bad precedent and really just imply that the rest of the division is insignificant. Look at heavyweight. DC is an Olympian, a family man, former double champ etc. But by giving Stipe to DC, you completely ignore Blaydes, jairzinho, Francis who aren't coming off of a loss. If you book that rematch these guys probably won't get a title shot until 2021. Imagine how crazy it would be to either give max to volk and then he loses twice to the same guy or he wins then we get a trilogy and kz has to "keep winning" until next year after killing moicano, bermudez, Frankie and potentially zabit. With ufc and its matchmaking before that title shot comes they'll probably put him uo against some sleeper nightmare matchup prospect like they did to jacare with Whittaker just to keep him away from the title.
I don't want fw to devolve into another administrative mess again.

Instant rematches are rarely ever booked in good faith imo. Aldo never got his rematch against Conor but joanna, Cody and now max are getting them, because Max is apparently a draw now. Instant rematch is really just Dana's way of saying he doesn't have faith in you and wants to see you lose the title. So much so that he's willing to sacrifice his own "draw" to get it done. Look at joanna. It took her two years to become a title contender at 115 again and during those years she's been shoveling shit and having breakdowns left right and center and that instant rematch is prattle to blame. I have no sympathy for her at all. I hate Joanna but like her striking style, but being a gatekeeper, for the duration of rose's reign must've done evil things to her self esteem. Imagine how fucked up it will be if max does lose, or more specifically gets finished and all these other motherfuckers fail to topple volk at 145 for the next two years. Max goes from "fEaThErWeIgHt gOaT" (according to Joe "I hate Jose Aldo" rogan) to gatekeeper overnight. Losing to volk was a natural outcome. The most natural thing is to let the division move on, let the next guy have his try and so on and so forth and when max finally earns it he steps up in 2021 maybe, and fights and maybe wins. This is why lw was such a great division back in the day.
@Doughie99

I think you could have given Max 1 Round max in that fight. Completely unnecessary rematch. I get he was champ for awhile, but it wasn't a close fight.

<JagsKiddingMe>
Max lost decisively but Dana can't accept that. I love max but immediate rematches are really fucking stupid. If max loses, which I think he will, it'll be a sad day. If max wins, we get a trilogy. Zombie gets screwed. We have another DC Stipe Francis hate boner triangle again. This is a fucking stupid idea. 0/10. Critical fail. Fuck Dana white for this. Fuck the matchmakers, fuck the UFC and anyone complicit in this shit. Are we gonna turn another G into a gatekeeper again? Really? Seeing max as a gatekeeper would break my heart and he's not top 5 at LW material either.

I don't think it is that negative man. Lets just enjoy it if it happens..

Agree with everything except the last line which is the same kind of bias Joe Rogan has.

B0qDse5.gif

Yair has not lost since then. KZ should be behind Yair and Zabit in the title picture.

Either way, Volkanovski will defeat Max again.

I was just throwing out a name really. Korean Zombie finished Edgar, which no one does. Edgar demolished Yair, so it's an MMA Math triangle really. You say he hasn't lost, yeah he's only fought Jeremy Stephens though so, he has 1 win really.

I don't think Yair deserves a title shot just yet. He doesn't have enough quality wins. Outside of Zombie he has no great wins, Stephens is a decent win, prior to that he was stopped by Edgar and beat up on a very washed up BJ Penn.

Zabit is awesome but doesn't have any big wins either, sucks that people are scared to fight him but is what it is. Neither of these guys really deserve it at all. A case can be made for Yair but it's weak, and like I said Zombie doesn't have some awesome case for a title shot but I would say he's clearly the guy right now. He's 3-1 since returning after a ~4 year hiatus (losing to Aldo in a title fight). He lost to Yair, fair point, but he's finished Moicano and Edgar recently and that's better than either Zabit or Yair's recent credentials.

Also wasn't KZ winning that fight and lost at the buzzer lmao, what an idiot.

@GSPrush1 Fair enough, reviewing the case for everyone else makes me more inclined to it. But at the same time I don't like an immediate rematch for someone that wasn't a long-time champion or if the fight wasn't a total fluke or extremely close. Silva, GSP, Jones, Aldo, Mighty Mouse all deserved or would deserve a rematch. I don't think Holloway does, and he was clearly beaten.

Last edited:
Does he have the belt with him after a clear decision loss?
Why couldnt Holloway win?
Why did he allow himself to lose after being tickled by Volk for 25 minutes?
he got outpointed, and accepted it, but volk is not a nightmare match up like you said. dustin is, and that was the face after the fight :
12119965_web1_UFC-236-Mixed-Martial-Arts-1-1-1.jpg

because Max is a draw whether you want to except it or not!
Is he tho? Where's ur evidence?

And even then, it's still dumb..

I will ACCEPT that he's exciting, EXCEPT his best card did 300k against ortega.. so hes not exactly popular...

Back