• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Man explains how quantum computers work / how they exploit parallel universes / will lead to AI

You're in for a rude awakening. This technical system was built for one ultimate purpose. Total control.

No civilization or society has ever praised a system that led to total control by those on the top.
This is textbook fear mongering. AI will likely create a better society than what we have today, in much the same way that the modern world is a product of the industrial revolution. Quantum computing is an essential milestone to achieving strong AI.

You're in for a rude awakening. This technical system was built for one ultimate purpose. Total control.

No civilization or society has ever praised a system that led to total control by those on the top.

Control as we perceive it will be irrelevant the moment we reach singularity as the human condition will fundamentally fail in the new environment surrounding us. We see everything through one big broken lens due to our biology. Technology grows exponentially, which will also include thought in AI. That exponential growth will be used to completely modify biology as needed at an extremely rapid pace. You'll see genetically engineered algae and bacteria used to make composites and energy as well as nuclear fusion becoming a norm for every aspect of life. Medicine won't be needed as nearly all life will no longer be biological. It will still exist in an extremely advanced form but only used for pet projects on species AI want to preserve in their natural state.

All the Sci-Fi movies and books are extremely flawed in their vision of mankind's future because they all believe mankind will be at the center of growth, the focal point of existence. The problem is that our biological capacity will be so useless and fragile in this exponential world that we likely won't exist or will in an extremely changed state, likely just our neural network living in voluntary computer simulations while sentient AI expand across the universe communicating through quantum boundaries. Our literal best hope for man's future is that whomever creates the first sentient AI creates some form of hard coding that implies the machines should preserve life.

And I don't mean any of this in a dystopian way, simply an evolutionary one. Ask yourself, how relevant or important is a horse in your life? It's not, because a cheap and luxurious machine that's more reliable and outperforms it by many hundreds of times now exists for you to use. In another 100 year's we will be the horse, kept around only for entertainment, no longer of functional use.

This is textbook fear mongering. AI will likely create a better society than what we have today, in much the same way that the modern world is a product of the industrial revolution. Quantum computing is an essential milestone to achieving strong AI.
Lol at fear mongering. I can maybe see where you could think this because you don't know me but from my understanding of fear mongering it involves trying to put people in a position to exploit them, whether via monies or relationships. I give all my work away for free and encourage people to walk their own path.

It began with the industrial revolution. It's not over yet. In order to qualify that the industrial revolution was good, you need to first consider the end of it. Meaning, if a computer based system is part of the equation that destroys much of mankind, the computer based system was an ignorant idea.

If the industrial revolution became the platform to eventually offer mankind the ability to build computers, was it a wise idea?

I believe time will demonstrate that answer is no.

Control as we perceive it will be irrelevant the moment we reach singularity as the human condition will fundamentally fail in the new environment surrounding us. We see everything through one big broken lens due to our biology. Technology grows exponentially, which will also include thought in AI. That exponential growth will be used to completely modify biology as needed at an extremely rapid pace. You'll see genetically engineered algae and bacteria used to make composites and energy as well as nuclear fusion becoming a norm for every aspect of life. Medicine won't be needed as nearly all life will no longer be biological. It will still exist in an extremely advanced form but only used for pet projects on species AI want to preserve in their natural state.

All the Sci-Fi movies and books are extremely flawed in their vision of mankind's future because they all believe mankind will be at the center of growth, the focal point of existence. The problem is that our biological capacity will be so useless and fragile in this exponential world that we likely won't exist or will in an extremely changed state, likely just our neural network living in voluntary computer simulations while sentient AI expand across the universe communicating through quantum boundaries. Our literal best hope for man's future is that whomever creates the first sentient AI creates some form of hard coding that implies the machines should preserve life.

And I don't mean any of this in a dystopian way, simply an evolutionary one. Ask yourself, how relevant or important is a horse in your life? It's not, because a cheap and luxurious machine that's more reliable and outperforms it by many hundreds of times now exists for you to use. In another 100 year's we will be the horse, kept around only for entertainment, no longer of functional use.
If you read my first post itt you'd understand I do not believe AI will ever occur. It's a lie. Could AI eventually happen if mankind were given enough time? Perhaps.

But mankind will not be afforded that time. This thing ends long before AI could ever happen. God will make it so.

Lol at fear mongering. I can maybe see where you could think this because you don't know me but from my understanding of fear mongering it involves trying to put people in a position to exploit them, whether via monies or relationships. I give all my work away for free and encourage people to walk their own path.

It began with the industrial revolution. It's not over yet. In order to qualify that the industrial revolution was good, you need to first consider the end of it. Meaning, if a computer based system is part of the equation that destroys much of mankind, the computer based system was an ignorant idea.

If the industrial revolution became the platform to eventually offer mankind the ability to build computers, was it a wise idea?

I believe time will demonstrate that answer is no.
What work is it that you give away for free? Let's start there.

As for fear mongering, I think that people who don't understand the technology are being manipulated by people who claim that it's scary. To what end depends on the person saying said scary things. It could be influence, ego, a desire to spread their own ideology, etc.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment about the advent of computing. We have catalogued the world's information in such a way so as to offer it to virtually anyone, anywhere, at any time. Through shared learning and automation, we have cured diseases, created more supply to keep up with increasing demand in virtually everything, and given voices to the otherwise voiceless. How can you reasonably assert that computing has been a net loss? And what do you propose that the world do about it?

If you read my first post itt you'd understand I do not believe AI will ever occur. It's a lie. Could AI eventually happen if mankind were given enough time? Perhaps.

