Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor

I haven't bought a CD in about 8 months. Not because of downloading because I don't download anything, but I just kind of lost interest in music for a while.
This may have to be the next CD I buy as I gradually get back into music!

I am listening to the album right now.

The first track is off the John Wick Soundtrack, "Killing Strangers." It's alright. I like it.

I will probably finish listening to the whole album tomorrow.

I'll give it a listen. A friend of mine's sister dated Manson for a while after HS lol, my friend often got to hang out with Manson and Trent Reznor. Said Manson was a weirdo but Reznor was a normal guy who liked to ride jet skis and whatnot until he fell into a downward spiral so to speak with drugs

I had never listened to any of MM's full albums before... I actually quite like Mechanical Animals

Same. Plus I saw him live a few times and he was terrible (!) (didn't help that he was followed by Metallica the first time...). Then Mechanical Animals came out, I didn't like it at all, and I gave away all the CD's I had to friends, and didn't listen to him again, evar. That was my first and last 'teenage music strop' :p Looking back though, Mechanical Animals wasn't that bad, and I still think 'Portrait of an American Family' is pretty good record & probably the best thing he did... IMO... :icon_twis

I saw him in 2001 on that year's stacked Ozzfest lineup and thought he had the best show. I've seen performances from the last 10 years though where his voice seemed pretty shot. I kind of felt that way listening to "Born Villian" as well. His voice sounded bad. It seems to be really good on "The Pale Emperor". Trent Reznor said a few years back that Manson had fallen off big time as a person(said he used to always be the smartest guy in the room) and a musician/songwriter/performer because he's a junkie. That's why i had a theory he might have sobered up a bit for this album, and i guess his mom died as well. It's a very good album and he seems inspired. Might keep an eye out for upcoming Manson concerts.

I saw him in 2001 on that year's stacked Ozzfest lineup and thought he had the best show. I've seen performances from the last 10 years though where his voice seemed pretty shot. I kind of felt that way listening to "Born Villian" as well. His voice sounded bad. It seems to be really good on "The Pale Emperor". Trent Reznor said a few years back that Manson had fallen off big time as a person(said he used to always be the smartest guy in the room) and a musician/songwriter/performer because he's a junkie. That's why i had a theory he might have sobered up a bit for this album, and i guess his mom died as well. It's a very good album and he seems inspired. Might keep an eye out for upcoming Manson concerts.

If I remember correctly the relationship between Manson and Reznor got so bitter that the masters for AS got destroyed/went missing.

The best album of Manson. He blamed Trent, but who knows what happened. They were drugged out of their minds.

Thank you for making this thread. This is the best album I have listened too in a very long time. This is also the first time I have ever listened to a Marilyn Manson album.

Anyone know why Twiggy is not at all writing songs on the album?

MM the band partnered with Tyler Bates, a movie soundtrack guy. I think it's similar to what Aerosmith did with Desmond Child when they hit their 80's resurgence. Bates wrote all the music while Manson wrote all the lyrics. Kind of lame strategy but the end result is pretty good.

edit- Manson has gone off the rails a bit, but I have new found respect for hist past work consider how it holds up today, and is even more relevant than it has ever been.

Coma White is a killer track and almost predicts how oxycontin took over the US in the past 10 years.

The Dope Show is similar but also kind of touches on the US being in love with dumb celebrities.

Last edited:
I loved him when he was on all the covers. Now that he's not, I love another.

BX3_O96CEAA47MC.jpg:large

They blame it on Marilyn and the heroin. Where were the parents at?

Middle America, NOW it's a tragedy. Now it's so sad to see an upper class city having this happening. Then attack P&J cause I mod this way.

Incredibly underrated album in my opinion.

Agreed. It's my favourite Manson album.:)

I loved him when he was on all the covers. Now that he's not, I love another.

LoL.:D

MM the band partnered with Tyler Bates, a movie soundtrack guy. I think it's similar to what Aerosmith did with Desmond Child when they hit their 80's resurgence. Bates wrote all the music while Manson wrote all the lyrics. Kind of lame strategy but the end result is pretty good.

edit- Manson has gone off the rails a bit, but I have new found respect for hist past work consider how it holds up today, and is even more relevant than it has ever been.

Coma White is a killer track and almost predicts how oxycontin took over the US in the past 10 years.

The Dope Show is similar but also kind of touches on the US being in love with dumb celebrities.

I am pretty sure that Coma White is my favorite Manson song.:)

My favorite Eminem track

Yes! Mine too.

I don't thingk that I have ever agreed with more people in a single thread!

That song deep six on his new disc is pretty solid, I saw him once live and he collapsed on stage everyone thought it was an act but it wasn't and he was ambulances out of the show, he blamed it on the flue but I think the Devils powder played a role in that disaster

It was ok when I was younger, but now my tastes have changed. Funny how that happens. I used to hate the Stones, now I love them. Same goes for Lynard Skynard, Prince, The Police etc

Back