Matt Mitrione looking to test free agency after final fight on contract

If he could go out on a win, then not bad. 10-4 and all UFC fights. Not the best caliber of opponents but still.

I think they'll let him go without a fight.

He's in his late 30's, has clearly peaked and while his fights are always exciting win or lose, he isn't a big enough name for them to worry about IMO.

He'd do very in Bellator at first, but anyone with wrestling will give him trouble. Lashley, Kongo, Johnson Jr.

I would like to see him in Bellator or any place.

He is fun to watch.

UFC Shills will eat this news up. Just admit that UFC under the reebok deal can't keep everybody in. Shelving fighters you can't keep will just keep other fighters hesitant to sign. Fighters need to be smart when signing contracts from now on.

He would be a good fit in Bellator.

Good for Matt. The UFC is shooting it's self in the foot. Coker is gonna make Bellator great like Strikeforce was in a couple years. Hell when Strikeforce had the HW grand prix I'll say they were better than the UFC at that time. Probably why the UFC bought them. Reebok is gross. I hope we see a lot more guys jumping ship. Getting screwed out of money is not cool or right. Who fucking cares about the uniforms? They're ugly and don't make the UFC more legit at all. That's mouth breathing shit.

Lol u can't feed a family on 107,000 without any bonuses or sponsors?

Lol mma fans are hilarious drama queens.

An you Sir, have no ideas how income of sport athletes regarding taxes and agents are counted obviously.

:)

I don't believe any fighter has left the UFC, or been cut, and made more in Bellator or WSOF. Fitch, Shields, and the like are making less than half their non-headlining salary, i'm sure if they had the choice they'd be back in the UFC with their old contracts.

The difference is that Matt Mitrione is well known among hardcore fans and known for being a KO artist (His last 6 wins were all (T)KOs). Sure he has some losses, but he does have name value that was built up from his fighting style, being featured on the highest rated season of TUF, and being famous for knocking Kimbo Slice out. Bellator is desperate fighters who are entertaining to watch and have notoriety, and Mitrione would easily fit that type. Fitch and Shields, while being known, are considered to boring by the masses, which means they won't command as much drawing power despite being their resumes', though in fairness to them, they'll probably make more from sponsors due to less restrictions. It would be in Bellator's best interest to open up the wallet a little for him, because if he gets signed to a decent deal he couldn't get in the UFC, they can then influence their training partners in similar positions who are on the fence about testing free agency themselves. Phil Davis was in the same situation, and he got scooped up fairly quickly after leaving the UFC.

Matt last fought on June 2015.... you guys made it sound like he last fought 2 years ago.

Well at Mitrione's pay level, he'd need to fight as often as possible. He's only fought once in 2015, and since he's coming off a loss, he's only earned ~$35K from fighting this year. If the guy can't get a second fight before the end of this year, then he's effectively been given a dramatic pay cut from 2014.

Back