Matt Mitrione looking to test free agency after final fight on contract

I think Mitrione is fun to watch. I also think he's good for the UFC HW division, sucks that he's not going to re-sign

I think Mitrione is fun to watch. I also think he's good for the UFC HW division, sucks that he's not going to re-sign

Yes and he has tons of potential still. I can see him giving a solid 3-4 years.

Makes green mistakes but he is new in the sport relative to Rothwell.

The UFC will soon be one of those teams that a lot of players don't wanna play for unless they straighten their shit out. Outside of a few fighters (Honda, Shogun, Lawler, Bones), I won't pay a dime for the content the "Ufc" provides. Fuck the Ufc model, it's the fighters who provide the content and Ufc obviously doesn't see it that way.

Who only fights once unless they are injured? If he makes 35k/35k per fight he made 210k in 2014. Not great for an athlete but far from being poor. Everyone in the states pays taxes, I have no idea why that is a huge argument on their pay. 2013 would have been 105 going off those numbers and that doesn't include any bonuses.

Was he reported to be injured at all in 2015? As far as I know, he wasn't, so why is it he's only fought once this year, and can't get a booking through December? A fighter can't guarantee that they will be able to fight 3x times a year due to either injury, which is common, or fights that just aren't available at the time. ~$35k is the only guaranteed money he gets for fighting, the win bonus is just a bonus, which gets taxed way more heavily than his show money. $105K a year isn't a whole lot, when you consider that fight camps aren't free, trainers got to get paid, and managers have to get their percentage too. Fighters are self-employed and file tax form 1099, which means they pay more in taxes on their earnings than people who are employees (tax form w2) of a company. The video below has a youtuber explain how self-employed people are taxed.

https://youtu.be/jO56WtEv4eE

The career of a fighter is short, difficult, and unforgiving health wise, are you really okay with top fighters being compensated this low? Mitrione is top 13 according to the rankings, which means his pay scale is just disgusting, hell even #2 welterweight Rory Macdonald, who makes double what Mitrione makes to show made crap pay for the beating he took in his last fight. I don't know about you, but this situation is disturbing.

he could be heavyweight champ in bellator

Nope
00-Vitaly-Minakov.jpg
would get slaughtered

You really think a guy who calls himself "Meathead" was smart enough to include that in his contract?

He would mot have to. It's a cornerstone of labor law. You have to be given an opportunity to earn a living.

Fighters are self-employed and file tax form 1099, which means they pay more in taxes on their earnings than people who are employees (tax form w2) of a company.

As a former IC, you also have a lot more to write-off as well
Being an IC can be better for you (if smart)

Would be stupid to let someone like him go. He's charismatic, fun to watch and is always a gamer.

Step the fuck up UFC.

Matt Mitrione Vs Brandon Vera in ONE FC would be fun especially with the ruleset there.

Still a big Vera fan but I think Mitrione will be too big for him. Mitrione never goes for the take down except that one time though so you never know.

He should fight Schaub which would the last UFC fight for both. No matter who wins, everybody loses.

Would be stupid to let someone like him go. He's charismatic, fun to watch and is always a gamer.

Step the fuck up UFC.

Its good for the sport that he's testing free agency. You always got to be willing to go elsewhere. That's how Melendez got the best contract at lightweight. 200k win or lose with ppv points, by not accepting the UFC's offer.

Mitrione's coming off a loss. If he wins his next fight impressively against a decent opponent it bumps up his value. And the UFC will most likely match to prevent Bellator from scooping him up.

Of course if he loses he has little leverage.

Back