Many sherdoggers fell victim to Dana's hype, again...

How could Barao leapfrog ahead of someone like Jon Jones to "#1 P4P" by beating Faber, someone who he has already beaten?

Many on Sherdog have called this bullshit out before, but it seemed like also there were many on Sherdog who were gullible enough to believe what Dana said... :icon_twis

DW is turned into UFC's biggest clown after that fox deal. Take everything he says with a shipload of salt.... never bought into that hype!

I didn't "fall victim" to the hype. I called it, said that Barao would take TJ lightly and probably lose the first fight. But don't expect that to happen again, because it's not happening, as now Barao will be taking it seriously.

Next time, put your money where your mouth supposedly was my friend.

Until last night, Barao had never struggled with anyone as much as JBJ struggled with Gus.

So, yeah, a reasonable argument can be made that Barao was worthy of consideration as the best P4P fighter, and not just because he beat Faber twice, but because he had not lost in nearly a decade of fighting.

He'd also never fought anywhere near the same level of competition. The best win on his resume was Faber, and his "marquee" victory in their rematch came against a Faber who took the fight on extremely short notice and was injured going into it. For all of the shit that people talk about LHW, Bantamweight is a shallow division that lost half of its top ten contenders to Flyweight.

Then there's the fact that Barao cuts literally twice as much as Jones does after a camp to fight five weight classes lower against much smaller men, yet he never got even fraction of the grief that Jones did for fighting in his natural weight class.

I don't like coming at a guy like this after a loss, but they people who were claiming that Barao was easily the most skilled guy in the sport with the best record before Saturday were off their fucking rocker. Great fighter, but had no business being called p4p #1.

I gave a -100% chance of Dillashaw beating Barao and I never listen to any prefight pressers.

I gave a -100% chance of Dillashaw beating Barao and I never listen to any prefight pressers.

This isn't about whether anybody who's being critical of Barao in this thread thought that Dillashaw could come in and dominate him. I sure as hell didn't.

It's about whether or not the Barao p4p talk was justified leading up to UFC 173.

The way Barao destroyed Faber in the 2nd fight was nothing short of impressive. Just because Barao lost to TJ doesnt mean he was all hype

I don't care what Dana says. I make up my own mind.

Based on what I saw, Renan Barao was a great fighter and at the top of the worthless P4P rankings. He beat everyone put in front of him, and he beat them definitively. The guy hadn't lost for years. What does that tell you?

So Dillashaw deserves a lot of credit for going in there and taking him out in the manner he did.

Dana's a promoter. It's his job to promote fights. But he wasn't going way out of line by calling Barao the best P4P fighter in the sport.
This.

p4p is purely subjective and i was calling Barao the best p4p fighter before Dana ever did. Guess i was wrong

I still think Barao is one of the best P4P. One loss doesn't change that though.

It's best to stay away from Dana's constantly changing mind though.

Dana really needs to hire a couple more guys to deal with the press so that they can each have 5 PR points and rotate media scrums.

Like if Joe Silva or Matt Hughes was promoting Barao as #1 P4P it wouldn't look stupid so long as they were consistent.

Dana flopping around ever month depending on who's fighting looks really fucking stupid.

Its like Brady and Manning, when the debate comes around every year the majority of the people stay with the same criteria (rings, MVPs, whos having a better year) year or year. Some level of consistency makes their other opinions appear to be more genuine.

Barao is a great fighter. But the #1 P4P fighter? By beating Faber?

Is ahead of Jon Jones, while Jones smashed former champions and top contenders such as Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Evans, Belfort, Gustafsson, Teixera?

No offense meant, but anyone who believed Barao is "#1 P4P" ahead of Jon Jones was brainwashed by Dana White.

Which former champions exactly was barao supposed to beat? The one thats been out injured for 2 years?

Barao is a great fighter. But the #1 P4P fighter? By beating Faber?

Is ahead of Jon Jones, while Jones smashed former champions and top contenders such as Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Evans, Belfort, Gustafsson, Teixera?

No offense meant, but anyone who believed Barao is "#1 P4P" ahead of Jon Jones was brainwashed by Dana White.

Which former champions exactly was barao supposed to beat? The one thats been out injured for 2 years? Would you of been more impressed if he'd beasted miguel torres? Jon jones had just possibly lost a fight and barao was destroying everyone, to not have barao above jones would of been wrong.
If cormier beasts jones (which I 100% expect) are you going to say jones shouldnt of been ranked at the top?

Last edited:
P4p is the greatest running joke evr on forums. most people use it to arbitrarily prop up the guys they like anyway.

if p4p was based on skill alone or some "if all things were equal" nonsense barao and aldo would have been on top of everyone's lists before gsp and silva lost. Fact is until jones loses, he is number one and aldo is number two. Barao was number three for me until he lost. p4p has been trolled by dana and the fans fell for it. p4p should be based on accomplishment outside of merits based on weight imo, and thats how most of those lists are put together.

dana tried to get people to buy the ppv by riding the fence for a new guy every ppv. once aldo and jones finally lose its gonna be ronda p4p........book it.

Barao is still great and still had a like a 8-9 year unbeaten streak. TJ just fought a perfect fight.

Which former champions exactly was barao supposed to beat? The one thats been out injured for 2 years?

If there aren't many former champions for Barao to beat, then that's the problem of the division being thin. If the division is thin, then that's further indication that its champ cannot legitimately be called "#1 P4P"... ahead of someone like Jon Jones who have gone through a long list of champions and former champions in a much more competitive LHW division.

Would you of been more impressed if he'd beasted miguel torres?

It's not about whether or not I'd be more impressed. It's about whether or not Barao can justifiably be ahead of someone like Jon Jones in "P4P" discussion.

Beating Miguel Torres won't put Barao ahead in P4P discussion... Not when Jones has beaten Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Evans, Vitor, Sonnen, Gus, Teixeira...

Jon jones had just possibly lost a fight

Jones won. It was a competitive fight, but Jones won.

and barao was destroying everyone, to not have barao above jones would of been wrong.

Jones defended his belt for the 7th consecutive time, against a long list of former champions.

What has Barao done to warrant his being ahead of Jones? Beating Faber and a few other guys?

And quality > quantity. Jones defending his belt 7 times against former champions and top competition is more significant than Barao winning a few dozen fights against unranked opponents.

If cormier beasts jones (which I 100% expect) are you going to say jones shouldnt of been ranked at the top?

If Jones loses to Cormier, which I also think is a possibility, his P4P ranking could drop. However, his current P4P ranking at #1 is justified based on what he HAS DONE.

Barao's "#1 P4P" ranking has never been justified. He can't be ahead of Jones. He can't be ahead of Aldo.

It's pure BS marketing from Dana White.

Last edited:
Barao looked like an exceptional fighter regardless of what Dana was saying. Dillashaw put on one of the more remarkable performances in MMA history, I think.

Back