Machida has to KO Weidman if he wants to win.

When was the last time you saw anybody lose a championsip belt via decision in a close fight? Lyoto knows this himself; he benefitted from it when he got the decision over Rua in their first fight.

I sometimes wonder if Sonnen would have got the nod if he had evaded the triangle from Silva (HYPERBOLE!!). Only two I can recall offhand were Benson over Edgar and before that Edgar over Penn.

So Lyoto can forget about point fighting strategies. He will more than likely lose the grappling aspect, and even if he outstrikes Weidman, anything that is in the realm of a close fight will go toward Weidman.

So that leaves him knocking Chris out or submitting him.

Given that, I would say being a 2:1 underdog doesn't sound unrealistic.

Thoughts?

Benson/Edgar 1 was not a close fight. Edgar being given the decision that night would have been the worst judging decision of all time, belt on the line or not.

Styles make fights. Weidman doesn't have outstanding striking. He has outstanding grappling. Even though his striking is very poor in comparison to Anderson, he is able to stay on the feet due to his grappling threat.

Versus Machida he essentially is facing his biggest stylistic nightmare. Weidman's is out of his depth in the stand-up department (vs Machida) & when you add Machida's wrestling defence he will be too much for Chris.

That being said, if Weidman somehow manages to win this bout - I don't think any other MW's can take him out.

Lol "if Weidman somehow wins". As if it's so unfathomable. You're in for one hell of a shocker.

Anyways Anderson Silva is a far greater striker than Machida is and he had nothing for Weidman. "Styles make fights" is a lazy copout, Weidman is simply better than Silva in 2014. And nobody knows how this fight is going to turn out, though the most likely result will be Weidman via stoppage.

Machida is almost 37 years old and has been beaten several times before. Weidman has not, there is no blueprint on how to do it nor has he EVER shown a single weakness in a fight.

It's far past time Weidman starts getting some credit. I can't wait until UFC 175.

Lol "if Weidman somehow wins". As if it's so unfathomable. You're in for one hell of a shocker.

Anyways Anderson Silva is a far greater striker than Machida is and he had nothing for Weidman. "Styles make fights" is a lazy copout, Weidman is simply better than Silva in 2014. And nobody knows how this fight is going to turn out, though the most likely result will be Weidman via stoppage.

Machida is almost 37 years old and has been beaten several times before. Weidman has not, there is no blueprint on how to do it nor has he EVER shown a single weakness in a fight.

It's far past time Weidman starts getting some credit. I can't wait until UFC 175.

Wait, so your saying the guy is lazy for saying "styles make fights" which is true if you actually stop to think for a second, and actaully involes breaking things down, yet you say Silva is a greater striker than Machida, and use the term "simply better", that sounds lazy to me, not what he said. Theres a reason mmath doesn't work, because fighters are not "simply better" in something as diverse as mma. Weidman has shown he can using striking effectively when mixed with the threat of the takedown, but his punching can sometimes look pretty fuckin sloppy if you ask me. and ironically enough the combo that he beat Silva with was the worst combo of the fight. Silva barely even tried to counter Weedman, but if he simply stepped backwards and hit Chris with a straight punch insted of doing the limbo with his feet planted and his chin in the air that fight could have been very different, of course thats speculation but seems likely.

Btw Machida is a different stiker to Silva, saying better sounds simple minded, hes different, and this is a diffrent fight. For the record i think Lyoto is gonna win, but theres no way id ever bet on it, still a winnable fight for Chris, ohwell we get to see soon enough.

He doesn't. There's nothing unrealistic about Machida outpointing Weidman over the course of 5 rounds. He mightn't, but he's certainly capable of that.

The thing is though, that styles do make fights. Machida having a different skill set than Anderson being the point. Machida will not be have to as worried about the threat of the TD as Silva was, due to his superior TDD and ability to avoid being held down. Also, Machida doesn't clown. Which makes it a completely different fight. I would say that simply pointing out that Weidman beat Anderson is the lazy cop-out in these discussions.

machida should land that many strikes to weidman's 2 or three that it should be impossible for him to lose. edit - standing strikes. if he can take machida down he will land strikes

If he throws strikes like that at Machida, he's in for a rude awakening.

