Economy ~ Made In America ~ [US Shale Juggernaut Stomping OPEC + MFG's Biggest Annual Job Gain In 20 Years]

Pretty solid acquisition to integrate into their business.

Is it still that damn high up there? I'm not sure tbh, been starting to drop nice and steadily here. Taxes would explain part of it as well as refinery and distribution costs but crude oil still accounts for nearly 70% of the price of gasoline. However, when it drops it does take time (up to several weeks) for that to really show at the pump. The low price is definitely hurting US shale producers, though not nearly as bad as a few years ago because tech innovation has since halved their break-even points.

Well, yeah. I did.

Well, thats the same old line the companies are crying about in Germany as well. However, it has been identified that this has more to do with the same companies not offering a reasonable salary. This will generally, as seen in Germany, lead to policies being drafted that would bring more immigrants into the country and thus create create pressure on the applicants and drive salaries down. In short dont believe this bullshit.

Some other figures from OP Deloitte study.

D3.png

D4.png

D5.png

http://advancedmanufacturing.org/reshoring-initiative-focuses-on-increasing-u-s-manufacturing-by-40/

During opening day of IMTS 2018, Harry Moser, founder and president of the Reshoring Initiative, spoke during a press conference about achieving a 40% increase in U.S. manufacturing without tariffs. Moser, a 50-year manufacturing industry veteran and retired president of GF Machining Solutions, founded the Reshoring Initiative to move lost jobs back to the United States.

Reshoring and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) have added about 500,000 U.S. manufacturing jobs since 2009, 40% of the total manufacturing employment increase.

"Adding another million requires smarter corporate sourcing decisions and skilled workforce training and adding a further three million requires major national action to level the trade playing field,” said Moser.

“Part of the Reshoring Initiative’s mission is to help companies bring back jobs, reduce the playing field tilt for tomorrow, and create motivation for skilled manufacturing careers,” said Moser. “There is also an Import Substitution Program which identifies importers and helps shops and technology suppliers sell and a free Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) software to help companies for sourcing and suppliers for selling parts and equipment.”

The Total Cost of Ownership Estimator uses advanced metrics that allow users to easily determine the total cost of offshoring by accounting for and understanding the relevant offshoring costs, which include inventory carrying costs, shipping expenses, intellectual property risks and more.

Also, earlier this year, the Reshoring Initiative’s Competitiveness Toolkit was launched at the U.S. House of Representatives Manufacturing Caucus Briefing at the DC Congressional Visitors’ Center. The Toolkit provides and quantifies the best tools to eliminate the trade deficit and increase U.S. manufacturing 40% without tariffs.

Not long ago, I was under the illusion that all our stuff are made in China now, and we don't have any choice.

This Christmas, I made a point to make sure all the household items we bought as gifts for friends and families are Made in USA. Especially kitchen items where food safety is paramount.

It's actually nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Hell, even Walmart have plenty of products carrying that "Proudly Made in the USA" label on the shelf.

But, of course.

ExtremeTech: Intel Announces Major Manufacturing Expansion

Intel has been on something of a tear of late. After its Architecture Day earlier this month, where the company debuted its plans for new CPUs, GPUs, 3D interconnects, and overall foundry strategy, it’s now announcing a new set of manufacturing expansions intended to serve growing product markets.

According to Ann B. Kelleher, senior vice president and general manager of manufacturing and operations, Intel will expand its manufacturing capabilities in pursuit of a total addressable market for silicon it estimates at $300B. This shift is being pitched as part of Intel’s transformation from a PC-centric company to a data-centric company. While such terms might seem like little more than marketing, there’s real cash behind the shift. The combined impact of AI, machine learning, IoT, IIoT (industrial Internet of Things), self-driving vehicles, and 5G connectivity make the conventional PC industry look tiny.

In addition to the 14nm capacity shifts the company has already undertaken this year [in the US], Intel will continue its scale-out work at Fab 42 in Arizona in preparation for 7nm production at that facility. It plans to perform future Optane development at its Rio Rancho facility in New Mexico, along with unspecified plans for next-generation memory and storage technologies. While Kelleher doesn’t mention Optane specifically, the Albuquerque Journal reported in September that Intel was hiring for Optane production at the Rio Rancho facility following its split with Micron.

