Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor

I can't listen to him in the same way I can no longer listen to Slipknot.

I just don't have enough teenage angst left in me to enjoy it.

Silly post. Marilyn Manson didn't typically have "angry youth" themes in his lyrics and if he ever did it was likely purely observational, like maybe some songs on Holy Wood which carries a strong media theme and it's effect on children(this was after he was crucified for Columbine). Maybe "Lunchbox" off his first record. If you actually listen to the lyrics it's not something any teenager gripes about or can even slightly relate to...atleast not any normal teenager. I can understand turning on a band like Korn after you've become an adult because most of their best albums were riddled with lyrics that are just embarrassing to listen to when you're an adult. Manson, not so much. A song like The Beautiful People flies over most teenagers head and the concept of Antichrist Superstar as a whole. It was popular with young people because his hits were also anthems which appeal to mainstream listeners, but to reduce it to "angry teenager" shit is flat out silly.

Slipknot...maybe, but they graduated from that well over 10 years ago. Also, Marilyn Manson is and never was in the same category as Slipknot. Two completely different bands. Marilyn Manson was always in the industrial rock realm with NIN...which maybe you think is a angry teen phase band as well but i would disagree.

Last edited:
Mehh my chick is a fan. She has been blasting it.

What was all that about?

He has a reputation for being abusive to his bandmates. The co-founder/co-writer of the band who quit the band right after recording Antichrist Superstar said that Manson would humiliate guys on stage that he had disagreements with. He pushed Daisy Berkowitz off the stage in the early days, and knocked out Ginger Fish with a mic stand. He also said that altercations were part of the act as well though sometimes they were real if Manson flipped. Hard to say whether the John 5 altercation was real.

He has a reputation for being abusive to his bandmates. The co-founder/co-writer of the band who quit the band right after recording Antichrist Superstar said that Manson would humiliate guys on stage that he had disagreements with. He pushed Daisy Berkowitz off the stage in the early days, and knocked out Ginger Fish with a mic stand. He also said that altercations were part of the act as well though sometimes they were real if Manson flipped. Hard to say whether the John 5 altercation was real.

Yeah I heard various stories, i'd imagine Manson could be an absolute **** at times.

Wasn't 'F*ck Frankie' all about some deaf and dumb girl they tied up naked backstage and covered her with meat or something?

Silly post. Marilyn Manson didn't typically have "angry youth" themes in his lyrics and if he ever did it was likely purely observational, like maybe some songs on Holy Wood which carries a strong media theme and it's effect on children(this was after he was crucified for Columbine). Maybe "Lunchbox" off his first record. If you actually listen to the lyrics it's not something any teenager gripes about or can even slightly relate to...atleast not any normal teenager. I can understand turning on a band like Korn after you've become an adult because most of their best albums were riddled with lyrics that are just embarrassing to listen to when you're an adult. Manson, not so much. A song like The Beautiful People flies over most teenagers head and the concept of Antichrist Superstar as a whole. It was popular with young people because his hits were also anthems which appeal to mainstream listeners, but to reduce it to "angry teenager" shit is flat out silly.

Slipknot...maybe, but they graduated from that well over 10 years ago. Also, Marilyn Manson is and never was in the same category as Slipknot. Two completely different bands. Marilyn Manson was always in the industrial rock realm with NIN...which maybe you think is a angry teen phase band as well but i would disagree.

They blame it on Marilyn and the heroin. Where were the parents at?

Listening to full album now.

First song so far is great. Killing Strangers.

Yeah I heard various stories, i'd imagine Manson could be an absolute **** at times.

Wasn't 'F*ck Frankie' all about some deaf and dumb girl they tied up naked backstage and covered her with meat or something?

A great topic for a song I think.

Never got into him.
A couple of tunes of Mechanical Animals were surprisingly decent, but the rest of his stuff was just too shock-rawk nonsense for me...wasn't even heavy music IMO.

I can't listen to him in the same way I can no longer listen to Slipknot.

I just don't have enough teenage angst left in me to enjoy it.

Yeah, nu-metal aged TERRIBLY. It had a really short shelf-life.
I was sooo into at one point and it seemed like within days, I couldn't listen to it anymore. Not saying Manson was nu-metal but he was clumped into that generation of bands.

