Marathon Training While Big

There are a couple guys here planning to run a half marathon if I remember correctly but I dont know their height/weight or who it is. Hah

Have you considered getting into ultra marathons? Granted you'll need to drop a lot of weight to do it but it's pretty bad ass and you've already shown that you can do high volume running even at 200+ lb.

Have you considered getting into ultra marathons? Granted you'll need to drop a lot of weight to do it but it's pretty bad ass and you've already shown that you can do high volume running even at 200+ lb.

Watching these videos, as well as having a love of everything that is distance, I can say I have definitely considered it. If I was to go into something like that I would have to change a lot of things about my life and at the moment would probably not be the easiest thing in the world, what with me just about to start law school. I would love to run this type of stuff maybe three - four times a year.

Endurance activities are as a mental as they are physical which is something most people do not understand. If you truly push yourself (even if you're not the "ideal" size) and your lungs and heart can take the beating, you can run great distances.

Watching these videos, as well as having a love of everything that is distance, I can say I have definitely considered it. If I was to go into something like that I would have to change a lot of things about my life and at the moment would probably not be the easiest thing in the world, what with me just about to start law school. I would love to run this type of stuff maybe three - four times a year.

I've heard good things about the Canadian Death Race.

One thing. Regarding the earlier post where you mentioned elements of your strength regime; Have you considered changing it? I think under any circumstances free weights > machines, no matter what your goals and ambitions are. For instance: Why use the leg press when you can squat? Maybe kinda off-topic, but I'm curious..

Freeweights destroy the CNS which is the single biggest reason he may not want to use them. If he was to do FWs, he'd need to do them with extremely submaximal weights, at which point you have to wonder if there's even a point. Machines although highly imperfect may be in this scenario a better option.

I've heard good things about the Canadian Death Race.

One thing. Regarding the earlier post where you mentioned elements of your strength regime; Have you considered changing it? I think under any circumstances free weights > machines, no matter what your goals and ambitions are. For instance: Why use the leg press when you can squat? Maybe kinda off-topic, but I'm curious..

I too am under the impression that free weight > machines. Obviously they are not completely unavoidable and as was mentioned in the post above I do not do use them as often as someone who would be using them for gain. I try to use them I guess to supplement the machines only to keep myself where I am.

Freeweights destroy the CNS which is the single biggest reason he may not want to use them. If he was to do FWs, he'd need to do them with extremely submaximal weights, at which point you have to wonder if there's even a point. Machines although highly imperfect may be in this scenario a better option.

OK.. But what would be the point in using the machines?

This may be obvious, but why is it so detrimental for a marathon runner to destroy his CNS with free weigths? what would be the consequenses?

I could understand if it was a gymnast, or a circus artist, but running seems pretty..static.

My reasoning is simply running is natural, so is free weights, implementing all the stabilizing muscles etc in the body, opposed to most machines which just isolates muscle groups in most cases, creating bottlenecks.

I guess my question is, what would be the consequenses for a marathon runner in damaging the CNS? would he run inefficiently or something? I'm just thinking, if you're going to bulk and train weigths, why use the machines?
Is it not better to put on functional mass all over, instead of, for example just large quads/hams using the leg-press? That scenario has to be pretty bad for a runner as well, it must be like wearing useless, heavy muscle-pillows on your thighs or something :D

This may be obvious, but why is it so detrimental for a marathon runner to destroy his CNS with free weigths? what would be the consequenses?

I could understand if it was a gymnast, or a circus artist, but running seems pretty..static.

My reasoning is simply running is natural, so is free weights, implementing all the stabilizing muscles etc in the body, opposed to most machines which just isolates muscle groups in most cases, creating bottlenecks.

I guess my question is, what would be the consequenses for a marathon runner in damaging the CNS? would he run inefficiently or something? I'm just thinking, if you're going to bulk and train weigths, why use the machines?
Is it not better to put on functional mass all over, instead of, for example just large quads/hams using the leg-press? That scenario has to be pretty bad for a runner as well, it must be like wearing useless, heavy muscle-pillows on your thighs or something :D

One side effect would be the need for longer recovery time thus impacting his running schedule. possibly forcing him to decrease intensity or duration to be able to cope with a CNS that is not full recovered

I don't think a moderate squat workout once a week would be too difficult to recover from. And it would likely be more beneficial than all of your current weight training.

