Matt Hughes back in the gym after his accident.

I still don't understand what was the medical reason for him to be in such critical condition.

What were his actual injuries?

wtf?

UFC icon Matt Hughes has pulled out of his coma after his pickup truck collided with a moving train last month, according to an interview that close friend and fellow UFC Hall of Famer Pat Miletich gave The MMA Hour today.

Hughes was driving near his home in Illinois on the morning of June 16 when he tried to cross a set of railroad tracks directly in front of a moving train, which hit the passenger side of his truck. He was airlifted to a hospital with head trauma, and updates on his condition have been scarce.

Miletich gave some encouraging information about Hughes’ well-being. “He is surprising the doctors,” he said in the interview, as transcribed by MMAFighting.com. “He’s making great leaps and he’s no longer in a coma, and he’s improving. It’s going to be a long road. Any type of head trauma at that level, there’s going to be some rehab.”

https://deadspin.com/ufc-hall-of-famer-matt-hughes-pulls-out-of-coma-after-c-1797216806

From what I understood, he didn't suffer any actual injuries....you think it's psychological?

The train is currently suffering from PTSD & experiencing sexual difficulties.

Did you see how he walked into the arena when they introduced him back?

You don't get hit by a train and not sustain injuries.

It was more what he looked like than how he walked. As a long time Hughes fan, his appearance was shocking.

Are you kidding me?

He looks really atrophied and weak there. His facial expressions are also....somehow off to me. Brain injury? I'm glad he is doing better but he will likely never be the Hughes of before the accident.

'm not sure, I'm no doctor, but I think he had CTE and it made him act reckless or suicidal and drive in front of a train.
If you look at the location where it happened, it's in the middle of an open field.

This never even crossed my mind as a possibility. Is this what you think happened?

Yea, here is the thing, and I speak from experience on this. Those tracks have no light or bell or bars that drop down. Its also in the country where there are no street lights, meaning at night time its dark as hell. Then you combine that with crops like corn growing on either side of the road which can block your vision and its EASY to see how this could happen. I used to visit my grandmother in an area like this and there was an unmarked train track that was after a blind corner and people were hit by the train at that location multiple times. In rural areas this is a common thing.

2a849940-3b72-4b78-ad71-73de35373689-large16x9_HUGHESPIC.jpg

Yea, here is the thing, and I speak from experience on this. Those tracks have no light or bell or bars that drop down. Its also in the country where there are no street lights, meaning at night time its dark as hell. Then you combine that with crops like corn growing on either side of the road which can block your vision and its EASY to see how this could happen. I used to visit my grandmother in an area like this and there was an unmarked train track that was after a blind corner and people were hit by the train at that location multiple times. In rural areas this is a common thing.

2a849940-3b72-4b78-ad71-73de35373689-large16x9_HUGHESPIC.jpg
IIRC, that picture is from the time of the accident, but yea, there's a lot that can go wrong that you wouldn't think of if you're not used to country roads and uncontrolled railway crossings.

Didn't some guy say he pounded his brother Todd or something like that, Marcus or Mike in the back of a barn?

Its always kinda weird to me that there is 2 Matt Hughes'. I would suspect his twin brother wasn't taking any shit from him and it may be part of the reason why Matt was so tough.

th
th

IIRC, that picture is from the time of the accident, but yea, there's a lot that can go wrong that you wouldn't think of if you're not used to country roads and uncontrolled railway crossings.

Yea, my point being that its more common to get struck by trains in rural areas than people realize. Many times they have no safety features at all, not even a light or a bell. If you are distracted by the radio, talking to a friend, and there are crops growing on the sides of the road it can become very hazardous.

No, both he and Chuck got fired when WME took over. Which is probably why Chuck is fighting Tito.
Yeah, i remember that. If you look at his Instagram he's talking about going to the opening of a UFC Gym and is promoting the UFC as if he works there again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back