I discovered really heavy music, not pretend heavy, with lyrics that never touched upon teenage angst and stuff like that. I can't listen to that stuff anymore either, I mainly listen to music when i'm chilling/writing/reading now and anything overly heavy just distracts me.

I think some metal of that time has aged pretty well, all the bands who were just part of a fad like nu-metal sort of died out.

Bands like Korn and Deftones are still going well. But then you have bands like Spineshank and Disturbed.

that 'killing strangers' song was in John Wick - it was sick as fuck in that movie, good song. Listening to the rest of the album bc of this thread.

As far as Korn still doing well - they're my favorite childhood band, and I really liked the 'Untitled' album, but everything I've heard since then hasn't been good at all (altho I haven't listened very closely). I still love all the old songs though.

Very good album. My favorite has always been Portrait of an American Family and this feels closest to that album just with a blues edge instead of hard rock/metal.

One thing that has bothered me about Manson in the later years is he's relied on his character and gimmick for too long. He kept making albums as if people were afraid of him or like he was still controversial and that just wasn't the case. It didn't feel like he was evolving as an artist like Trent Reznor was despite having the ability to do so.

With Pale Emperor, it feels like he's just trying to make a good album. His voice is the best it has been in years. The lyrics are good and the bluesy style songs just fit perfectly. My favorites right now are "Killing Strangers" "Third Day Of A Seven Day Binge", "The Mephistopheles Of Los Angeles" and "The Devil Beneath My Feet".

Every song is good and immediately likable. 8/10

Very good album. My favorite has always been Portrait of an American Family and this feels closest to that album just with a blues edge instead of hard rock/metal.

One thing that has bothered me about Manson in the later years is he's relied on his character and gimmick for too long. He kept making albums as if people were afraid of him or like he was still controversial and that just wasn't the case. It didn't feel like he was evolving as an artist like Trent Reznor was despite having the ability to do so.

With Pale Emperor, it feels like he's just trying to make a good album. His voice is the best it has been in years. The lyrics are good and the bluesy style songs just fit perfectly. My favorites right now are "Killing Strangers" "Third Day Of A Seven Day Binge", "The Mephistopheles Of Los Angeles" and "The Devil Beneath My Feet".

Every song is good and immediately likable. 8/10

I agree about him relying on his image/schtick for too long. Golden Age of Grotesque seemed like his heart just wasn't in it anymore. I actually read that he planned on that being his last album but his divorce from Dita Von Teese inspired him to start writing again which resulted in Eat Me, Drink Me, a more personal album which felt more like a solo album where he wasn't trying to recapture the glory of his earlier albums. These last few albums have seemed to grow from there.

I listened to half of the new album this morning and so far I think it's pretty good.

He must be hard up for money. He's playing some in some shit hole 5000 person stadium in Minot, ND soon.

Dudes worth like 20 million.

Smaller venues often times provide a much more personal atmosphere, fyi homeboi

I agree about him relying on his image/schtick for too long. Golden Age of Grotesque seemed like his heart just wasn't in it anymore. I actually read that he planned on that being his last album but his divorce from Dita Von Teese inspired him to start writing again which resulted in Eat Me, Drink Me, a more personal album which felt more like a solo album where he wasn't trying to recapture the glory of his earlier albums. These last few albums have seemed to grow from there.

I listened to half of the new album this morning and so far I think it's pretty good.

I really enjoyed Golden Age for some reason. It had a ton of catchy and interesting songs. The only thing that bugged me is that it really tried to recapture the Antichrist Superstar days with its hooks. I also hated how every song had "God" as a lyric over and over. We get it.

I just didn't like Eat Me, Drink Me at all when it came out but it has since grown on me to be one of their better albums. It does feel more like a solo project but it's different and feels like an artistic and personal album.

High End of Low didn't grab me either at first but also ended up growing on me. Still not high on my list and feels pretty generic.

Born Villain grabbed me the least out of all of them and it doesn't doesn't grab me. It's not bad but there just isn't anything on it that brings me back to it.

Pale Emperor is a breath of fresh air both musically and lyrically.

huge fan of his back in the 90's. After mechanical animals, my interest pretty much dropped off.

I'll take your word for it TS and order the new album out of curiosity.

Back