Media Magomed Ankalaev nearly retired after Paul Craig loss: ‘You can say I had the worst loss in UFC’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“That loss changed my life,” Ankalaev told UFC Russia. “It was hard for me at first. I didn’t come out in public for a month. My mother lives in Khasavyurt with my brother, I spent a month there. I thought I wouldn’t fight anymore. Then within that month, I realized that it wasn’t because of me. I did everything I could, it was the will of the almighty. It was a relief. I started to understand the situation then I went back to training. I came in the gym and put in work. I left it all in the gym and got my results.

“When you’re undefeated, you always worry about the zero,” he continued. “I’m over that now. I know what it’s like to lose, what it’s like to win. I know how bitter it is to lose. With that knowledge, I give my all in the gym.”

Ankalaev (18-1) has battled through little resistance since his lone setback in the Octagon. Like many of his fellow talented Dagestani fighters, dealing with the pressure of an unbeaten record can be a big mental hurdle to overcome. Ankalev managed to turn his negative into a positive and it’s led him to a chance at becoming Russia’s first 205-pound UFC champion.

“I used to be worried about losing and what people say about me,” Ankalaev said. “That doesn’t happen anymore. You can that I had the worst loss in the UFC. I gave up literally in the final moments of a fight. People were saying good and bad things.

“The way I see it, I don’t do something to benefit someone else,” he concluded. “I do it for myself, my close ones. Those who believe in me. So it’s easy for me.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/12/8/...s-you-can-say-i-had-the-worst-loss-in-ufc-mma

“That loss changed my life,” Ankalaev told UFC Russia. “It was hard for me at first. I didn’t come out in public for a month. My mother lives in Khasavyurt with my brother, I spent a month there. I thought I wouldn’t fight anymore. Then within that month, I realized that it wasn’t because of me. I did everything I could, it was the will of the almighty. It was a relief. I started to understand the situation then I went back to training. I came in the gym and put in work. I left it all in the gym and got my results.

“When you’re undefeated, you always worry about the zero,” he continued. “I’m over that now. I know what it’s like to lose, what it’s like to win. I know how bitter it is to lose. With that knowledge, I give my all in the gym.”

Ankalaev (18-1) has battled through little resistance since his lone setback in the Octagon. Like many of his fellow talented Dagestani fighters, dealing with the pressure of an unbeaten record can be a big mental hurdle to overcome. Ankalev managed to turn his negative into a positive and it’s led him to a chance at becoming Russia’s first 205-pound UFC champion.

“I used to be worried about losing and what people say about me,” Ankalaev said. “That doesn’t happen anymore. You can that I had the worst loss in the UFC. I gave up literally in the final moments of a fight. People were saying good and bad things.

“The way I see it, I don’t do something to benefit someone else,” he concluded. “I do it for myself, my close ones. Those who believe in me. So it’s easy for me.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/12/8/...s-you-can-say-i-had-the-worst-loss-in-ufc-mma
Why is the almighty always interfering with UFC fights? Is he hooked up with James Krause or something?

this is why i have a hard time believing that these guys are the future of MMA. 1 loss and this guy nearly retired. it's not just him either. there's tons of these Eastern Euros who just fall off the face of the earth in the middle of their prime/rise through the rankings. they're good fighters, some even great, but they're flaky as fuck.

You can say a lot of things, doesn't make em true.

He doesn't come close

It's a million times better than Askrens's 5 second loss. Ankalaev basically fought the whole fight and got caught at the end. Surprised he's so hard on himself because of it.

Seems like most fighters have that “I almost quit” story.

It's a million times better than Askrens's 5 second loss. Ankalaev basically fought the whole fight and got caught at the end. Surprised he's so hard on himself because of it.

I think the pressure of maintaining that zero gets to some people. In a way, losing is liberating because you don't have to worry about being undefeated anymore.

I imagine Khabib's cousins must be under a ton of pressure trying to follow in his footsteps. Islam on the other hand is more relaxed because he lost his zero a long time ago.

It was hard for me at first. I didn’t come out in public for a month.

That's brutal.

I've wondered how guys who compete at the highest level can process a loss like that.

Reactions: HHJ
this is why i have a hard time believing that these guys are the future of MMA. 1 loss and this guy nearly retired. it's not just him either. there's tons of these Eastern Euros who just fall off the face of the earth in the middle of their prime/rise through the rankings. they're good fighters, some even great, but they're flaky as fuck.
This made me think of when Machida's dad wanted him to retire after his first loss (to Shogun):

https://middleeasy.com/mma-news/lyoto-machida-s-father-thinks-his-son-should-retire/

Back