Marathon Training While Big

In Marathon shape that is. Of course, height is going to factor into the ideal weight equation.

Of course, height does play a part when it comes to weight, something Fixx does not really emphasize if I remember correctly, I do remember 140 - 150 as my magic number based on me being 6'0".

James Fixx says if you aren't gaunt you aren't in shape, he says you ideally want to be as close to 140 - 150. Off the top of my head, I think he said that for every pound you are over this, you're already 100m behind a person of equal level of training over the full distance of a marathon, meaning I'd finish a whole six kilometres behind a 140 lb. version of myself.

While that is a large distance, it is something I am comfortable with. I know I am in shape, though not in same shape that a person like Fixx would say is considered in shape.

Jesus. Does he factor height into that? I'm 6'1 or 6'2 and 185 so by his standards I guess I'm a fatty? I just read back at you being 6'0 what does this guy recommend for a diet to be that small?

Preparing to Marathon Train

Intermediate programs do not exceed 28 miles in any week or 10 miles on any day and only training 3 days a week.

Marathon Training Schedule

Here's a template for experienced runners where the weekly volume peaks at 45-46 miles and building to several runs of 20+ miles, including a 26 mile run during the final week for one and only workout. Notice how the running frequency changes between 3-5 days depending on the daily and weekly running volume, with final week of only 1 run.

I could not imagine limiting myself to 40 - 50 miles a week. Even when I was preparing for nationals, we'd do one kilometre intervals eight times, the race distance, plus a 3km warm up and cool down, working out to 14km. By the time I did that three times a week, got hill training in and my LSD, I was well over that.

Jesus. Does he factor height into that? I'm 6'1 or 6'2 and 185 so by his standards I guess I'm a fatty?

By his standards yes, you too are a fatty. At least a running fatty. As with every sport, the extremists always have their idea on the ideal body shape to be a great athlete and if you do not fall within their standards you cannot be great.

I guess the reason why I'm asking is because you come off as a cocky asshole who has no interest in anyone else's opinion.

Really? Because someone posted a link to a generic couch-to-marathon training schedule that advises him to run half the mileage he currently does? That makes him cocky?

I think he said it best in his original post: he's asking if there's any big guys here who run marathons (since most runner's forums are populated by people under 200 pounds). He gave his goals, he gave his current mileage and workouts, he gave his running background, and he just wanted to see if anyone other big guys run and had big-guy-running problems or suggestions.

What exactly is this thread about, Flawed? Are you just trying to prove to everyone that you are an elite runner or some shit?

How have you done in the past? You're obviously a bigger guy now than you were back in your running days, so how's your time on the 10+ mile jogs?

I wanted people's statements on how they've done being a plus size marathon runner as I stated in my OP.

I am curious if any of you have experience running marathons or even half-marathons as a plus sized runner, anything over 180 . . . and wanted to know if any of you had any tricks that you used.

I have not raced a marathon before as I also stated:

I am preparing for my first marathon

When I go out for a ten mile jog, I attempt to run as close to 4:15/km, sometimes I do die off to closer to 4:30.

FL the fact that you dont lift with freeweights (esp BBs) and heavy like most people here is to your benefit because there's little chance you could recover much less make any kind of progress with your running volume.

I guess the reason why I'm asking is because you come off as a cocky asshole who has no interest in anyone else's opinion.

And I am sorry if I am perceived that way, I value everyone's opinion, whether I take that into use is entirely different. However, that was not what I intended to generate in the way of discussion, I was more interested in people's experience. I am however, more than happy to answer whatever questions I can about running to the best of my ability and knowledge with no intention of leading others astray and if I feel like I cannot answer something correctly I will direct them somewhere where they may find their answers.

FL the fact that you dont lift with freeweights (esp BBs) and heavy like most people here is to your benefit because there's little chance you could recover much less make any kind of progress with your running volume.

I am aware that lifting heavy is not beneficial for a wide variety of reasons; my caloric intake is close to 2500 - 3000/day, excluding what I do ingest with my protein supplements, two shakes (powder + milk) and a bar. I think you asked earlier, so I thought I should include that here.

FL ultimately this is the wrong forum to get a proper response.

I can tell you this. I ran cross country/track for a year in HS freshman year as a 140 lb guy. I sucked horribly, in part because I had no motivation to train. I have since run the mile as a 215-220 lb with much greater success without putting in too much work. Granted this is a relatively short distance as far as long distance goes.

I completely agree that long distance running favors smaller guys in the 130-160 lb weight range and 5'4-5'8 height. This is simply my observations and by no means scientifically proven.

I am aware that lifting heavy is not beneficial for a wide variety of reasons; my caloric intake is close to 2500 - 3000/day, excluding what I do ingest with my protein supplements, two shakes (powder + milk) and a bar.

Not quite. Heavy lifting has many benefits however when it comes to YOUR goals, it may not be possible or beneficial.

Lusst I think his new AV is a great improvement over the Boxxy gimmick that he run for at least a couple months.

FL ultimately this is the wrong forum to get a proper response.

I can tell you this. I ran cross country/track for a year in HS freshman year as a 140 lb guy. I sucked horribly, in part because I had no motivation to train. I have since run the mile as a 215-220 lb with much greater success without putting in too much work. Granted this is a relatively short distance as far as long distance goes.

I completely agree that long distance running favors smaller guys in the 130-160 lb weight range and 5'4-5'8 height. This is simply my observations and by no means scientifically proven.

See, I thought it was ideal because I knew that a great deal of the guys in here were very motivated in their routines and some would be in the range I am. In hindsight, you are probably right as I do not believe that most guys would be running half-marathons or marathons if they lay emphasis on body building, power lifting or strength training, as if I have read correctly, most lifters only include a three mile run at most to supplement their workouts two - three times a week. If anyone does have any questions about running, please do not hesitate to contact me, I'll gladly help anyone.

Not quite. Heavy lifting has many benefits however when it comes to YOUR goals, it may not be possible or beneficial.

Lusst I think his new AV is a great improvement over the Boxxy gimmick that he run for at least a couple months.

Now now, no need to go there.

Back