• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN'S - THE VILLAGE, revisited

Did not care for it....won't be revisiting

Also (and why I opened this thread), I think there's a powerful scene that probably never gets talks about, and its when Jaquin Phoenix' character and his love interest meet on the veranda at night. She pushes the kiss, and he expresses frustration with her not waiting for him to show the initiative when he was ready. To me there is quite a powerful message there. Did that scene stick out to you at all @shadow_priest_x ?

I know the scene but I'm not sure I found it quite as significant as you obviously did.

Tell me more about the powerful message you got from it.

This was the point i realized shamalamamya shot his creative load with the previous movies and would turn out nothing but shit from there on out.

god awful film

Rewatched this last night shyamalan.

The_Village_cd.jpg

I don't get why every one hates this movie so much. I am literally the only person who likes it. This was M.Night Shyamalan in his prime. (He's back in his prime lately with Split though)

The actress playing the blind girl was fantastic. When she finds luscious on the ground... She was dominant
ivytear.jpg

Phoenix was dominant as well.
still-of-joaquin-phoenix-in-the-village-2004-large-picture.jpg

As well as the guy that played the mentally handicapped guy. He was dominant too.

Also, Jesse Eisenberg was in it and had one line of dialogue lolol
Jesse-Eisenberg-Village.jpg
It was my favorite Shyamalan movie. It doesn't get enough praise.

This movie suffers from something that you just cant recover from and that something is unlikeable characters

Signs is probably my favorite M Night movie and a big reason why is cause I like the characters so damn much

I liked the struggle of Mel Gibson and his faith

I loved the dynamic between Mel and his family

For me Village doesn't offer that

The twist at the end of signs actually made the movie even better. Added another layer on top of the entire thing

Great movie. Fantastic score by James Newton Howard. Excellent performances from Bryce, Joaquin & Brody.

People got bitter towards this movie because they kept over-focusing on 'the twist', which is not in any way the point of the movie.

M. Night started sucking after this, but not until after this. It is interesting that perception / the fans actually turned on M. Night first, and then he started sucking afterwards.

Definitely got his mojo back with SPLIT though.

I agree, great score.

I liked the movie. I haven't watched it in along time so I can't comment too much as I'm a bit fuzzy. I don't really remember what the reaction to it was or anything. It's definitely my favorite M. Night movie though.

Yeah I love this movie. I remember my friends being disappointed that a beast didn't come and destroy everyone

I could have swore Shadow Priest X made this same thread like maybe 6 months ago.

watched it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.

I know the scene but I'm not sure I found it quite as significant as you obviously did.

Tell me more about the powerful message you got from it.

Well, I don't mean crazy powerful, but it seemed to touch on an 18th century sensibility or innate characteristic of a man to be the one leading (at least initially). Her taking charge may have been a result of insecurity due to blindness, or basic personality. But anyway, I just thought it was an interesting moment that touches on something deeper in male/female relationship. Clearly Jaquin's character was quite flustered and the scene was actually rather drawn out to touch on this point.

Devil was a good one. Never saw The Visit.

I think The Visit underrated and was actually quite scary, chilling and had a uniqueness to it. Some people didn't like it, but to me if you got it, you got it.

Signs
Unbreakable
Sixth Sense
The Village

Great movie I didn't watch any trailers going into it and didn't know who M.Knight was at the time so it worked out great. I was shocked when I saw so many people hating on it, I think it was marketed poorly.

Great movie I didn't watch any trailers going into it and didn't know who M.Knight was at the time so it worked out great. I was shocked when I saw so many people hating on it, I think it was marketed poorly.

I think that's actually quite telling, a lot of the negative reaction was I think people becoming tired of his style and viewing this as a lesser example of it rather than the film being downright awful, that would come latter...

giphy.gif

Underrated movie. I loved his film. The score and cinematography are haunting and beautiful. The performances are solid. I think the ending is a little heavy handed; they didn't have to explain things so much, but I wasn't disappointed by the "twist" because I never expected this to be a horror film. It's a romantic thriller with some underlying social and political commentary. My kinda film.

Again I think it suffers most up against his previous three films, Signs was perhaps showing a few limitations of his style but still it was excellent cinema for me and the previous two are classics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back