Max Holloway Disputes Judges' Scores After Losing Title

How did you score the fight?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“First round, I was feeling him out,” Holloway said after the event. “Second round I thought I was taking over. And then three, four, five, I thought [were] mine.

. . .

“They (the judges) saw it another way. There’s only three opinions that matter. Like the great Burt Watson said, 'Don’t leave that (expletive) to the judges.' . . . So let’s [fast] forward to 2020, new year, new me.

. . .

“I think he deserves it [a rematch],” Volkanovski said. “Do I have to beat him to prove I’m a better fighter? I think we had five rounds to do, and I’m pretty sure I won it pretty clearly. But, anyways, people are still going to doubt. . . But I’ll be ready for it, and he does deserve it.

. . .

“I’m gonna sit down with my team,” Holloway said. “Watch the tape. Sit down with Dana. . . . I’m a fighter . . . I fight. But it’s a team decision with me. It’s not a me thing. I’m not all about myself. My team got me here. I’m going to sit down with my team, talk to Dana, and we’ll go from there.

. . .

“We’ll be back. I’m only 28. . . . I’ll be back and we’ll be ready.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trentreinsmith/2019/12/15/max-holloway-ufc-245-judges-made-him-cry-alexander-volkanovski/

Last edited:
Max is delusional.

Volk easily beats him in the rematch

It was his impression immediately after the fight. He said that he needs to watch the tape to have a better idea. Give him some time to watch and digest what happened.

I thought it was a pretty clear edge to Volkanovski. It was competitive throughout but Max hardly did anything the first few rounds.

Think I had it 4-1 Volko only giving Max the 4th. But the 5th was close too. To be honest I wasn’t sober.

I had it 4-0 Volk going into the 5th. Max may have edged round 5 but that's it, if that.

max didn't let his hands go like he usually does. His legs got chopped down and i loved how Volk was talking shit with Max during the fight. Rematch is fine with me or they can throw someone in there with Volk while Max rests up

I had it 4 -1 Volk . But I got confused with DC saying it was close and could go either way.

I was like oh shit am I that biased ? Which quickly became oh is dc that biased?

Shrug. He won a judge in 3 different rounds.

But he’s the only one who thinks he was up. And after he watches he’ll likely change his mind.

Last round was his because Volk took it off.

Max don’t be bitter homie, can’t win em all

It's a shame I thought Max had more class than this. He lost every round

Max is delusional.

Yes.. he may be far off on thinking he won. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t come back better and lay a whoopin on Volk.

I'm a Max fan and scored it same as one judge did- 50-45. Max's pillow fists and lack of aggression didnt win him one round IMO. Volk hurt or stung him every round. Damage counts more to me and some judges than compubox. Anyone can see Max is not near as aggressive as in past and he must be to win with lack of other skills and power. Probably his doctor saying he's borderline CTE anyways.

It was an emphatic victory, look at the significant strike stats per round.
I hope Max will revise his opinion when he watches the replay. It wasn't really even that close.

Max really only has himself to be blamed.

Seems like he believed volk was ready for war when really he just planned on leg kicking the shit outta him

Max is delusional.

I agree. Max is like Nate Diaz with better takedown defense.

But both fighters will get destroyed by leg kicks. That's because the power of their pitter-patter striking attack is on the heavy, forward lead leg.

“My team will decide for me, I gotta see what my team thinks, it’s a team decision.”

How interesting. Thanks for all the insight.

<{cruzshake}>

Nothing close about this fight. Was quite one sided if you ask me.

You could easily argue that Volk won every round you can't do the same for Max and I'm a huge Max fan.

Back