• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN'S - THE VILLAGE, revisited

J

John Wang

Rewatched this last night shyamalan.

The_Village_cd.jpg

I don't get why every one hates this movie so much. I am literally the only person who likes it. This was M.Night Shyamalan in his prime. (He's back in his prime lately with Split though)

The actress playing the blind girl was fantastic. When she finds luscious on the ground... She was dominant
ivytear.jpg

Phoenix was dominant as well.
still-of-joaquin-phoenix-in-the-village-2004-large-picture.jpg

As well as the guy that played the mentally handicapped guy. He was dominant too.

Also, Jesse Eisenberg was in it and had one line of dialogue lolol
Jesse-Eisenberg-Village.jpg

Great movie. Fantastic score by James Newton Howard. Excellent performances from Bryce, Joaquin & Brody.

People got bitter towards this movie because they kept over-focusing on 'the twist', which is not in any way the point of the movie.

M. Night started sucking after this, but not until after this. It is interesting that perception / the fans actually turned on M. Night first, and then he started sucking afterwards.

Definitely got his mojo back with SPLIT though.

It was alright.

Unbreakable and The Happening are Nights best works.

People got bitter towards this movie because they kept over-focusing on 'the twist', which is not in any way the point of the movie.

I'm guilty of that. It was hard not to. But I couldn't help myself. And it did hurt my viewing experience.

The Village was marketed by Disney as a horror movie with some kind of monster, in a similar manner to his recent effort Split. The actual movie is about isolationism and xenophobia, and how fear can be used to control the masses. I find the film even more relevant nowadays as Trump speaks of building walls.

i didnt enjoy it because they sold it as a monster movie, so the whole movie me and my friends were waiting for the monster to come out, but there was no monster.= massive let down

and then the twist was dumb

I always liked this movie. I consider it one of Shyamalan's best works.

If you're trying to get into Shadow Priest's pants, this is the best way.

I too absolutely fucking hate this movie.

The Village is M. Night's best film and caps off what I call The Big 4 of Night's filmography. It is also, unfortunately, his most misunderstood and underrated film.

The way The Village explores the idea of innocence--both personal and as a society--through a group of adults who choose to separate themselves from the modern world and recreate 19th century America is brilliant.

Roger Deakins' cinematography also cannot be beat.

Back