Marathon Training While Big

Flawed Logic**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I am preparing for my first marathon, and while I have a series of great coaches behind me, including my father, who is a Pan American Gold Medalist, not one of them have much experience with runners who are over 185 lbs. At the moment I weigh 203 lbs. at 9% BF. I am a follower of James Fixx, author of 'The Complete Book of Running' and understand that I am not at the ideal size for running. Even when I raced internationally for track & field and cross country, I knew that weighing 165 lbs. was not the best idea for a distance runner, though I did very little to control this.

I am curious if any of you have experience running marathons or even half-marathons as a plus sized runner, anything over 180. I put in 90+ miles a week, but I have yet to run the full 26 and bit, and wanted to know if any of you had any tricks that you used. I normally would stick to running threads, except so many runners that post on them tend to be gaunt and strictly run or do that in combination with another sport or sports, like triathlons.

More power to you...but if your ambition is to be a top marathon runner, abandon this pursuit now.

I do triathlons (have an olympic one this saturday), aquathlons, half-marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and other races. I weighed 185lbs at the start but dropped my weight to ~170lbs to avoid killing my joints (I am only 5'9'').

If you are planning on doing this at a higher weight then you need to take major precautions to avoid shin splints and other joint problems. For example, 2XU makes great calf compression sleeves and I would run in either the asic Kayano, Gel-Kinetics, Gel-nimbus, etc to gain proper shock absorbency.

In the end though....From my experience I think you will need to lose the weight to at least 180 in order to keep your joints fresh through such rigorous training.

I've always wanted to do a marathon/half marathon in the clydesdale division (not sure if all marathons have this or just some local ones) but its a division for those over 220lbs.

If you're trying to be competitive maybe looking for something like that might help...

I put in 90+ miles a week, but I have yet to run the full 26 and bit, and wanted to know if any of you had any tricks that you used..

Sorry I just saw this. You are either full of shit about running 90+ miles a week (without ever doing a full 26) or you have no clue how to train for a marathon. What I mean by this is that if you are running 3 days a week, that is 30 miles a run. 4 days a week is 22.5mi a run, 5 days a week is 18mi a run. You should not be running over 5 days a week. Period. And if you are putting in 90+mi a week (with none of these being long runs over 26mi) then you are majorly over-training. Your set-up needs to have SHORT and LONG runs. You can't be doing either if you are hitting 90+ a week without hitting a 26miler.

Edit: In fact, the mod's should just close this thread because I call bull-shit all over the place.

When i first got out of the Marines, I took some time off and just trained jiu jitsu and worked out. I was 235 at the time trained jiu jitsu twice a day and was running about 16 miles daily (bad idea). Lasted only a few weeks until one morning I woke up for practice and couldn't even get out of bed because my knees were soo bad. Had to take a month off for them to heal properly. Running as a big guy is very rough on the joints so you'll need to rest properly. I was dumb. I do plan on doing a triathlon someday though and i'm about 225 right now so I feel for you

When i first got out of the Marines, I took some time off and just trained jiu jitsu and worked out. I was 235 at the time trained jiu jitsu twice a day and was running about 16 miles daily (bad idea). Lasted only a few weeks until one morning I woke up for practice and couldn't even get out of bed because my knees were soo bad. Had to take a month off for them to heal properly. Running as a big guy is very rough on the joints so you'll need to rest properly. I was dumb. I do plan on doing a triathlon someday though and i'm about 225 right now so I feel for you

YouTube - Ranger School Promo

Sorry I just saw this. You are either full of shit about running 90+ miles a week (without ever doing a full 26) or you have no clue how to train for a marathon. What I mean by this is that if you are running 3 days a week, that is 30 miles a run. 4 days a week is 22.5mi a run, 5 days a week is 18mi a run. You should not be running over 5 days a week. Period. And if you are putting in 90+mi a week (with none of these being long runs over 26mi) then you are majorly over-training. Your set-up needs to have SHORT and LONG runs. You can't be doing either if you are hitting 90+ a week without hitting a 26miler.

Edit: In fact, the mod's should just close this thread because I call bull-shit all over the place.

This. Either a typo, or bullshit.

BTW. I'm 200 lbs and ran a marathon last year.

In my opinion, anybody can do it with a couple of months of normal training and the right state of mind. I'm a stubborn bastard, so I knew I would finish no matter what, and actually it was not as bad as I thought.

I ran 3 days a week for a total of 25 miles a week for 2 months leading up to the race. Finished the race in 4:26, no problem.

I do triathlons (have an olympic one this saturday), aquathlons, half-marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and other races. I weighed 185lbs at the start but dropped my weight to ~170lbs to avoid killing my joints (I am only 5'9'').

If you are planning on doing this at a higher weight then you need to take major precautions to avoid shin splints and other joint problems. For example, 2XU makes great calf compression sleeves and I would run in either the asic Kayano, Gel-Kinetics, Gel-nimbus, etc to gain proper shock absorbency.