I get gassed even running a mile anymore and my knee hurts like fuck when I do. That's what happens when you gain 35 lbs and counting in a year.

I am 6'3, 230 lbs or so, and have ran in a few half-marathons so far. I have have always loved both the weight-training and cardio aspects of training, but as I have progressed, it becomes more and more difficult to do it both(at least in terms of gaining or even maintaining strength and improving from 20k to marathon). I began training for a marathon in oct., but realizing the sacrifice i would have to make in terms of my physique and strength, I think I will stick with a few more half-marathons until I delve into that. I am hoping that I can build up my base strength some more, and then train to marathon in the summers alternating with strength/speed training in the winter, working kindof a slow/fast-twitch yearly split. I knew before reading these posts that I was overweight for long-distance running, but I am appalled to the extent. I still plan to run a marathon in oct 2011 at 210-220(I have a large frame;look like skin and bones at 200)

Last edited:
Thanks for that GSP. How have you found your times to be so far & where do you find you hit the wall?

Lets see, CNS burnout would mean increased risk of injury, constantly feeling tired, lethargic, loss of motivation, longer recovery times, decreased appetite, loss of strength/performance, problems sleeping, and many others. Additionally once you hit the point of over-training which although is not easy, will be very difficult to recover from.

Marathon runners do not have the same carryover from lifting weights as sprinters or shorter distance runners. Marathon runners need to be as efficient in terms of body mass as possible, with a very low body fat. Sure he can do some conditioning work specific to his sport with barbells/FWs and call that strength work.

Thanks for that GSP. How have you found your times to be so far & where do you find you hit the wall?

ran my last 20k in 1:55. Nowadays I dont really hit the wall unless I train in hot weather, wich makes my long runs almost impossible and was a big motivation to post-pone the marathon. I also have concerns about hydration levels during long runs and am not particulary fond of carrying a water bottle or stopping to rehydrate. In lower 60's weather though, I can only estimate that at my current levels I would prabably hit the wall around 13-14 miles. It doesnt seem to hit me until I stop running, wich is why I hate to do so during a long run.

Yea, not exactly the type of time, I am looking for. Given that I run ten miles at 4:10/km, I was thinking I would like to get close to just under three or over by five at the very least.

What is that, an average of 6 min 40 per mile.

Give the same units for distance and speed next, makes life easier.

James Fixx says if you aren't gaunt you aren't in shape, he says you ideally want to be as close to 140 - 150. Off the top of my head, I think he said that for every pound you are over this, you're already 100m behind a person of equal level of training over the full distance of a marathon, meaning I'd finish a whole six kilometres behind a 140 lb. version of myself.

While that is a large distance, it is something I am comfortable with. I know I am in shape, though not in same shape that a person like Fixx would say is considered in shape.

I think they also say for every pound, you are supposed to be 5-10s slower per mile.

I don't really have much to contribute and I doubt many on here would. I don't see many people running that long of distances for time. When I was running a lot, I would do 7-8 miles, but it would never be for time. Once I got past 5 miles, I never really worried about the time as I was jogging. I've browsed most logs here, and I don't think I can recall anyone besides maybe Ian running long distances for time.

ran my last 20k in 1:55. Nowadays I dont really hit the wall unless I train in hot weather, wich makes my long runs almost impossible and was a big motivation to post-pone the marathon. I also have concerns about hydration levels during long runs and am not particulary fond of carrying a water bottle or stopping to rehydrate. In lower 60's weather though, I can only estimate that at my current levels I would prabably hit the wall around 13-14 miles. It doesnt seem to hit me until I stop running, wich is why I hate to do so during a long run.

Sweet. A fellow big guys that runs. How do your knees and ankles hold up? Do you take glucosamine with chondroitin for joints? I feel like I can run forever but my knees or ankles usually give out before my lungs.

Back