Martial artist out there that could kill most UFC fighters if they had interest...

I think there has to be at least one person man or women that could randomly jump in and compete against a fighter ranked 15-30.

Especially maybe at HW. I mean Ngannou is a testament that some people just have it. Not hating on Ngannou at all but he still just often wings punches even after now years of training. And it works his ability to connect and his power when he does is amazing. I’m sure he has a snappy jab he has honed in the gym. But I’m really thinking of the Cain fight and nothing about that was textbook or would be a great strategy for most MMA fighters.

Small joint manipulation is illegal in the UFC. I wonder if it was legal would some hapkido guy just be breaking people’s fingers every fight. Hapkido is the one martial art that people really impresses me. But at the same time they always have to be like alright throw a telegraphed punch at me here...

I have seen it being super effective many years ago when I was part-time security/bouncer. This average sized Hapkido guy made throwing out drunk people look like an art form.
Hapkido is very effective. Whittaker is a testament to that. The gloves make small joint manipulation almost impossible anyway. Gloves make fighting very different compared to no gloves. You can grip better without gloves and you actually need to have conditioned hands and know what soft parts of the body/face to punch in order to be effective in striking bare knuckle.

722f757af47e35765835a6d91d65e59c.jpg

IIRC Gray Maynard got beat up in a bar by a nobody who he had the audacity to say "hit me first" and the guy basically scrambled his brain with the first punch.
I haven't heard about that but street fights are very different than sport fighting. I would never ask to get hit first bare knuckle. It doesn't take much with no gloves on with a clean hit. No padding and you will feel bone hit you, hurts and stings way more than strikes with gloves.

As a person now 30. There used to be lots of strangely respectable street fights. I mean sure use your environment to your advantage but usually people would not grab a weapon. But it was college and you actually didn’t get much cred as a college aged male if you were pulling knives or smashing beer bottles on people’s heads.

That stuff happened sure. But I saw some scraps where people would even drop someone standing and then show restraint. Wrestling was always a bad idea at that time because it would leave you open to getting stomped out by people who may not have engaged in the one on one but saw an opportunity to get in a quick kick to someone’s face to help their friend....

Probably depends on where you grow up and where the fights occur, although frat boys can be crazy I wouldn't compare them to criminals.
Growing up in an Area that has one of biggest open drug scenes in europe and a lot of organized criminality most of the time people would pull weapons in a street fight.

The one street fight I had didn't involve any weapons but some drugged out mid 20s guy and my 16 year old self, he tried to jump be from behind leaping off a bench I caught him with a right and soccer kicked him afterwards. But the guy was pretty harmless compared to other people walking around, I always carry some pepper spray with me nowadays.

There's a lot of people out there that know how to "fight" but not everyone that knows how to "fight" competes in sports. There is also a difference in sport fighting and "fighting". Sport fighters are better trained for sport fighting because that's what they train and they tailor their training/strategy/tactics for that. They will have the advantage in that spectrum. But that doesn't mean there aren't people out there that can give them a good fight or even win in a non sport setting.

There are a lot of special forces and military people out there that can fight and they don't compete in sports. Lots of thugs also know how to fight, lots of pro fighters got their start in a similar way from street fighting like Kimbo, Masvidal, Diaz bros etc. There have been fights in the past where pro fighters lose street fights. Like Don Frye losing to a bodyguard in a street fight in a hotel lobby. Tito getting KO by Lee Murray. Dillon Danis getting superman punched in a night club. Jason Knight brawling in a bathroom stall etc.

Street fights are different than sport fights, they're quick and the ones with finishing ability would do better in those situations. So point fighters, slow starters, and fighters that don't deal well with pressure fighters wouldn't do well in a street setting.
This is true sometimes in a street fight you don’t have any space to work with. And the first person to land something substantial usually wins. On the flip side I’ve seen people in “street” fights that take place say at a party outside. Just calmly use distance and then counter with great success.

That era of drunken bar fights is probably over. I’ve seen a cop show up and ask who started the fight. Listen to the crowd and then let the guy who got snuck/hit with a cheap shot off with nothing even if the other guy is clearly still concussed.

Hapkido is very effective. Whittaker is a testament to that. The gloves make small joint manipulation almost impossible anyway. Gloves make fighting very different compared to no gloves. You can grip better without gloves and you actually need to have conditioned hands and know what soft parts of the body/face to punch in order to be effective in striking bare knuckle.
Also I’m sure all the BJJ fighters would love if their opponent was fighting them wearing a suit with a tie on.

Also I’m sure all the BJJ fighters would love if their opponent was fighting them wearing a suit with a tie on.
BJJ works but in a street fight you don't really want to be on the floor because of concrete. Just like wrestling you wouldn't shoot in for takedowns with your knees hitting the concrete. You would do everything from standing position instead. Gi work helps for grips on clothing and grip strength. You can grab sleeves, collars, hoods, pants, etc instead of the gi and a lot of it could transfer over technique wise with some adjustments.

BJJ works but in a street fight you don't really want to be on the floor because of concrete. Just like wrestling you wouldn't shoot in for takedowns with your knees hitting the concrete. You would do everything from standing position instead. Gi work helps for grips on clothing and grip strength. You can grab sleeves, collars, hoods, pants, etc instead of the gi and a lot of it could transfer over technique wise with some adjustments.
I agree never want to be on the ground in a street fight. Also I’m much older now so street fighting is something I steer clear from.

Last edited:
{<jordan}Old man Eastwood put in some work in Gran Torino. Well this thread has been amusing. What did we learn “street” fights are very different based on where you live. And everyone agrees it’s vital to stay off the ground in a “street” fight for various logical reasons.

Last edited:
I have seen it being super effective many years ago when I was part-time security/bouncer. This average sized Hapkido guy made throwing out drunk people look like an art form.
You kind of alluded to the flaw in some TMAs right there. Aikido, kung-fu, hapkido, they work on drunk fools. If you're good enough some techniques work on people with training. But against killers who also have training? Not really. Boxing/kickboxing, muay-thai, BJJ, and wresting -- these are the four pillars of MMA, as most of their techniques work on drunk fools and trained killers alike. TMAs are useful no doubt, and when you supplement them in with the more practical martial arts they can be fun surprise. Some of my fondest memories sparring are times I did something unorthodox and it worked. But that's just because I don't remember the 1000 times that leg kick worked, because that shit is automatic.

Love me a good kung-fu movie, though.

You kind of alluded to the flaw in some TMAs right there. Aikido, kung-fu, hapkido, they work on drunk fools. If you're good enough some techniques work on people with training. But against killers who also have training? Not really. Boxing/kickboxing, muay-thai, BJJ, and wresting -- these are the four pillars of MMA, as most of their techniques work on drunk fools and trained killers alike. TMAs are useful no doubt, and when you supplement them in with the more practical martial arts they can be fun surprise. Some of my fondest memories sparring are times I did something unorthodox and it worked. But that's just because I don't remember the 1000 times that leg kick worked, because that shit is automatic.

Love me a good kung-fu movie, though.
They can be a fun surprise. Exactly. And yeah I agree with the rest of your post.

Most top boxers under 30 would run through their respective division up until the top 10 or so if they actually properly prepared for the grappling over a few years.

No they wouldn't

Back