Max Holloway Disputes Judges' Scores After Losing Title

How did you score the fight?

• Total voters
I said it during the fight but you have to wonder what the hell his corner was telling him "oh, yeah, Max, baby.. Keep doing what you're doing. All those leg kicks don't hurt. Keep on stylin. you got this all the way, man".

Individual rounds may have been close, but as a whole, volk beat on him. Competitive, but still fairly clear cut.

Regardless of what he thinks, his corner failed him by letting him keep thinking he had it in the bag. They should've put a fire in him to do more, especially after the third round.

I didn't particularly enjoy the fight but I was thoroughly impressed with Volk. I had him winning 3-2 at worst. I don't think this is a particularly delusional mindset seeing as how he was not judging the fight, though his corner should have known he was down on the cards after round 3 and needed a finish in the last 2 to win most likely. It's a pet peeve of mine when corners tell their fighters they are winning when a fight is close. Like DC usually eludes to, I feel it better to assume your fighter is losing even if they are marginally winning. That's just me though.

Yeah it seemed like Alex was more paranoid about the rounds than his corner.. " you're 2 rounds up " are you sure? "Definitely, stay calm Alex it's going how we planned "

Something tells me if they thought he was down that 5th round would've turned into chaos. Great coaching really. Even when Alex would begin to over extend you would here "ah ah no valm it down"

I was surprised max thought he had it honestly but I don't think it harms my view of him. Having the little guy around must be hard. So i can imagine just wanting to brush off the loss rather than getting deeply emotional and really analysing it properly. I'm sure he will in his own space.

Still a max fan

Max really only has himself to be blamed.

Seems like he believed volk was ready for war when really he just planned on leg kicking the shit outta him

Where was the war from Max? I saw none of his pressure and volume.

I need to rewatch the fight on mute.

Rogan and DC were making such big deals about every leg kick being landed on Holloway they were the only strikes I was paying attention to.

I'm leaning on believing that two of the judges that has it 48-47 Volkanovski were probably more correct than fans listening to the commentary.
FWIW, AV out landed Max in the first three rounds. Max slightly out landed AV in the last two, but just barely. Ultimately, AV out landed Max 157 to 134 in significant strikes. 48-47 is reasonable, but so is 49-46.

https://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/By-the-Numbers-UFC-245-167487

Everyone has a bias for themselves, that's not new, so when you consider that and realize that he's viewing it as any possible way a judge could conceivably give him the round, he could think he got rounds 2, 4 and 5. He didn't, but he did win at least 1 judge's scores of 3 separate rounds, and did the same with sherdog's scoring.

Yeah it seemed like Alex was more paranoid about the rounds than his corner.. " you're 2 rounds up " are you sure? "Definitely, stay calm Alex it's going how we planned "

Something tells me if they thought he was down that 5th round would've turned into chaos. Great coaching really. Even when Alex would begin to over extend you would here "ah ah no valm it down"

I was surprised max thought he had it honestly but I don't think it harms my view of him. Having the little guy around must be hard. So i can imagine just wanting to brush off the loss rather than getting deeply emotional and really analysing it properly. I'm sure he will in his own space.

Still a max fan
Agreed and me as well. Max really is tough to hate as is Volk

Max could go 0-3 if they rematch.
He better take a tune up fight if he's smart. 1-4 is fuckload better than 0-3.

Max mildly concussed? Or just not being a good sport? He will need to accept the loss and learn from it if he wants any chance at holding the belt again.

Yeah I honestly don't mind his commentary but I was definitely thinking they need to keep him on neutral fights. He better not be the commentary for khabib/ tony. I think he'd get a bit silly
I think (just going by memory) that when Khabib fights, the UFC deliberately generally does not use Cormier for cage-side commentary, for obvious reasons, given they both train together at AKA.

Hate immediate rematches, why does a fighter have to beat someone twice in a row to be considered a 'real' champ? Makes no sense.
It's really stupid and massively devalues winning a world title. And keeps divisions clogged up for no reason.

Max didn’t push his usual pace till later when he was behind, can’t just let a guy eat you up with kicks while you stand in front of him

It's a shame I thought Max had more class than this. He lost every round
he is a class act.he said himself that he needed to watch the fight.good fight from both but as a holloway fan i couldnt find a way to score it any different than the judges.he'll be a better fighte because of this fight rather he wins the rematch or not.i personally think he should take time and move up to 55 after a rematch.actually take time to move up.volk is a beast for sure though.he really surprised me with his fight iq and the leg kicks.great night of fights.

max didn't let his hands go like he usually does. His legs got chopped down and i loved how Volk was talking shit with Max during the fight. Rematch is fine with me or they can throw someone in there with Volk while Max rests up
That's the thing. If you disturb his combinations/rhythm then he cannot hit you with those 15 seconds 30 punch combos. Poirier constantly did that except in RD 3 when he was against the cage.

I'm a Max fan and scored it same as one judge did- 50-45. Max's pillow fists and lack of aggression didnt win him one round IMO. Volk hurt or stung him every round. Damage counts more to me and some judges than compubox. Anyone can see Max is not near as aggressive as in past and he must be to win with lack of other skills and power. Probably his doctor saying he's borderline CTE anyways.
The leg kicks man! They stifled his offense something serious. He couldnt keep marching him down and planting and relying on combinations because he was getting slammed everytime he planted. It was a perfect gameplan and insanely well executed. I'm still on the blessed Express however and think he can change it up and win a rematch. His bodywork was great and if he starts investing in the first could still win a rematch . He also only checked like 4 or 5 of the 78 kicks that I counted on my second watch

It's a shame I thought Max had more class than this. He lost every round
He hasn't watched the replay of the fight yet, he doesn’t know what the strike difference was per round this was just his immediate perception after the fight.

Back