Matt Mitrione looking to test free agency after final fight on contract

I don't like Matt but good for him. Hopefully he can get that fight soon and carry on with his career.

These fighters need to stand together instead of just individually stepping out. Make a statement. I fully support him.

Not sure he has a ton of leverage. He's a 37 year old who has never been able to get over the hump. He's fun to watch but by no means a draw. And it just so happens that Heavyweight may be hotter than ever.

Would rather he stay as Bellator's heavyweight division is atrocious. Would be sad to see a good talent stuck there but I'm sure they'd pay well to get him.

He's gonna get the Wandy treatment...except he isn't all that popular, is he?

what treatment? meathead didnt run froma drug test and gethimself a lifetime ban,they cant freeze his contract like they did wands.

They have to offer him a set fight in a set time or pay him his show money anyways

Matt is doing the right thing by testing the free agency and raising his pay rise potentially if he goes elsewhere or the UFC up his pay. With the reebok deal creating a large pay-cut to majority of fighters it's best the UFC focus on upping base pay to make up for lost sponsors should be the way to go from now on.

I would bet Mitrione tried to negotiate having the UFC pay bump his pay to compensate for losses he would take in sponsorship and got denied. Going by his fight against Gonzanga, he's probably makes $35K to show, which is dreadfully low. You can't feed a family off of that when you can barley fight once a year. He probably only saw half that money after you factor taxes, and management/trainer fees.

http://themmacorner.com/2015/08/26/matt-mitrione-looking-to-test-free-agency-market/

Looks like Meathead and the UFC couldn't come to an agreement on the financials of a new contract, so he's trying to finish out the last fight on his contract ASAP and move on. No wonder he's been begging for a fight so much on twitter. I guess that Reebok money isn't cutting it for him.
37 years old and not in the top 10. Not a huge loss. He certainly doesn't move the needle for pay per views, he isn't going to make the top 3 of a decent card. He is big, strong, hits hard, and is slow with a limited game. I don't see him making big money anywhere.

I would bet Mitrione tried to negotiate having the UFC pay bump his pay to compensate for losses he would take in sponsorship and got denied. Going by his fight against Gonzanga, he's probably makes $35K to show, which is dreadfully low. You can't feed a family off of that when you can barley fight once a year. He probably only saw half that money after you factor taxes, and management/trainer fees.

Who only fights once unless they are injured? If he makes 35k/35k per fight he made 210k in 2014. Not great for an athlete but far from being poor. Everyone in the states pays taxes, I have no idea why that is a huge argument on their pay. 2013 would have been 105 going off those numbers and that doesn't include any bonuses.

Not a surprise. If you aren't champion you can at least make money. But in the UFC case you can't make money with the Reebok deal. Most middle division fighters are better off fighting in other organizations and making a better living.

Mitrione makes 36/36. I really doubt he'd make that in bellator

Lol u can't feed a family on 107,000 without any bonuses or sponsors?

Lol mma fans are hilarious drama queens.

There was a time where it was a no brainer. You want to be in the ufc no matter what. Now the idea of fighting outside the ufc isn't such a bad thing.

Gradually seems like more fighters are either retiring or moving on from the UFC.

Will the UFC come to regret their deal with Reebok in 10 years time?

Bellator/WSOF will be getting a new influx of good talent down the line I think.

Last edited:
Gradually seems like more fighters are either retiring or moving on from the UFC.

Will the UFC come to regret their deal with Reebok in 10 years time?

Frankie Perez, Jordan Mein, Mitrione. Who else?

I've been a critic of the Reebok deal, and if it is as bad as some fighters have claimed, then yes we will likely see an exodus to Bellator, retirement, or wherever over the next few years. I think it's a wee bit to see a pattern yet though.

Frankie Perez, Jordan Mein, Mitrione. Who else?

I've been a critic of the Reebok deal, and if it is as bad as some fighters have claimed, then yes we will likely see an exodus to Bellator, retirement, or wherever over the next few years. I think it's a wee bit to see a pattern yet though.

True.

Maybe I'm over-reacting.

When Mein retired I was shocked. But I understood. Now that Mitrione, another guy who doesn't have that many fights with them is considering free agency... But you're right, too early to see any kind of pattern.

Back