Max Holloway Disputes Judges' Scores After Losing Title

How did you score the fight?

• Total voters
Right. So those are good points. But they that would not be the rematch playing out exactly the same, would it? That's the point you made I was taking issue with, not that Volk couldn't win a rematch. I think a rematch between these two would be unlikely to look much like the first fight.

Oh no sorry. I meant I thought it would be the exact same outcome. Not the exact same fight.

I didn't particularly enjoy the fight but I was thoroughly impressed with Volk. I had him winning 3-2 at worst. I don't think this is a particularly delusional mindset seeing as how he was not judging the fight, though his corner should have known he was down on the cards after round 3 and needed a finish in the last 2 to win most likely. It's a pet peeve of mine when corners tell their fighters they are winning when a fight is close. Like DC usually eludes to, I feel it better to assume your fighter is losing even if they are marginally winning. That's just me though.

I need to rewatch the fight on mute.

Rogan and DC were making such big deals about every leg kick being landed on Holloway they were the only strikes I was paying attention to.

I'm leaning on believing that two of the judges that has it 48-47 Volkanovski were probably more correct than fans listening to the commentary.

I don't recall Max doing much of anything other than 'feeling him out' for all five rounds and getting those chicken legs battered while switching stances

Watching live I thought Volk won each round, pretty easily to add.

Hate immediate rematches, why does a fighter have to beat someone twice in a row to be considered a 'real' champ? Makes no sense.

Volk beat him handily, too good at interrupting Max's combos, smashed the legs. Perfect fight!

Max was always fighting and wasn’t beaten so maybe he felt he did enough. I doubt many others did. He will be back but he needs to evolve a bit.

I scored every round for Volkanovski.

Maybe one one of those rounds was debatable - maybe.

When I saw Max raised his arms at the end of the fight, I was like wow, surely this dude doesn't think he won that.

He should watch the replay and then hopefully give credit to Volkanovski for such a fine performance. It is the right thing to do. Volk kicked his butt. Had it up 4 rounds to 1 at the end. Think Max landed 3 good shots the entire fight. The rest was just jabbing at air and looking like a turkey. Volkanovski was finding ways inside and landing combo's the entire fight. Along with leg kicks and all kinds of fancy stuff. I like Max but he was beaten at his own game by a fighter who did his homework. Being a sore loser now is not the right way to go about this loss. May as well retire with that attitude.

Prior to the fight I believe Max would maul him but boy was I wrong. Alex just had a nearly perfect performance. It was a thing of beauty.... those kicks slowed Max down a lot and he got his rhythm broken. Alex clearly won that fight.

Right. So those are good points. But they that would not be the rematch playing out exactly the same, would it? That's the point you made I was taking issue with, not that Volk couldn't win a rematch. I think a rematch between these two would be unlikely to look much like the first fight.

Im not sure why max hadn't already dedicated time to checking leg kicks seeing as it's been a problem throughout his entire career. I remember Stephens and lamas having a field day on his legs, Bermudes and fili were chopping them down too, Aldo in the rematch as well. Volk was just the most dedicated at exploiting a weakness that has been in Max's game forever.

Last edited:
I need to rewatch the fight on mute.

Rogan and DC were making such big deals about every leg kick being landed on Holloway they were the only strikes I was paying attention to.

I'm leaning on believing that two of the judges that has it 48-47 Volkanovski were probably more correct than fans listening to the commentary.

When I watched it live, DC and Rogan convinced me that rounds 2,4, and 5 could go to max. When I watched it on mute I only gave max round 5, barely.

A lot of it was just because you can't see much Impact at all from Max's strikes, but you could see visible reactions nearly each time volk landed

Last edited:
Not even remotely close to being close.

Its amazing to me how max could sincerely think theres even a chance he deserved to win that

I love Max, he was a great champion, but that result was not controversial at all. Volk just fought the better fight, if they had given it to Max out would have been a travesty of judging.
I keep seeing people say that leg kicks shouldn't count for anything, but what was max doing to counter them? Those leg kicks made it so max couldn't effectively implement his usual game, and that seems pretty successful to me.

Max is delusional. He got tooled by DP and clearly lost to AV. He's getting overconfident. He thinks he can coast for the first two or three rounds and then turn up the heat. It doesn't work like that at the highest level in 5 round fights. By the way, the decision was unanimous not only among the judges, but also among all MMA sites who scored the fight.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/10781/Alexander-Volkanovski-vs-Max-Holloway

It's a shame I thought Max had more class than this. He lost every round
Lmao because you have "class" you don't have to suck people's dick's when they do stupid shit like 50-45 you all have a twisted definition of what a fighter and a warrior like Max and Volk are

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back