Machida has to KO Weidman if he wants to win.

Oh my, there's still people that think Machida point fights. Thinking he's boring is one thing, but calling him a point fighter is pretty much putting a beacon on yourself that says you don't know what you're watching.

Got to be a really lucky punch to win this one. But then Machida is fighting Chris "the luck" weidman.

Machida aint nothing but corn and squash for weidman quote me

When was the last time you saw anybody lose a championsip belt via decision in a close fight? Lyoto knows this himself; he benefitted from it when he got the decision over Rua in their first fight.

I sometimes wonder if Sonnen would have got the nod if he had evaded the triangle from Silva. Only two I can recall offhand were Benson over Edgar and before that Edgar over Penn.

So Lyoto can forget about point fighting strategies. He will more than likely lose the grappling aspect, and even if he outstrikes Weidman, anything that is in the realm of a close fight will go toward Weidman.

So that leaves him knocking Chris out or submitting him.

Given that, I would say being a 2:1 underdog doesn't sound unrealistic.

Thoughts?

Edgar lost it in a close fight.

If Weidman can't execute any TD's beyond R1, I could see Machida dancing around and 10-9'ing him for the rest of the night.
He could KO him if Weidman slows down too much.

You're going to need a strong ground game to deal with Weidman, IMO, and Machida doesn't have it. Weidman is way too aggressive, powerful, and dangerous for Machida to pedal away forever, and the mixed threat of his KO-hands and takedown into brutal GnP is just too much for most people.

He can also run around for a decision.

When was the last time you saw anybody lose a championsip belt via decision in a close fight? Lyoto knows this himself; he benefitted from it when he got the decision over Rua in their first fight.

I sometimes wonder if Sonnen would have got the nod if he had evaded the triangle from Silva. Only two I can recall offhand were Benson over Edgar and before that Edgar over Penn.

So Lyoto can forget about point fighting strategies. He will more than likely lose the grappling aspect, and even if he outstrikes Weidman, anything that is in the realm of a close fight will go toward Weidman.

Thoughts?

Are you dumb? Of course he would have been given the win lol

Machida benefits from his excellent ability to avoid being cut off in the cage. Weidman has to cut him off to even get close enough to deal damage. I don't know if Weidman can get Machida down, but if he can, he may be able to grind out a decision.

Machida doesn't clown around and takes his karate style very seriously. Standing with him may not be the best idea for Weidman.

I think its a decent matchup.

Weidman via TKO/GnP in te second. Machida's bike can't go fast enough to stay out of te mix.

Please explain how you think Weidman will take, complete and hold the takedown against one of best TDD fighters in the UFC. I see Machida's TDD being greater than Chris's TD skills.

Thoughts?

Other way round. Weidman doesn't have the gas tank or speed to decision Machida. Weidman has to finish & finish early if he wants to win.

It's probably true we all saw Page and Davis steal points with wrasslin so Weidman can do the same. The truth is though. weidman ko of machida is more likely due to Chida iffy chin

Machida only out points washed up has beens. New up and commers like Phil davis beat him handily in points. His only option is a flash knock down followed by strikes and an early ref stoppage.

You don't even believe that.

Oh and if Weidman thinks he will be shooting for the TK with impunity he is in a for surprise with Machida. Lyoto excels at punishing people shooting for takedowns....either on the way in you will get punched in the face or you will catch a karate straight kick or knee to the jaw...very dangerous. If you have Lyoto clinched against the cage you might manage a takedown but doing it from a stand up position you are going to get caught and put to sleep by the karate tactician. Anyone who hasn't fought Lyoto is up against a very steep learning curve no matter how many vids of him you watch. His feignts to sucker you in for a counter and his dancing retreats are so fucking hard deal with.

Please explain how you think Weidman will take, complete and hold the takedown against one of best TDD fighters in the UFC. I see Machida's TDD being greater than Chris's TD skills.

Did you not see the Davis fight? Do you think that Davis is that much better at TDs than Weidman?

Are you predicting zero TDs for Weidman?

I think Weidman's reach advantage will play a role in this fight. Most are over looking that factor.

Back