Exactly, that gif has nothing to do with the upcoming fight, just makes Anderson look an idiot, glad someone else can clearly see poor techique insted of "omg he ko'd silva he must be the best striker ever" i like you man (no hetro)

.....Machida is one of a kind, he's a unique and calculated fighter. Weidman has the wrestling and standup to go toe to toe. Weidman has more punching power

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-does-your-mind-change-about-machida-2765529/

This thread prompted me to make this, sorry if it's been discussed already. Chris is being hyped because of his victories over Silva. But Machida is not Silva. Taking nothing away from Chris, because he's ridiculously talented, I have to believe Machida is the harder fight for him. Machida may as well be on Silva's level of precision/speed but with better TDD. What Machida was doing already at LHW just half-assing his diet, now he's in optimal form and doing shit even quicker.

Gonna be hard to KO him when he's too busy running, and when he's not running he'll be on his back.

Exactly, that gif has nothing to do with the upcoming fight, just makes Anderson look an idiot, glad someone else can clearly see poor techique insted of "omg he ko'd silva he must be the best striker ever" i like you man (no hetro)

Many here don't seem to care about technique. Rather, they have this rock < paper < scissor mentality where they look at wins/losses as if they are the only relevant factor, disregarding style, technique, and relative attributes. The devil is in the details that lead to those wins/losses--looking at them as just wins/losses doesn't really tell you much of anything.

Many here don't seem to care about technique. Rather, they have this rock < paper < scissor mentality where they look at wins/losses as if they are the only relevant factor, disregarding style, technique, and relative attributes. The devil is in the details that lead to those wins/losses--looking at them as just wins/losses doesn't really tell you much of anything.

Exactly man, the term those people use is "better", so simple minded. MMA is diverse as fuck to just use that word. I dont mind people saying Weidman will win at all, as long as they say Machida can be inconsistant at times, and that Weidman can use the takedown threat to use his striking, or that he can use timing, but alot come across dumb and think Weidman is a better striker (lol)

I can really see this one being a cat and mouse game that most fans will hate and find boring, sort of like Machida vs Hendo (personally liked that fight). I think Weidman will be very careful and he seems to have outstanding defense and distance control.

If I really had to bet, I would say Weidman would win a decision because I think he will win grappling exchanges.

I sort of agree with the OP because it's hard for low volume counter fighters like Machida to win close decisions. Of course, either guy can end the fight at any point, which is why this fight is awesome for me, even if there is a lot of stalling/probing.

Styles make fights. Weidman doesn't have outstanding striking. He has outstanding grappling. Even though his striking is very poor in comparison to Anderson, he is able to stay on the feet due to his grappling threat.

Versus Machida he essentially is facing his biggest stylistic nightmare. Weidman's is out of his depth in the stand-up department (vs Machida) & when you add Machida's wrestling defence he will be too much for Chris.

That being said, if Weidman somehow manages to win this bout - I don't think any other MW's can take him out.

I agree with some of this but Machida's wrestling is not infallible. I think Weidman is outstanding in this area so I wouldn't count on the fact that Machida automatically stops him.

I do agree that Weidman's stand up is not outstanding and Machida is better, but Weidman does have good defense and is very careful. Plus he has a lot of power in his hands. Combine that with his wrestling threat and he can be dangerous on his feet despite being limited.

Machida likes to counter and take advantage of mistakes. I'm just not sure Weidman is going to make those mistakes, not the same way Bader fought him, for example. I see more of a Hendo vs Machida type stand up with Weidman more likely to wrestle then Hendo was.

Who the fuck knows man, this fight should be awesome.

Who the fuck knows man, this fight should be awesome.

As a Machida fan I'm excited for it, but I don't count on it being awesome. I can see Machida waiting, waiting, and waiting for Weidman to engage on the feet, and Weidman holding him down on the ground without being able to capitalize.

Back