Matt Mitrione looking to test free agency after final fight on contract

He'll never get another fight now that they know his intentions

wow...probably not smart to announce that. good way to start burning your bridges, I suppose.

him and CM Punk will probably be the last guys to start their careers in the UFC.

He'll never get another fight now that they know his intentions

They can't not offer him a fight, eventually within a certain period of time, as long as he's not suspended, they'll have to offer him one.

They can't not offer him a fight, eventually within a certain period of time, as long as he's not suspended, they'll have to offer him one.

You really think a guy who calls himself "Meathead" was smart enough to include that in his contract?

They'll give him a fight they don't think he'll win. Or they'll throw him on the under card. One of the two.

Matt Mitrione Vs Brandon Vera in ONE FC would be fun especially with the ruleset there.

I expect more of this in the next couple of years... it wont happen all at once, but once fighters fight out their contracts, they will test the waters...

Even if the ufc keeps their man, they will have to cough up more dough... im truly glad bellator is stablizing under coker.. they are doing more shows next year, so that shows growth and commitment in the org.... im truly hoping that bellator can become a very game 2nd place org.... an org that keeps the ufc frrom straying too far... the opposite is true as well... competition keeps orgs in check...

Come on coker! Make these signing!

Not a surprise. If you aren't champion you can at least make money. But in the UFC case you can't make money with the Reebok deal. Most middle division fighters are better off fighting in other organizations and making a better living.

He's gonna get the Wandy treatment...except he isn't all that popular, is he?

You really think a guy who calls himself "Meathead" was smart enough to include that in his contract?

That's standard in every modern UFC contract. The UFC can't just not offer fights to someone for a year with no valid reason like suspension, or violating the code of conduct.

They'll give him a fight they don't think he'll win. Or they'll throw him on the under card. One of the two.

It wouldn't matter whether he wins or loses on a main card or under card, it would fulfill the last fight on his contract. Koscheck got signed by Bellator pretty quickly coming off of a five fight losing streak, I'm sure Mitrione wouldn't have problems getting signed to a decent contract there to, especially since he has name value as a heavyweight.

“They didn’t seem interested in re-signing me and basically said if I didn’t like the initial offer, test the free agent market. As a result, I’m prepared to test the market.”

I don't blame him at all. If my employer told me if after working there for my entire 6 year career, while putting up positive numbers, that if I didn't like their offer then I could walk, I'd fucking walk. Really shitty business by the brass, here.

I've always been a Mitrione fan, and hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Also, maybe I'm a little biased. Meathead has won me some cash in the past.

Kinda surprised the UFC would let a HW go, considering how weak the division is. But I guess the fighters are demanding more money to make up for sponsorship losses and the UFC is refusing to play ball. Hope that $70 million over 6 years is worth it, Zuffa.

He could very well stay with the UFC but no harm in seeing what your worth is. He will fight within the year of his last fight.

Makes sense, he could make more money and actually be a contender in Bellator

I couldn't imagine Mitrione would be making a good base pay, I think the guy still has potential, I'd like to see him in Bellator. it's a shame they aren't offering him a decent contract because he's brought us entertaining fights and with his speed and power he is a half decent threat to anyone standing...he has proven to be a pretty good gatekeeper.

I think if he moved to Bellator, he could get more exposure and possibly contend for the title.

Back