Mark Rippetoe Article on "Abs"

Let me check my phd research in this field.

Who cares, anyway. You need them, you work them. This is forum for fighters(?), so you better have strong abs when you get push kick in lower abdominal. Don't wanna flame, but those big guys dl and squating big loads have some big bellys and despite looks are less functional for fighting, and weight distribution is simply big no no.

Not every PLer is a SHW.

Konstantin-Konstantinovs.jpg

kirkkarwoskiyy8.jpg

e3e5a-Matt_Kroczaleski.jpg

Edit: Bacon beat me.

haha..

yeh man I strained my oblique pretty bad while deadlifting like 6 weeks ago. I couldn't pull for like 10 days afterward :p

when you flex to stabilize your core for squatting or deadlifting you can just look at your obliques or have someone touch them and see they are contracting.

edit: Btw I think you need to get some overhead work in sometime, since it seems there is finally a lift you aren't beating me in.

Yeah I'm sure they are working pretty hard, I just never really feel them. Just like hamstrings, my hamstrings almost never get sore from squats or deadlifts for some reason. Need moar leg curlz I guess.

I hyperextended my back somehow so I've been laying off the heavy overhead stuff. Overhead stuff has also always been a weak point for me. But I'll see what I can do...

Roy nelson clearly has a fat gut (fatter than most powerlifters) and won the ultimate fighter

Yeah but his is a functional gut and his weight distribution is better.

Yeah I'm sure they are working pretty hard, I just never really feel them. Just like hamstrings, my hamstrings almost never get sore from squats or deadlifts for some reason. Need moar leg curlz I guess.

I hyperextended my back somehow so I've been laying off the heavy overhead stuff. Overhead stuff has also always been a weak point for me. But I'll see what I can do...

Yeh, I know what you mean about the hamstrings. I actually only notice my hamstrings after a high volume squat session and never after/while deadlifting.

Better be careful with the back. Its not like I can clean 255, anyway.. your clean totally rapes mine.

While I would agree, I would also say breathing technique has a lot to answer for when it comes to not getting winded by a body shot.

Yeah, air management is a must to be able to take multiple body shots when in the corner.

But no amount of situps will ever help / teach you how to take heavy blows in the solar plexus / upper ab area.

You gotta get hit there dozens of times until you can take a hit without collapsing in half.

I would like to discuss the economics of the American Civil War.

I have no opinion.

Let me check my phd research in this field.

Who cares, anyway. You need them, you work them. This is forum for fighters(?), so you better have strong abs when you get push kick in lower abdominal. Don't wanna flame, but those big guys dl and squating big loads have some big bellys and despite looks are less functional for fighting, and weight distribution is simply big no no.

What is with all the big belly hate? Just because some dude has a belly doesn't mean he can't take a hit / can't fight.

People vastly underestimate how strong these dude's abs are from their heavy squat / deadlift / overhead / bent row work.

I would like to discuss the economics of the American Civil War.

I have no opinion.

One of the critical issues that divided the North from the South was that of tariffs. Tariffs were taxes placed on imported goods, the money from which would go to the government. Throughout the antebellum period, whenever the federal government wanted to raise tariffs, Southern Congressmen generally opposed it and Northern Congressmen generally supported it. Southerners generally favored low tariffs because this kept the cost of imported goods low, which was important in the South's import-oriented economy. Southern planters and farmers were concerned that high tariffs might make their European trading partners, primarily the British, raise prices on manufactured goods imported by the South in order to maintain a profit on trade. And so . . .

Wait a minute. . .

What is with all the big belly hate? Just because some dude has a belly doesn't mean he can't take a hit / can't fight.

People vastly underestimate how strong these dude's abs are from their heavy squat / deadlift / overhead / bent row work.

No respect for the power gut.

Don't wanna flame, but those big guys dl and squating big loads have some big bellys and despite looks are less functional for fighting, and weight distribution is simply big no no.

Big bellys and strong abs aren't mutually exclusive.

Big bellys and strong abs aren't mutually exclusive.

