Marathon Training While Big

I think they also say for every pound, you are supposed to be 5-10s slower per mile.

Yea, that would equate out to close to 50m. Fixx's book is rather old, though is what I have always based my running theories around, even though I do break the mold.

Sweet. A fellow big guys that runs. How do your knees and ankles hold up? Do you take glucosamine with chondroitin for joints? I feel like I can run forever but my knees or ankles usually give out before my lungs.

Never had issues with ankles. Some moderate knee pain, but nothing serious. To allieve this I might do alternative low or non-impact cardio(i.e. elipitical,swimming) work during regular training sessions(weights followed by cardio). I also now wear knee wraps when squatting heavy to stabilize that joint. I am somewhat ignornant as to what supplements I should be taking improve joint health and/or reduce risk of injury. Do any of you have any suggestions or personal experiences of relevance. Also, any ideas about shoes, knee braces, etc. that might help in terms of shock absorbtion or ways to stay hydrated during a long run? As far as what causes me to "hit the wall" so to speak, if I jog within my threshold, my cardio never gives, but my muscular endurance and joints seems give about the same time.

I'm not sure but was that George W eating a baby??

Also MARSOC > poop Rangers

Get that shit outta here. (mildly)

Also, I have ran 2 half marathons and did cross country for the past 3 years. My first half I ran in just under 2 hours, my second was just over. The second one I was about 15lbs heavier than the first, and I hadn't really trained for either of them, I just did them. Ok thats a lie, the first half I did was during track season, so I had at least a couple miles a week for about 4 weeks prior, but I hadn't ran anything more than 1200m. The second one I really did not train for, at all. I ran them both in mizuno's, and have never really had knee problems.

I have had shin splints though, once during my first track season and again just recently. During track it was because of poor running form and jumping into long distances right away, doing a sort of airborne shuffle, running heel-toe. The day after a long run I would go to track practice and not be able to finish because of the pain in my shins. Recently, being about 210-215, I started to run again after a decent layoff, skipping track season, and running in my mizuno's would just kill me. Bought a pair of asics, made it even worse, and so I went to vibram five fingers, and that sucked for a while, but I got used to them and have been pain free since. Slow, but no shin splints.

Ways to stay hydrated during a long run - if it isn't a race and you don't have access to water stations then you can get one of those Nathan belts to hold a water bottle or a camelback.

are you training to finish the marathon with a decent time or not?

Ways to stay hydrated during a long run - if it isn't a race and you don't have access to water stations then you can get one of those Nathan belts to hold a water bottle or a camelback.

I used camelbacks all the time when I was in the military. I went through like 10 of them. Absolutely hate running with them (the sloshing noise drives me crazy) but that's just personal preference

I used camelbacks all the time when I was in the military. I went through like 10 of them. Absolutely hate running with them (the sloshing noise drives me crazy) but that's just personal preference

Camelbacks and ear plugs? But yeah, they can be annoying. So can the water bottle belts IMO. Of course, dehydration sucks a lot more.

Also, forgot to mention, hydrating two or three hours beforehand is always a good idea.

I've done it a few times as a 220+, no problem although i do seem to hurt abit more than normal in the deeper water.

I don't really have much to contribute and I doubt many on here would. I don't see many people running that long of distances for time. When I was running a lot, I would do 7-8 miles, but it would never be for time. Once I got past 5 miles, I never really worried about the time as I was jogging. I've browsed most logs here, and I don't think I can recall anyone besides maybe Ian running long distances for time.

A lot of the running I do now is HR based after reading Joels book and posts.
Still then though, they are 8-9 milers (I just can't be arsed to log them).

My 2-3 milers are ocassionally logged, but that is just to see how I'm doing in the grand scheme of things.

Does anyone in here own a HR monitor? I was thinking about buying one

That's awesome ian. Most of the people in this forum only care about doing deadlifts all day where some of us actually care about overall fitness and performance. Monitoring your heart rate can help reach those goals. I definately need to get one. I'm also a data junkie lol

I'm a bit all over the place re goals these days. Do have a on/off love affair with lifting and training these days.