In the end though....From my experience I think you will need to lose the weight to at least 180 in order to keep your joints fresh through such rigorous training.

I have always ran in Kiyanos. I of course have the newest pair, times three.

Okay, you have fun calling bullshit on that. I run seven days a week, like I have everyday since I was twelve. Been doing so for ten years, just have been slowly bulking up over the last two and marathon training has never crossed my mind until now.

This. Either a typo, or bullshit.

BTW. I'm 200 lbs and ran a marathon last year.

In my opinion, anybody can do it with a couple of months of normal training and the right state of mind. I'm a stubborn bastard, so I knew I would finish no matter what, and actually it was not as bad as I thought.

I ran 3 days a week for a total of 25 miles a week for 2 months leading up to the race. Finished the race in 4:26, no problem.

Yea, not exactly the type of time, I am looking for. Given that I run ten miles at 4:10/km, I was thinking I would like to get close to just under three or over by five at the very least.

FL I am having a hard time imagining someone being 200+ lb while putting in over 50+ miles in a week (especially with 90 miles) and running 7 days a week.

Have you tried asking this question on a running forum?

I have seen programs that build to running a marathon with much lower weekly mileage and no single run exceeding 20 miles. What you're saying is approaching a volume of a super marathoner.

How many calories do you consume daily?

Do you do any form of strength training?

Preparing to Marathon Train

Intermediate programs do not exceed 28 miles in any week or 10 miles on any day and only training 3 days a week.

Marathon Training Schedule

Here's a template for experienced runners where the weekly volume peaks at 45-46 miles and building to several runs of 20+ miles, including a 26 mile run during the final week for one and only workout. Notice how the running frequency changes between 3-5 days depending on the daily and weekly running volume, with final week of only 1 run.

Yea, not exactly the type of time, I am looking for. Given that I run ten miles at 4:10/km, I was thinking I would like to get close to just under three or over by five at the very least.

OK then. Sorry for calling BS. 90+ miles a week is insane though, and I think I have next to nothing to contribute, as you are 10x more experienced than I am at running. I ran with the goal of completing a marathon withing 6 hrs. You have obviously a completely different goal in attempting to get under/near 3 hrs.

I would imagine keeping some sort of respectable numbers in the strength department has to be extremely difficult with that amount of mileage?

I'm glad someone started a thread like this. If you can run over two hundred pounds comfortably then I think that's awesome when I weighed 205 I had a lot of problems running. Now that I'm 185 it's much easier for me at least. What's the ideal weight for running long distance? Is there such a thing??

I'm glad someone started a thread like this. If you can run over two hundred pounds comfortably then I think that's awesome when I weighed 205 I had a lot of problems running. Now that I'm 185 it's much easier for me at least. What's the ideal weight for running long distance? Is there such a thing??

James Fixx says if you aren't gaunt you aren't in shape, he says you ideally want to be as close to 140 - 150. Off the top of my head, I think he said that for every pound you are over this, you're already 100m behind a person of equal level of training over the full distance of a marathon, meaning I'd finish a whole six kilometres behind a 140 lb. version of myself.

While that is a large distance, it is something I am comfortable with. I know I am in shape, though not in same shape that a person like Fixx would say is considered in shape.

James Fixx says if you aren't gaunt you aren't in shape, he says you ideally want to be as close to 140 - 150. Off the top of my head, I think he said that for every pound you are over this, you're already 100m behind a person of equal level of training over the full distance of a marathon, meaning I'd finish a whole six kilometres behind a 140 lb. version of myself.

While that is a large distance, it is something I am comfortable with. I know I am in shape, though not in same shape that a person like Fixx would say is considered in shape.

In Marathon shape that is. Of course, height is going to factor into the ideal weight equation.

OK then. Sorry for calling BS. 90+ miles a week is insane though, and I think I have next to nothing to contribute, as you are 10x more experienced than I am at running. I ran with the goal of completing a marathon withing 6 hrs. You have obviously a completely different goal in attempting to get under/near 3 hrs.

I would imagine keeping some sort of respectable numbers in the strength department has to be extremely difficult with that amount of mileage?

Outside of things like the leg press machine, or really any machine that emphasizes the use of legs, yes I would say that I am probably on the lower end than most. I can probably only do the chest hammer press machine for about sixty in each arm, hammer curl forty and shoulder shrug using eighty pounds in each hand. I am not in a program like Starting Strength or a 5x5 routine like most of the guys on here, so no dead lifting, squatting or benching for me, at least not regularly. I still go to the gym five days a week, lats, arms, shoulders, legs and core day respectively.

Since I am not racing to win, more so just to be able to continue racing now that I am no longer competing with my university of city club and just want to run a respectable time.

Back