In addition to this, Intel is now in the planning phase of expected expansions in Oregon, Ireland, and Israel, with construction expected to begin in 2019. Expanding its existing fab space could easily be cheaper than planning to build a new facility from scratch; fab plants aren’t cheap to build and they don’t build quickly, either.

Not long ago, I was under the illusion that all our stuff are made in China now, and we don't have any choice.

This Christmas, I made a point to make sure all the household items we bought as gifts for friends and families are Made in USA. Especially kitchen items where food safety is paramount.

It's actually nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Hell, even Walmart have plenty of products carrying that "Proudly Made in the USA" label on the shelf.

It's also very marketable. In fact, Harry Moser of the Reshoring Initiative (mentioned throughout the thread) cites "Made In USA" branding as the fourth highest rated factor companies take into consideration.

Manufacturing is big here in CT. With Lockheed, UTC (Pratt and Whitney mainly) and Electric Boat the Community Colleges have been on board with the whole advancement in manufacturing cert stuff. From CNC machining, repairing CNC machines, SAP certifications etc...
And a lot of it is funded by those companies.
The CC right down the road has a great manufacturing program, mostly funded by Pratt. The big checks they get from Pratt are hung on the fucking wall lol.

Are those all union jobs though?

Some other figures from OP Deloitte study.

D3.png

D4.png

D5.png

this is actually a real problem for places. Skilled people will quit for better money, and paper pushers up the corporate ladder dont want to shell out the cash to get new good ones.

ive threatened to quit 3 times this year to get raises. other people just straight up have quit. if you have those 5 skills, your value is going up fast. alot of places are lagging behind in pay, and it screws them up.

we do still make stuff. our machines are cheaper than chinese workers to operate, alot of places dont want the up front cost for automation, thats why they go chinese.

But, of course.

ExtremeTech: Intel Announces Major Manufacturing Expansion

Intel has been on something of a tear of late. After its Architecture Day earlier this month, where the company debuted its plans for new CPUs, GPUs, 3D interconnects, and overall foundry strategy, it’s now announcing a new set of manufacturing expansions intended to serve growing product markets.

According to Ann B. Kelleher, senior vice president and general manager of manufacturing and operations, Intel will expand its manufacturing capabilities in pursuit of a total addressable market for silicon it estimates at $300B. This shift is being pitched as part of Intel’s transformation from a PC-centric company to a data-centric company. While such terms might seem like little more than marketing, there’s real cash behind the shift. The combined impact of AI, machine learning, IoT, IIoT (industrial Internet of Things), self-driving vehicles, and 5G connectivity make the conventional PC industry look tiny.

In addition to the 14nm capacity shifts the company has already undertaken this year [in the US], Intel will continue its scale-out work at Fab 42 in Arizona in preparation for 7nm production at that facility. It plans to perform future Optane development at its Rio Rancho facility in New Mexico, along with unspecified plans for next-generation memory and storage technologies. While Kelleher doesn’t mention Optane specifically, the Albuquerque Journal reported in September that Intel was hiring for Optane production at the Rio Rancho facility following its split with Micron.

In addition to this, Intel is now in the planning phase of expected expansions in Oregon, Ireland, and Israel, with construction expected to begin in 2019. Expanding its existing fab space could easily be cheaper than planning to build a new facility from scratch; fab plants aren’t cheap to build and they don’t build quickly, either.

I am not American but me my family and some of my friends tries to avoid Chinese made stuff as it is know their product durability is questionable.

And like what that reshoring guy said about the Made in USA label it really do attract people and gives a sense of quality even to non Americans.

Heck I am proud to say that some of my Music equipment is made in the USA and My electric guitar is all Japan but I got pissed of when I found out the case is Made in China.

I am not American but me my family and some of my friends tries to avoid Chinese made stuff as it is know their product durability is questionable.

And like what that reshoring guy said about the Made in USA label it really do attract people and gives a sense of quality even to non Americans.

Heck I am proud to say that some of my Music equipment is made in the USA and My electric guitar is all Japan but I got pissed of when I found out the case is Made in China.

Fuck the CCP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back