Mark Rippetoe Article on "Abs"

It's the word 'sufficient' that gives the sentance its meaning IMO.

Sufficient for a lifter who doesn't perform twisting motions as part of their sport is different to sufficient for someone who relies on trunk rotation, which is what you last sentance is pointing at.

You could also argue specificity. If you want to get better/stronger at something that involves trunk rotation the best way is probably to do movements that include trunk rotation.

Perhaps you should be more moderate in your moderation. What's the big deal? The thread seems to be doing just fine.

If you just block quote something with no context, how are we supposed to know what to discuss? Are we just supposed to guess?

Apparently, the TS is ok with asking questions about the quote in the pub, but not on the main forum.

How are you supposed to know what to discuss?

I'm not your boss, discuss whatever you want. Preferably the article that I linked so as to stay on topic.

If you aren't interested in the article or the subject don't post. If you have some thoughts or agree or disagree then post. Whats the problem?

Just because I made the thread doesn't mean I set what we discuss. I just meant to make a discussion area for the article.

I'm not your boss, discuss whatever you want. Preferably the article that I linked so as to stay on topic.

If you aren't interested in the article or the subject don't post. If you have some thoughts or agree or disagree then post. Whats the problem?

Just because I made the thread doesn't mean I set what we discuss. I just meant to make a discussion area for the article.

Discuss.

I think the thread is fine. But the point is if you're going to try and start a discussion on a topic, it's best to share your own thoughts on the matter first.

^^ See how a random quote is kind of worthless? At the very least you could share your opinion on the article. Maybe have an original sentence or two...

What is your problem? I said your thread made no sense without any context. I honestly wanted to know why you posted the quote. I had no idea if it was something you agreed with or disagreed with or whether it was something important for your training. But instead of explaining why you put or the thread or ask a question, your responses to me are nothing but unhelpful and passive aggressive. If that is how you want to be, whatever, but as I said, I cannot read your mind.

I think the thread is fine. But the point is if you're going to try and start a discussion on a topic, it's best to share your own thoughts on the matter first.

+1. I think enright is coming across as a little hostile but he's basically saying the same thing.

What is your problem? I said your thread made no sense without any context. I honestly wanted to know why you posted the quote. I had no idea if it was something you agreed with or disagreed with or whether it was something important for your training. But instead of explaining why you put or the thread or ask a question, your responses to me are nothing but unhelpful and passive aggressive. If that is how you want to be, whatever, but as I said, I cannot read your mind.

You do realize the irony in criticizing zere0wn and calling him passive-aggressive and then saying "whatever" right?

+1. I think enright is coming across as a little hostile but he's basically saying the same thing.

You do realize the irony in criticizing zere0wn and calling him passive-aggressive and then saying "whatever" right?

I'm not being passive aggressive. Read my sig.

I like the new S&C. Everyone is a fucking emo.

RIP S&P

How about a vent thread where everyone with the above original thought that wants to whine and complain about how things used to be better can chime in. I'd say make it a sticky but it'll probably never leave the first page.

^^ See how a random quote is kind of worthless? At the very least you could share your opinion on the article. Maybe have an original sentence or two...

Whats the purpose of me sharing my opinion when I don't really know what I'm talking about in the first place? Don't you think its assuming for someone with little experience and knowledge to share their opinion? Someone who doesn't know any better might take it for being something that's actually correct. I didn't share my opinion because it's pointless.

"Read and Discuss" was clearly implied by even starting the thread.

Interesting because the majority of people from what I can tell consider supplementing with ab work very important.

Before this forum turned gay, nobody did ab work.

It is the obliques, you are correct.

I can't think of a normal lift that utilises the obliques, whereas all compound lifts utilise the abs and lower back.

I find quite a bit of oblique "usage" while deadlifting.

Whats the purpose of me sharing my opinion when I don't really know what I'm talking about in the first place? Don't you think its assuming for someone with little experience and knowledge to share their opinion? Someone who doesn't know any better might take it for being something that's actually correct. I didn't share my opinion because it's pointless.

"Read and Discuss" was clearly implied by even starting the thread.

Your opinion is not pointless. If you have time under the bar and have done direct ab work, you should have something to say. If you have done direct ab work and you think it helped, then you should be able to at least share your experiences. Or maybe you used to, but then just started doing beltless squatting and you found you got better at weighed sit ups without actually training them. Either way, your experiences matter on a forum about getting strong and better conditioned for sport or just because you want to.

I also think it's unfortunate that you would feel you don't have anything of substance to say here. You should realize that web forums about lifting have some serious limitations. People are going to give different and probably conflicting opinions on this or any similar issue. Plus, there are a lot of people with a lot of ideas, but who have little practical experience under a barbell. There will also be people with lots of time under the bar, but you would not want to take a lot of their advice for various reasons, such as they made all their strength gains while using PEDs, but you don't. Plus, it's hard to generalize one person's experience that you talk to on the a forum to your own. So basically, you should be skeptical about taking anyone's advice as gospel, and anyone who has spent time busting ass at the gym should have something important to say.

But, anyway, my original point was that I would have liked to hear what you had to say about your own ab work or lack of and how it fits within your training and goals. But, that quote alone does not help me know how to answer a question that would be of practical help to your training and goals.

*walks in with sack full of hair and a box of razor blades*

Anyone wanna help me split all these?

Interesting, I've never really noticed this.

[Deadlifts more than Josh] :icon_twis

haha..

yeh man I strained my oblique pretty bad while deadlifting like 6 weeks ago. I couldn't pull for like 10 days afterward :p

when you flex to stabilize your core for squatting or deadlifting you can just look at your obliques or have someone touch them and see they are contracting.

edit: Btw I think you need to get some overhead work in sometime, since it seems there is finally a lift you aren't beating me in.

Can you increase the concentric force created by the "abs" from working them isometrically and if so, by how much?

Let me check my phd research in this field.

Who cares, anyway. You need them, you work them. This is forum for fighters(?), so you better have strong abs when you get push kick in lower abdominal. Don't wanna flame, but those big guys dl and squating big loads have some big bellys and despite looks are less functional for fighting, and weight distribution is simply big no no.

Who cares, anyway. You need them, you work them. This is forum for fighters(?), so you better have strong abs when you get push kick in lower abdominal. Don't wanna flame, but those big guys dl and squating big loads have some big bellys and despite looks are less functional for fighting, and weight distribution is simply big no no.

I heard a rumor that not all powerlifters are heavy weights. Probably bullshit, but you might wanna check it out.

Roy nelson clearly has a fat gut (fatter than most powerlifters) and won the ultimate fighter

Back