I wonder though if it's possible to have a big belly and strong abs without also having exaggerated lordosis and anterior pelvic tilt due to some muscular imbalance. If not, shouldn't the stomach still remain relatively flat and not curved outward making it appear to be fat?

ab isolation work is useful because it's low impact and can be done many times a week. you can't squat heavy every day, but several sets of accessory ab work on your off days or after other workouts can only help improve your conditioning and overall stability

ab isolation work is useful because it's low impact and can be done many times a week. you can't squat heavy every day, but several sets of accessory ab work on your off days or after other workouts can only help improve your conditioning and overall stability

I work out every other day. Day 1 is sohp, day 2 is deads, day 3 is bench, and day 4 is squats, and all of these lifts involve my core. (the bench to a lesser extent as my form is shit) I will also say that kroc rows, at least the way I do them, are a bitch of a core work out.

I skipped the core work in ss and madcow's because I didn't have the extra time for the gym. I started doing core work again because I thought my core was my weak point on squats, but once I found out my core was not my issue on my squats and that my core is actually pretty damn strong, I decided I would just do accessory core work as I feel like it. I will most likely just work on my oh squats and call that my extra core work and maybe leg lifts for vanity.

I work out every other day. Day 1 is sohp, day 2 is deads, day 3 is bench, and day 4 is squats, and all of these lifts involve my core. (the bench to a lesser extent as my form is shit) I will also say that kroc rows, at least the way I do them, are a bitch of a core work out.

I skipped the core work in ss and madcow's because I didn't have the extra time for the gym. I started doing core work again because I thought my core was my weak point on squats, but once I found out my core was not my issue on my squats and that my core is actually pretty damn strong, I decided I would just do accessory core work as I feel like it. I will most likely just work on my oh squats and call that my extra core work and maybe leg lifts for vanity.

my kneejerk reaction is that if you are still working routines like madcow and starting strength extra work for the core, hips, hamstrings, etc... will only help you progress faster. the key is to break the accessory work down into smaller workouts, so you aren't in the gym for 3 hours at a time. you can work out every day a week as long as every day isn't balls to the wall. a quick 30 min workout for abs/post chain with low impact exercises will not cut into your recovery.. there are a lot of benefits to training frequently imo

my kneejerk reaction is that if you are still working routines like madcow and starting strength extra work for the core, hips, hamstrings, etc... will only help you progress faster. the key is to break the accessory work down into smaller workouts, so you aren't in the gym for 3 hours at a time. you can work out every day a week as long as every day isn't balls to the wall. a quick 30 min workout for abs/post chain with low impact exercises will not cut into your recovery.. there are a lot of benefits to training frequently imo

It definitely won't hurt, but I did hardly any assistance ab or hypers in ss or madcow's. My core is pretty damn strong anyway, which I think backs up the original article's point. My core was built by the big lifts.

Weak links can be identified in a few different ways. First, if somebody knowledgable watches your lifts, they may be able to tell, especially if your technique breaks down. Second, if there's something you really suck at. For example, if a few sets of hanging leg raises (or something else that's not particularly challenging) is particularly hard, and/or leaves you sore the next day, then it's probably a weak link. Third, if you feel something working especially hard during a lift, or it's especially sore afterwards. For example, if overhead presses leave your abs more sore than your pressing muscles.

None of these is a perfect way figure out a weakpoint. But it can give you an idea of what you may need extra work, and if the extra work improves one of your main lifts, great. Otherwise, it's some other issue, and you need to try something else.

High-rep chins tap into abs in a palpably different way.
Since a long set inevitably fatigues the abs, isometric control diminishes, and eccentric lengthening
followed by a concentric reset occurs each rep. This produces ab soreness where squats and deadlifts
do not, since the eccentric component of any eccentric/concentric cycle is the part that produces the
soreness (I

Not wrong just easily misunderstood.

Absolutely. Any method of figuring out weaklinks can be misunderstood, which is why a certain amount of knowledge and experience is necessary.

Back