• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN'S - THE VILLAGE, revisited

6th sense has the GOAT movie twist, and some really scary parts, like when the kid wakes up in the middle of the night, oh fuck
I never really cared for it honestly... My two favorite are Unbreakable and Signs...I love Split too

The Village is M. Night's best film

NMkDjJP2ZC29G.gif

Unbreakable
Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village

All solid movies. In that order

The left version of The Village is Captain Fantastic

While I wouldn't call it great or anything, I do think it's a good film.

6th sense has the GOAT movie twist, and some really scary parts, like when the kid wakes up in the middle of the night, oh fuck

Most predictable twist ever.

It was so obvious.....I thought the twist was going to be Bruce Willis was alive.

The Village is M. Night's best film and caps off what I call The Big 4 of Night's filmography. It is also, unfortunately, his most misunderstood and underrated film.

The way The Village explores the idea of innocence--both personal and as a society--through a group of adults who choose to separate themselves from the modern world and recreate 19th century America is brilliant.

Roger Deakins' cinematography also cannot be beat.

It's his worst film. :eek:

Most predictable twist ever.

It was so obvious.....I thought the twist was going to be Bruce Willis was alive.
I must've been the only person who didn't see the twist coming. I liked this movie a lot

I will concede that it may not be his best in terms of pure craftsmanship, but I think it's his most interesting film and it's also the one I enjoy the most.

Signs is a close second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Sixth Sense but the twist doesn't make sense when you think about it. I mean, Bruce Willis never noticed that no one except the kid spoke to him or acted like he was there for all that time? I still like the movie but still.

I will conceded that it may not be his best in terms of pure craftsmanship, but I think it's his most interesting and it's also the one I enjoy the most.

Signs is a close second.

I'm just breaking your balls, I love that it's somebody's favorite of his. It's a beautiful movie.

I like it and its one of the three M. Night Shyalamadingdong films Ive seen, the other two being Signs and Sixth Sense. I found The Village better than Sixth Sense but Signs is my favourite of those three.

Here was my biggest problem with the movie. Very early on the young guy is talking to the council about leaving or something and the way the council acted it was just incredibly obvious that they were the monster. And since it was obvious they were trying to scare people into not leaving, the fact it was modern times was an easy leap. Figuring out a movie in the first 5 minutes makes it lame.

Also no monster means no tension.

Just adults torturing a blind girl.

Last edited:
I liked this movie a lot also, have seen it 4 or 5 times.

In fact, I think the buildup was so effective that even though there was no forest monster (Brodie's character aside), the tension was taut throughout. Comparing the lack of payoff between The Village and The Witch (both were good), I think I prefer The Village's delivery and even payoff more.

Also (and why I opened this thread), I think there's a powerful scene that probably never gets talks about, and its when Jaquin Phoenix' character and his love interest meet on the veranda at night. She pushes the kiss, and he expresses frustration with her not waiting for him to show the initiative when he was ready. To me there is quite a powerful message there. Did that scene stick out to you at all @shadow_priest_x ?

Unbreakable
Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village

All solid movies. In that order

The left version of The Village is Captain Fantastic

I think The Visit and Devil might be my favorite of his, followed by The Village.

i didnt enjoy it because they sold it as a monster movie, so the whole movie me and my friends were waiting for the monster to come out, but there was no monster.= massive let down

and then the twist was dumb

This!!

I say M. Night got his groove back with The Visit. That movie was dope. I watched it home alone at night and it had me creeped out bad.

Great movie. Fantastic score by James Newton Howard. Excellent performances from Bryce, Joaquin & Brody.

People got bitter towards this movie because they kept over-focusing on 'the twist', which is not in any way the point of the movie.

M. Night started sucking after this, but not until after this. It is interesting that perception / the fans actually turned on M. Night first, and then he started sucking afterwards.

Definitely got his mojo back with SPLIT though.

I thought it was a good twist. Watch this and then read when Nietzche claimed "god is dead"

Back