But mankind will not be afforded that time. This thing ends long before AI could ever happen. God will make it so.
We already have quasi-strong AI. IBM's Watson is a great example. Watson actually did my taxes this year, and it is being used for many helpful functions around the world.

We already have quasi-strong AI. IBM's Watson is a great example. Watson actually did my taxes this year, and it is being used for many helpful functions around the world.
A brilliantly programmed computer is not AI.

A brilliantly programmed computer is not AI.
Anyone in computer science will tell you that Watson is a form of AI. It is not sentient, but it is not the calculator that you and I are typing on either. In fact, Google searches are implementing weak AI. The algorithm learns as you enter each additional character, trying to probabilistically guess what you are seeking to search for. Machine learning is, by definition, a form of artificial intelligence.

With that established, are you suggesting that AI will never become sentient? Is that the root (pun intended) of your claim?

What work is it that you give away for free? Let's start there.

As for fear mongering, I think that people who don't understand the technology are being manipulated by people who claim that it's scary. To what end depends on the person saying said scary things. It could be influence, ego, a desire to spread their own ideology, etc.

And I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment about the advent of computing. We have catalogued the world's information in such a way so as to offer it to virtually anyone, anywhere, at any time. Through shared learning and automation, we have cured diseases, created more supply to keep up with increasing demand in virtually everything, and given voices to the otherwise voiceless. How can you reasonably assert that computing has been a net loss? And what do you propose that the world do about it?
The work I do is free on YouTube and on my website (Five books and many videos) but I don't offer it because I want to remain anonymous on here. But I answer all valid questions asked on here.

I also don't tell the truth (as I see it) as spreading fear. I am warning people of the truths I have understood as I have interpreted the Bible for this end times. I also understand computers and many of the top guys have warned that AI might be "summoning the demon." Elon Musk said this. Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners_Lee have suggested such.

Also, although I agree with you that the Industrial Revolution has done much good, if in the end it is part of the platform that rewinds us 2000 years how logical or good was it?

Anyone in computer science will tell you that Watson is a form of AI. It is not sentient, but it is not the calculator that you and I are typing on either. In fact, Google searches are implementing weak AI. The algorithm learns as you enter each additional character, trying to probabilistically guess what you are seeking to search for. Machine learning is, by definition, a form of artificial intelligence.

With that established, are you suggesting that AI will never become sentient? Is that the root (pun intended) of your claim?
Yea but the machine learning is still an advanced form of programming. It is not singular. There is a huge jump between machines learning and machines knowing and being aware of their existence.

When Greene, et al, mention parallel universes, that's really what they're talking about. Nothing dumbed down.
Interesting. I don't have any sort of response because that's way too weird for me, but I had assumed they had a different idea that they were presenting in a way that would excite people.

Interesting. I don't have any sort of response because that's way too weird for me, but I had assumed they had a different idea that they were presenting in a way that would excite people.

Nope... I wrote a post trying to explain it a few posts ago.

The work I do is free on YouTube and on my website (Five books and many videos) but I don't offer it because I want to remain anonymous on here. But I answer all valid questions asked on here.

I also don't tell the truth (as I see it) as spreading fear. I am warning people of the truths I have understand as I have interpreted the Bible for this end times. I also understand computers and many of the top guys have warned that AI might be "summoning the demon." Elon Musk said this. Stephen Hawking and Tim Berners_Lee have suggested such.

Also, although I agree with you that the Industrial Revolution has done much good, if in the end it is part of the platform that rewinds us 2000 years how logical or good was it?
You still don't address what your work is. What field is your work? That is a valid question, and by your own assertion, you answer all valid questions.

I am familiar with their work. I understand their concerns, and I weigh them into my own analysis of the problem. I think the probability of good outweighs the bad, so we should move forward cautiously, building controls as we go. That seems logical. For what it is worth, personal interpretations of Biblical predictions about the end of times hardly seems relevant to this discussion. You don't get to decide the ultimate fate of humanity. Whatever God has planned will happen, right? Or you do you and your beliefs control the fate of humanity?

Why do you think that it will rewind us 2,000 years?

Yea but the machine learning is still an advanced form of programming. It is not singular. There is a huge jump between machines learning and machines knowing and being aware of their existence.
This is called sentience. So you don't think AI will become sentient?

Yes, AI is an advanced form of programming. It is the analysis of all possible options at a high rate of speed (aided by large processing power from quantum computing), determining futures in the same way that a human would. AI is a computer performing analysis.

It's pretty cool stuff. Quantum theory is really interesting. The necessity of an observer (some physicists actually say that quantum mechanics proves the existence of a god) means that the absence of one suggests that all movement and positioning occurs in multiple states. If there is no god, then an infinite number of alternate actions may have taken place, necessitating many (possibly infinite) alternative universes.

This is called sentience. So you don't think AI will become sentient?

AI is a computer performing analysis.

The same way a brain does, except AI can be given sensory and processing capacities far beyond human capability, eventually many thousands of times beyond our ability.

The same way a brain does, except AI can be given sensory and processing capacities far beyond human capability, eventually many thousands of times beyond our ability.
This is correct. A strong AI, via the Internet of Things, could theoretically link every digitally controlled sensor in the world if given enough time and network access. That is definitely scary because once it's out of the box, it's not going back in. At the same time, we may have the ability to process all the world's information at an unfathomable rate, determining cures for disease, clean energy solutions, solutions regarding scarcity, etc. It has the potential to solve many of our problems at a faster rate than we can.

Back