Matt Mitrione looking to test free agency after final fight on contract

Its good for the sport that he's testing free agency. You always got to be willing to go elsewhere. That's how Melendez got the best contract at lightweight. 200k win or loss with ppv points, by not accepting the UFC's offer.

Mitrione's coming off a loss. If he wins his next fight impressively against a decent opponent it bumps up his value. And the UFC will most likely match to prevent Bellator from scooping him up.

Of course if he loses he has little leverage.

True enough. I think my point of contention is that the HW division is historically weak, and fighters like MM bring some life to that roster. Add to that the fact that he's vocal, active on social media and just generally a good shit and it's a shame that the UFC can't pony up some dollars to keep him around.

In the end, just want the best for the fighter. If it's more lucrative to go elsewhere then kudos.

Rematch with Kimbo in Bellator?

that wouldn't be too bad...I'd watch it. I'd rather he stay in UFC's already thin HW division though.

Nope
00-Vitaly-Minakov.jpg
would get slaughtered

Minakov's next fight is in Russia under the Fight Night banner. Bellator will probably need to strip his belt at some point as he's mentioned UFC aspirations.

Damn. This sucks.

Fan of Meat Head, and UFC needs HW's.

wow...probably not smart to announce that. good way to start burning your bridges, I suppose.

him and CM Punk will probably be the last guys to start their careers in the UFC.

No not at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they fuck with him now and leave him in limbo. I've seen it happen.

True enough. I think my point of contention is that the HW division is historically weak, and fighters like MM bring some life to that roster. Add to that the fact that he's vocal, active on social media and just generally a good shit and it's a shame that the UFC can't pony up some dollars to keep him around.

In the end, just want the best for the fighter. If it's more lucrative to go elsewhere then kudos.

Well, they're a business after all. They made him an offer and he wanted more, so now he gets a chance to show he is worth more.

They can't not offer him a fight, eventually within a certain period of time, as long as he's not suspended, they'll have to offer him one.

I don't think you understand what the person is even saying, UFC can delay to offer Matt a fight until end of his contract ends like they did to The Pitbull

I expect more of this in the next couple of years... it wont happen all at once, but once fighters fight out their contracts, they will test the waters...

Even if the ufc keeps their man, they will have to cough up more dough... im truly glad bellator is stablizing under coker.. they are doing more shows next year, so that shows growth and commitment in the org.... im truly hoping that bellator can become a very game 2nd place org.... an org that keeps the ufc frrom straying too far... the opposite is true as well... competition keeps orgs in check...

Come on coker! Make these signing!

exactly this. well put.

You really think a guy who calls himself "Meathead" was smart enough to include that in his contract?

You can't be serious? I hope for your sake its just a terrible joke.

Mittrione vs Justin Wren for the Bellator Heavyweight Championship in 2016.... fosho.

I like these new attempts by fighters to act like they have the upper hand, or any hand in negotiations, like what Josh pulled going to Bellator.

Matt made $36,000 his last fight in the UFC and lost. (a win would have netted him $72,000) He's got a decent record with some decent wins, but he's not a top tier fighter. Someone comparable to him in win % in the UFC, but with a longer career, was Cheick Kongo. In Kongo's last UFC fight he made $70,000 to show. Kongo then claims he left the UFC for Bellator

Why is everyone blaming the UFC? He can go get overpaid by bellator. With all the Schaub hate you think people would realize this guy has a low ceiling. Whatever is anti-UFC I suppose.

I like these new attempts by fighters to act like they have the upper hand, or any hand in negotiations, like what Josh pulled going to Bellator.

Matt made $36,000 his last fight in the UFC and lost. (a win would have netted him $72,000) He's got a decent record with some decent wins, but he's not a top tier fighter. Someone comparable to him in win % in the UFC, but with a longer career, was Cheick Kongo. In Kongo's last UFC fight he made $70,000 to show. Kongo then claims he left the UFC for Bellator

Mitrione has 13 fights and he's earning 33+33. And he's got $10k extra from Reebok deal.
I can see why he wants to go to another org.

Matt last fought on June 2015.... you guys made it sound like he last fought 2 years ago.

He has been in UFC since he went pro, don't know if he even fought as an amateur before TUF, but with his age in mind I could see why he would want to try something new, if not for the money then maybe just out of curiousity.

Back