Max vs Volk 2 in the works

Zombie probably should have been next, but I won't complain. I love max too

It's not a quick fix at all, but Max needs to figure how to get his rhythm back once it's been broken, or have a few more (1 or 2) in the toolbox. That's really all he needs to make this a completely different fight. Easier said than done though. No doubt in my mind those leg kicks are being addressed.
You do realize that volkanovski didn't use wrestling at all in that fight right? There's another dimension that poses its own problems that we're not considering. He has Max's cardio, good punching power, well rounded striking, the feints, iq, speed, good greco roman style stuff and dirty boxing, leg kicks. It'll be extremely difficult to step up and overcome all those challenges after just a few months of training. I'm sure you'd agree.

Oh yay. I love when almost every champ gets an immediate rematch........

I'm no fan of rematches but I don't get the BS here about Holloway not "deserving" a rematch.

-Holloway won 14 straight at FW over a 5 year span before he lost his title to Volk
-Holloway defended the belt 3 times vs the #1 contender each time
-Holloway lost his belt via judges decision. He wasn't finished like Jose Aldo who got the immediate rematch 6 months after Holloway TKO'd him

Featherweight is super stacked rn and there are a bunch of great matchups waiting beyond a rematch, but to just shit all over Holloway while making BS claims left and right about him not "deserving" things is simply not gonna cut it, even on Sherdog

he got outpointed, and accepted it, but volk is not a nightmare match up like you said. dustin is, and that was the face after the fight :
12119965_web1_UFC-236-Mixed-Martial-Arts-1-1-1.jpg
I never said nightmare matchup. I said bad matchup and that's based on Holloway clearly losing the fight.
He wasnt able to damage Volk and didnt have a cardio advantage late. We saw 25 minutes of Volkanovski winning.

max was the champ, I can understand why he was fighting carefully, but volk was the challenger and the one supposed to bring the fight. I don't blame him, he became champ thanks to that, he followed the gameplay and won. But it doesn't change the fact that he is the one who made the fight boring.
That's very odd logic, you're effectively giving Max a pass for doing little whilst clearly losing the fight, well perhaps except in his own mind, whilst simultaneously saying Volk's responsible for making it in your mind boring.

Yeah these are pretty much my thoughts. Dana just gives instant rematches to Champions he WANTS back as champions because he considers them a draw, so people like Conor, like Jon Jones, like Max, he'll give instant rematch but......ALdo???? NO WAY! Because he doesn't want his Irish lovechild Conor to maybe lose badly.

So there's no consistency to it. If you manage to beat a long-standing and kinda POPULAR champion it's very likely that yu'l hve to beat them TWICE. UFC are getting more and more extreme about this. THere's not even any pretence in what's fair or reasonable. Hence the McG BS where he got smashed by Khabib, and he has a 155lb record of 1-1 and just because he beat one guy at 170lbs its like "oh yes you get the Khabib rematch!" Not a fan of it.

Max doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. He was clearly beaten and everyone but Joe Rogan knows Aldo had a way better legacy up to this point.

Holloway is 1-2 in his last 3 fights too. Kind of odd to grant an immediate rematch to a guy who lost a very clear unanimous decision. He only has 3 title defenses as well, and I don't want to diminish the resume' here but clearly Aldo and Edgar were a bit on the downside right...

Zombie should have got a title shot.
I don't really like immediate rematches because they clog divisions up but let's not pretend Holloway wasn't on a 14 fight winstreak (at 145). That might be the biggest divisional winstreak in UFC history. Still like I said I would prefer him not get the rematch and KZ get the TS instead but let's not downplay what Max has done at 145.

max was the champ, I can understand why he was fighting carefully, but volk was the challenger and the one supposed to bring the fight. I don't blame him, he became champ thanks to that, he followed the gameplay and won. But it doesn't change the fact that he is the one who made the fight boring.

I differ, I think Volk came with a game plan to win just like against Aldo. In both fights he w was clearly winning and a few times max and Aldo opened up for the exchanges. Volk would sit on his punches and throw power combinations... both Aldo and Max were hesitant to open up for long due to that. I fail to see the guy who outstrikes and clearly winning each round is to blame for a dull fight.

