LUKE CUMMOS crazY DIET ?

Great thread but instead of LUKE CUMMOS crazY DIET ? it should be called LUKE CUMMOS fantastic DIET ? and wasnt he eating kelp (which I think is seaweed) at one point .

This isn't "Luke's diet." This is the "optimize your biochemistry and body composition like professional athletes" diet. There's nothing revolutionary in any of this. Top level nutritionists (my major influence being John Berardi) and bodybuilders have known about this stuff for years now.

It's not even a diet so much as it is a restructuring of your nutrient intake and maximizing nutrient partitioning.

With reference to kelp, there are still many "mystical" properties associated with vegetables. This is due primarily to a lack of scientific research. It isn't profitable to research vegetables and the positive benefits associated with them, as it is to try and research chocolate and its properties. There is no "magical" food - garlic, kelp, rice; none of it is more magical than oregano, spinach, or apples.

The diet I have been following pretty closely is this.

7am - 5 boiled eggs and some oatmeal, sometimes a whole weat muffin

9:30am This is the time I usualy work out, so I usualy have a protien shake after workout

12pm- Usualy 6oz of chicken breast or Fish and an apple or banana

3pm - I usualy run or lift weights again so, protien shake after workout

6pm - 6oz of chicken breast or Fish, steamed veggies

8:30pm - only if I need it, but a banana or yogurt

What should I change to adapt to a diet more like the one this thread is discussing? More Fruits and no Eggs?

rendar1970 said:
The diet I have been following pretty closely is this.

9:30am This is the time I usualy work out, so I usualy have a protien shake after workout

What should I change to adapt to a diet more like the one this thread is discussing? More Fruits and no Eggs?
without knowing your height, weight, bodyfat %....I'd say it depends on your goals. i'd eat the eggs, although I don't like hard boiled ones, i prefer a soft scramble with homemade salsa. less heat denatures the proteins less.

I don't see much in the way of oils/EFA's; and too many bananas. a varied diet is key to macronutrients.

do you take vitamins/supplements? they play a part too.

also, don't fear the milk; cottage cheese is good for you.

Where the Hell are your greens? You have only one serving of vegetables up there per day and I'm assuming they're mixed vegetables. Greens son, leafy greens.

plus mc donalds is crap food if you want nutrition lol. Why dont u go to a lypo suction dumpster and get a few sacks of fat, get a straw, and suck on that shit while on the couch watching oprah or w/e :D

Wrassler said:
i'd eat the eggs, although I don't like hard boiled ones, i prefer a soft scramble with homemade salsa. less heat denatures the proteins less.

how bad is it to hard boil, does it make a big difference in the protein? what exactly is "denaturing" of protein?

its a bad idea to have them raw, but how harmful is it really?

King Kabuki, Sorry I forgot to mention, I do also drink "supreme greens". Its a powder you mix into water, delivers over 2lbs of greens per drink supposedly.

jkuhlmann said:
how bad is it to hard boil, does it make a big difference in the protein? what exactly is "denaturing" of protein?

its a bad idea to have them raw, but how harmful is it really?
too high heat denatures proteins, damaging amino acids. I doubt hard-boiling would really do it, but tough/chewy/hard proteins is a sure sign of overcooking/denaturing. The protein chains sort of tangle up.

Salmonella is a concern... but mostly from your cooking surfaces, not the eggs themselves. Chickens have to be sick with salmonella in order to pass the sickness on; which is pretty obvious. Take care of the cooking surfaces, and anything that touches the raw egg, and chances are you'll be ok. Want to be rocky like and drink raw eggs? you are taking a slim chance at getting salmonella. Don't cook your eggs long enough for them to turn brown. brown = denatured.

for red meat, a steak that is as soft as your chin is medium rare, as soft as your nose, medium well, as soft as your forehead, done. the more 'done' the more denatured.

wrassler

"for red meat, a steak that is as soft as your chin is medium rare, as soft as your nose, medium well, as soft as your forehead, done. the more 'done' the more denatured."

Hahahah wow, where did you learn that?

Wrassler said:
too high heat denatures proteins, damaging amino acids. I doubt hard-boiling would really do it, but tough/chewy/hard proteins is a sure sign of overcooking/denaturing. The protein chains sort of tangle up.

