• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN'S - THE VILLAGE, revisited

Well, I don't mean crazy powerful, but it seemed to touch on an 18th century sensibility or innate characteristic of a man to be the one leading (at least initially). Her taking charge may have been a result of insecurity due to blindness, or basic personality. But anyway, I just thought it was an interesting moment that touches on something deeper in male/female relationship. Clearly Jaquin's character was quite flustered and the scene was actually rather drawn out to touch on this point.

Well it was definitely a scene in which Ivy was going against the grain of society. And I think that Lucius found it somewhat emasculating and he was frustrated that Ivy kept standing in the way of him taking charge and demonstrating his ability to be a man.

I think you're right about it being part of her basic personality. I don't think it had anything to do with insecurity. Despite her disability, she had always been a bit mischievous and a bit of a tomboy. Fitting into the mold of the traditional soft-spoken girl who curtsied with ribbons in her hair was never her thing. At least that was my take on her character.

Completely agree, one of my favorite M. Night movies. Really never got why so many people hate it. And yes, contrary to popular belief, Lady in the Water was M. Night's first bad movie.

I recently just rewatched this myself..maybe 2-3 months ago. pretty dominate that we both did that

Well it was definitely a scene in which Ivy was going against the grain of society. And I think that Lucius found it somewhat emasculating and he was frustrated that Ivy kept standing in the way of him taking charge and demonstrating his ability to be a man.

I think you're right about it being part of her basic personality. I don't think it had anything to do with insecurity. Despite her disability, she had always been a bit mischievous and a bit of a tomboy. Fitting into the mold of the traditional soft-spoken girl who curtsied with ribbons in her hair was never her thing. At least that was my take on her character.

Well said, I agree.

Completely agree, one of my favorite M. Night movies. Really never got why so many people hate it. And yes, contrary to popular belief, Lady in the Water was M. Night's first bad movie.

Funny, I still didn't mind that movie even though I can understand why most might not like it. I think The Happening was the only miss for me.

I think people were just expecting something.. more.

IDK. But it was a creative work and well done. "Casuals" probably wanted 'real' monsters since they were riding the bandwagon of 6th sense etc

I hated this movie when I first saw it. I think it was the fake monsters part. But after a few years, I watched it again and liked it. Same with unbreakable. Signs is by far my favorite m night movie.

The funny thing about this movie is that in Pennsylvania there are people that live like that.

The amish, and the mennonites. I never understood difference but those two groups live like those people in the movie.

Rewatched this last night shyamalan.

The_Village_cd.jpg

I don't get why every one hates this movie so much. I am literally the only person who likes it. This was M.Night Shyamalan in his prime. (He's back in his prime lately with Split though)

The actress playing the blind girl was fantastic. When she finds luscious on the ground... She was dominant
ivytear.jpg

Phoenix was dominant as well.
still-of-joaquin-phoenix-in-the-village-2004-large-picture.jpg

As well as the guy that played the mentally handicapped guy. He was dominant too.

Also, Jesse Eisenberg was in it and had one line of dialogue lolol
Jesse-Eisenberg-Village.jpg

The girl is Bryce Dallas Howard.

I "revisited" my most hated M. Night movie today.
@shadow_priest_x

Ok you and the thread starter...god dammit, what the FUCK.

I picked this movie to fall asleep to before my evening job and noticed something..i didnt fall asleep! I did however find myself doing other things, only looking up when there were dramatic moments or scare scenes.

Knowing there is not any monster already, i still wanted to see how chilling these moments could be, given excellent direction. They were duds. There was one moment that i really tuned into and that was when Ivy was waiting outside for lucious. He grabs her hand and turns into a slow motion moment. Its nice. Really, it surprised me.

I tuned into the ending and i dont mean the 2nd plot twist, i mean the chase in the woods with Brody. I almost lied to myself when i heard the "monster" making grunts and standing motionless. But in the end, we knew. We sadly knew.

What can I say? This is a nicely crafted, dull looking, slow moving, movie with a delightful soundtrack. Its disappointing, thru n thru. No monsters, yes, but no need to revisit once you're told the story and their whereabouts. Why come back to see this? Horror is removed and you know theyre living in the same time. Acting is good, yea, but so are these actors in other movies.

The lack of colors, tho, just a plot motivator, makes me feel drowsy.

I cant dislike this movie enough. I dont hate it like Hostel, Cabin Fever, or whatever shit Eli Roth puts out. OR ROB ZOMBIE , fucj his halloween movies.. ok (whew!)