The reason I fell out of love with cardio was because of the lack of feedback (well, this was based on padwork and sparring rounds).

Have a look around. The forerunner series are triathlon based, so have gps etc, hence the increased cost compared to normal HR monitors, but you can also do custom training (like HR based power intervals on whatever, like a rowing machine), so highly rate it for the extra things you can do on it (and that was before I can now get the data off).

You may want to check out "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. It is about a bigger guy wanted to start running and his many problems with feet and knee injuries. He learned about how barefoot running reduces injuries and jolting stresses on the body because the runner does not rely on the big pad of foam under the heel. You have to run on your toes. I now run 15-20 miles a week in these:

large.jpg

You may want to check out "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. It is about a bigger guy wanted to start running and his many problems with feet and knee injuries. He learned about how barefoot running reduces injuries and jolting stresses on the body because the runner does not rely on the big pad of foam under the heel. You have to run on your toes. I now run 15-20 miles a week in these:

large.jpg

Actually, humans were meant to run barefoot over longer distances.

Something I watched a couple of months ago.

large.jpg

I've been running on trails since January after I got my classics.
I've now actually got a small hole in my right vibram shoe so will be buying some treks,

A good ol' fat boy marathon thread. I love them!

I'm a moderate mileage runner (40+ a week) @ a weight of 175 - 185.

I've run a 18 minute 5K, a 1:27 half and a 3:11 full marathon. I'm running my first 50K this November and feel pretty good about it. In January, I am planning to tackle a 100K but haven't signed up yet.

At 90 miles a week, you should have no problem with the marathon. You will probably experience some fatigue around mile 20 due to low or depleted glycogen, but it shouldn't feel any worse than running on legs that are used to running 90 miles a week (at least physically). With this amount of miles, you should have a few 10+ mile runs through the week that will be good for your LSD.

You don't need to build your base or need to increase your endurance so the only real tips I can give you is:

1) Take a few gels with you and use them around mile 6, 12, and 18.
2) I like to take a cup of water and a cup of sports drink at every other aid station and a cup of water at every aid station. Heavier runners need more of this than the typical 150 lb runner.
3) You don't need S caps at the marathon distance, but you can take a few if you want. They will be more mental than anything at this distance.
4) Taper, taper, taper. Drop back to about 30 miles two to three weeks prior to the race.
5) Enjoy your first one and don't race against the clock. You are in the beginnings of the trial and error stage and please realize this.
6) Carb loading is okay, but don't overdo it.
7) Get a little extra sleep in the taper weeks to recover.
8) Try to get some real food late in the race. Again, this is a mental thing.

Good luck.

A good ol' fat boy marathon thread. I love them!

I'm a moderate mileage runner (40+ a week) @ a weight of 175 - 185.

I've run a 18 minute 5K, a 1:27 half and a 3:11 full marathon. I'm running my first 50K this November and feel pretty good about it. In January, I am planning to tackle a 100K but haven't signed up yet.

At 90 miles a week, you should have no problem with the marathon. You will probably experience some fatigue around mile 20 due to low or depleted glycogen, but it shouldn't feel any worse than running on legs that are used to running 90 miles a week (at least physically). With this amount of miles, you should have a few 10+ mile runs through the week that will be good for your LSD.

You don't need to build your base or need to increase your endurance so the only real tips I can give you is:

1) Take a few gels with you and use them around mile 6, 12, and 18.
2) I like to take a cup of water and a cup of sports drink at every other aid station and a cup of water at every aid station. Heavier runners need more of this than the typical 150 lb runner.
3) You don't need S caps at the marathon distance, but you can take a few if you want. They will be more mental than anything at this distance.
4) Taper, taper, taper. Drop back to about 30 miles two to three weeks prior to the race.
5) Enjoy your first one and don't race against the clock. You are in the beginnings of the trial and error stage and please realize this.
6) Carb loading is okay, but don't overdo it.
7) Get a little extra sleep in the taper weeks to recover.
8) Try to get some real food late in the race. Again, this is a mental thing.

Good luck.

One of my biggest issues as a big guy is ankle pain. they tend to give way before my lungs. do you have the same problem?

Back