Salmonella is a concern... but mostly from your cooking surfaces, not the eggs themselves. Chickens have to be sick with salmonella in order to pass the sickness on; which is pretty obvious. Take care of the cooking surfaces, and anything that touches the raw egg, and chances are you'll be ok. Want to be rocky like and drink raw eggs? you are taking a slim chance at getting salmonella. Don't cook your eggs long enough for them to turn brown. brown = denatured.

for red meat, a steak that is as soft as your chin is medium rare, as soft as your nose, medium well, as soft as your forehead, done. the more 'done' the more denatured.

wrassler

Actually, denaturation isn't always bad. In fact, egg protein is mostly undigestible/unusable by the human body in its raw form. It's better to cook eggs thoroughly.

rendar1970 said:
King Kabuki, Sorry I forgot to mention, I do also drink "supreme greens". Its a powder you mix into water, delivers over 2lbs of greens per drink supposedly.

That ain't a replacement for green leafy vegetables, orange/yellow vegetables, or cruciferous vegetables.

If you're serious about your training, you can't shortcut it.

Madmick said:
Actually, denaturation isn't always bad. In fact, egg protein is mostly undigestible/unusable by the human body in its raw form. It's better to cook eggs thoroughly.

you are partially correct. it's simply a bit "harder" to digest a raw egg. Meaning it stays in your belly longer.

Egg Nutrition Center - www.ENC-online.Org]
Digestibility of egg protein is 97%. This means that 97% of the egg protein is absorbed as amino acids, which are available for new protein synthesis and replacement of lost
protein.

For a set time period, Cooked egg protein is more digestible than raw egg protein (cooked egg protein digestibility=90.9%+/-0.8, raw egg protein digestibility=51.3+/-9.8)

It's still smarter to cook eggs, to kill salmonella. I was referring to overcooking vs. cooking, btw.

wrassler,

btw, I learned that chin/nose/forehead thing from a chef buddy who works at a bbq joint. I'm not sure if he touches his face every time he cooks a steak or not. I order chicken.

Madmick said:

i heard somewhere that egg protein was the easiest to assimilate by the body. not true? where could i find out more?

Wrassler said:
Want to be rocky like and drink raw eggs?

naw, but i eat alot of egg whites and if i wasn't getting as much from them cooked, as i could by eating them raw, i would just eat them raw...

man, the people at work already bust my chops with all the eggs everyday...if i started with the raw ones, i would totally blow their mind.

jkuhlmann said:
i heard somewhere that egg protein was the easiest to assimilate by the body. not true? where could i find out more?

naw, but i eat alot of egg whites and if i wasn't getting as much from them cooked, as i could by eating them raw, i would just eat them raw...

man, the people at work already bust my chops with all the eggs everyday...if i started with the raw ones, i would totally blow their mind.

um. scroll up. alternatively, http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showpost.php?p=7488715&postcount=54

thank you.

wrassler.

I'm pretty sure I've read that although the body may successfully unwind some of the protein chains over a longer course of time, it will not as efficiently achieve this if the egg is cooked beforehand (thus meaning, it's more digestible regardless of the digestion window).

I've also seen it written that raw eggs have been "wrongly villainized" the last decade and are actually much safer and more digestible in raw form, but I tend to believe the former.

Madmick said:
I'm pretty sure I've read that although the body may successfully unwind some of the protein chains over a longer course of time, it will not as efficiently achieve this if the egg is cooked beforehand (thus meaning, it's more digestible regardless of the digestion window).

I've also seen it written that raw eggs have been "wrongly villainized" the last decade and are actually much safer and more digestible in raw form, but I tend to believe the former.

the egg yoke is the healthiest part of the egg if consumed raw.. for its lecithin and healthy fats.. once cooked, the lecithin oxidizes and the fats turn into unhealthy fats..

and i agree that the egg white needs to be cooked.. why do u want raw egg whites sittin in ur "humid 98 degree" stomach longer than normal? that's just asking for salmonella :D

supersudo said:
the egg yoke is the healthiest part of the egg if consumed raw.. for its lecithin and healthy fats.. once cooked, the lecithin oxidizes and the fats turn into unhealthy fats..

and i agree that the egg white needs to be cooked.. why do u want raw egg whites sittin in ur "humid 98 degree" stomach longer than normal? that's just asking for salmonella :D

Uhh... no they don't. I have no idea where you got your information from. You can't turn egg's fat into mystical unhealthy fat. I've never heard of that in all of my nutrition research.

However, that's beside the point. Egg protein is the best possible protein you can get ahold of. The absorbtion rate is sky high... if you cook it. Uncooked eggs, you absorb, at best, 70% of the protein, versus a near 100% absorbtion if cooked.

Long story short - cook your damn eggs and stop watching Rocky.

so if i softboiled an egg, would that be enough to mess up the lecithin and healthy fat?

Back