Anyway, i enjoyed The Happening more than this. Yes, that silly movie, i enjoyed more (and i just remembered the doctor is the village is the plant expert in the happening). The movie tried something and ran with it. Plus i enjoyed the different ways people died.

Anyway, movie still sucks.

I called the ending before the movie started. I leaned over to my friend and said, "They are in the modern world."

I "revisited" my most hated M. Night movie today.
@shadow_priest_x

Ok you and the thread starter...god dammit, what the FUCK.

I picked this movie to fall asleep to before my evening job and noticed something..i didnt fall asleep! I did however find myself doing other things, only looking up when there were dramatic moments or scare scenes.

Knowing there is not any monster already, i still wanted to see how chilling these moments could be, given excellent direction. They were duds. There was one moment that i really tuned into and that was when Ivy was waiting outside for lucious. He grabs her hand and turns into a slow motion moment. Its nice. Really, it surprised me.

I tuned into the ending and i dont mean the 2nd plot twist, i mean the chase in the woods with Brody. I almost lied to myself when i heard the "monster" making grunts and standing motionless. But in the end, we knew. We sadly knew.

What can I say? This is a nicely crafted, dull looking, slow moving, movie with a delightful soundtrack. Its disappointing, thru n thru. No monsters, yes, but no need to revisit once you're told the story and their whereabouts. Why come back to see this? Horror is removed and you know theyre living in the same time. Acting is good, yea, but so are these actors in other movies.

The lack of colors, tho, just a plot motivator, makes me feel drowsy.

I cant dislike this movie enough. I dont hate it like Hostel, Cabin Fever, or whatever shit Eli Roth puts out. OR ROB ZOMBIE , fucj his halloween movies.. ok (whew!)

Anyway, i enjoyed The Happening more than this. Yes, that silly movie, i enjoyed more (and i just remembered the doctor is the village is the plant expert in the happening). The movie tried something and ran with it. Plus i enjoyed the different ways people died.

Anyway, movie still sucks.

Well all right, I'm glad you at least gave it another look.

Here's what I think the problem is though: You want it to be a horror movie and it's not. The Village is NOT a horror movie! It has horror elements, but the film is not a horror film so to be disappointed because it doesn't deliver on the horror aspects I think is to miss the point of the movie.

My appreciation of the film stems from two things, primarily:

1. I like the idea of a breakaway society that gets away from modernism and chooses to live life as a recreation of 19th century life. I am constantly concerned about the effect of technology on society and think that, at least in some ways, technology is working against us. So the idea of some people going off in pursuit of a simpler, more pure lifestyle in the form of a village in the 19th century is fascinating enough to keep me interested in the movie. You could strip out all the horror stuff and strip out the plot twist--just make the movie, from the beginning, about THAT premise--and I'd be down. So I can watch the film just on that one level and thoroughly enjoy it.

2. The meditation on the nature of innocence. So much of the film is about the nature of innocence: what it is, how it can be lost, and whether or not it can be reclaimed once lost. And I find that to be an interesting philosophical exploration.

So yeah, I think that until you can get away from your expectations regarding The Village working as a horror film, you will not appreciate it.

If you can manage to do that, then you'll find the beautiful film that lies underneath the surface. If you can't, then you won't.

Shimalamadingdong isn't a bad director. He just loves plot twist at the end, way too much. Unbreakable was so predictable that it was impossible for their to be a twist.

Signs was great but the water ending was kind of "WHAT?". They land of a fucking water planet and don't wear suits. I love it in spite of that, though.

The Village was good. I am never bored watching it. I think that is because some of these hard religious sects or cults are much closer to this than we would like to believe. And real present day world does suck shit in a lot of ways. I could believe people wanting to live in a simpler time.

the chaplain at work recommended this to me yesterday. He spoke highly of it

I started watching this the other night but lost interest (I already know the ending.)

I need to give it another shot.

1.Sixth Sense, to me it's the best by far. Terrorfying.
2. Signs--Mel and Joaquin go beast mode acting.
3. Unbreakable--Really cool plot and great acting.
4. The Village--Eerie, well acted, great premise, not perfect but good.
5. The Visit--Fun, spooky
6. Split--Good flick, well acted
7. Lady In The Water--I liked it...I know people thought it silly and unrealistic but it was a fairytale, and an experiment.

That's 3-4 very good ones and very decent ones after that. The Happening was a shit show but could have been good with different leads and a switch from killer plants to chemical warfare.

Obviously The Last Airbender and After Earth were major misses, but no one hits homer us every time.

Back