He was even in Max's face talking to him after most exchanges. Max had plenty of chances to push the fight to create a exciting fight, not just that he had to otherwise he was going to lose. He chose not to ( although he and his corner possibly thought he'd won ) which still confuses me.

Max deserves the rematch but I would have preferred a different opponent and movement in the top 10. It is what it is tho

So either Max loses and becomes irrelevant instantly at 145. Or Max wins, then, especially if its close do we have a trilogy fight? After all Volk is on an 18 fight win streak and hasnt lost in the UFC. Do we wait to 2021 for anyone to get a shot? Even if KZ/Yair have to beat Zabit and Ortega each maybe?

It SHOULD be..

Volk vs KZ. In Australian PPV card. Big Australia/Asia card. Hooker in a big co-main fight if he gets by Felder, Hooker v Poirier would be great.

Max vs Zabit - Five round headline fight, Max asserts himself as the number 1 contender or Zabit proves he can fight five rounds, and has his big win to get him the shot. Make it in Hawaii, Max has been crying for a big Hawaii card for a while, UFC didn't want to take a PPV there but this would be an easy sell as a fightnight headliner, regardless of what else is on the card.

Yair vs Ortega - Depending on what happens in Max/Zabit winner of one of these two fights gets the next shot.

This is stupid. If Volkanovski beats him again, Max is finished at 145, everybody will have his number, the aura is completely gone. Max hasn't had the time to improve. The Macedonian should fight somebody new, like Zombie.

This is stupid. If Volkanovski beats him again, Max is finished at 145, everybody will have his number, the aura is completely gone. Max hasn't had the time to improve. The Macedonian should fight somebody new, like Zombie.
The Australian with Macedonian heritage seeing as he was born in NSW in Australia.

That's very odd logic, you're effectively giving Max a pass for doing little whilst clearly losing the fight, well perhaps except in his own mind, whilst simultaneously saying Volk's responsible for making it in your mind boring.
That's not an odd logic, it is the based of every combat sport, the challenger is the one supposed to bring the fight, sorry that you are just a casual and don't know about that.

Max doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. He was clearly beaten and everyone but Joe Rogan knows Aldo had a way better legacy up to this point.

Holloway is 1-2 in his last 3 fights too. Kind of odd to grant an immediate rematch to a guy who lost a very clear unanimous decision. He only has 3 title defenses as well, and I don't want to diminish the resume' here but clearly Aldo and Edgar were a bit on the downside right...

Zombie should have got a title shot.
Volk is injures for 6 months , KZ takes another fight in the mean time and gets a clear finish he is the next guy in line

I never said nightmare matchup. I said bad matchup and that's based on Holloway clearly losing the fight.
He wasnt able to damage Volk and didnt have a cardio advantage late. We saw 25 minutes of Volkanovski winning.
again that's wasn't the face of someone who faced a bad match up ... it is like saying Serra was a bad match up for GSP ... max was barely touched, for whatever reason he though he was winning the fight, which is dumb, but he never was in trouble in the fight. He just got outpointed by low kicks and nothing else.

That's not what a bad match up is, dustin is a bad match up, tony ferguson is arguably the nightmare match up. Volk was just a good opponent with a great safe gameplay to edge the fight, nothing else.

That's not an odd logic, it is the based of every combat sport, the challenger is the one supposed to bring the fight, sorry that you are just a casual and don't know about that.
Lol wow that was a pathetic response, no need to get your panties in a twist mate, I get it your upset your favorite fighter lost and it wasn't via a war no need to have a tantrum about it. Great OG account to call people casual btw.

Dana and his shitty rematches. Why give us this fight so soon. The first fight wasnt even that good.

Meh it’s a little too soon for my taste. They should mix it up a bit like giving KZ a title shot first.

If Max didn't lose to Poirer, I think everybody would be happy with this rematch. No champ deserves it more than Max. The first fight wasn't nearly as one-sided as something like Usman/Woodley. Also, Max is going to have a new gameplan, no doubt.

Or give Aldo the title shot.

<mma3>

Back