LUKE CUMMOS crazY DIET ?

As far as nuts go you gotta stick to raw unroasted and unsalted nuts. When they roast them the good fats burn off and are replaced with bad fats...raw almonds and pistachios are the best,,,,peanuts arent that great, and cashews and macademia nuts are the worst...relatively speaking....you shouldn't eat anything from mcdonalds ever.....

The title of the thread is starting to bother me. Why is Luke's diet so "crazY" ? It may be different than many people eat, but it is far from crazy. It sounds to me like the diet of somebody trying to maximize their bodies full physical potential.

What do you think Luke would have for breakfast on his diet?

Peanuts have the poorest fatty acid profile and are easy to overeat in comparison to real "nuts." That being said, I frequently mix natural peanut butter (where the oil and peanut 'butter' are seperated) with my chocolate whey/casein protein blend for an awesome protein man-slop type concoction.

A few anecdotes.

1. Don't worry about the salt content of your foods. Studies have shown frequent water consumption can expel over 60% of your daily sodium intake.

2. Before even worrying about diet, learn how to drink 1 - 2 gallons of water a day. I have Nalgene bottle I fill up 8 times a day or more. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when properly hydrated. I'd say 80 - 90% of the American population is dehydrated.

3. Front-load your carbs (and calories). Eat more during the first half of your day and less in the second half. One exception - workouts. Eating a lot after workouts when your body is in a catabolic state is very desirable.

4. Your carbohydrate intake should be tailored to your activity level. Unless you're working out 4 hours a day, most people should be eating around 150 - 200g of carbs a day. 80% of these carbs should be from fruit and vegetable and low-GI carb sources (sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, oat bran, legumes)..

5. Protein should be consumed at every meal.

6. Supplement with fish oil! We as a society are horribly lacking in the EFA department.

I'll post more advice as it comes to me :)

OooH! Best Micky D's meal - get over your fear of red meat. Buy 4 or 5 hamburgers no condiments, lots of lettuce + tomato. Get rid of the buns. Eat with a small side of ketchup. That fruit and walnut salad is pathetic.

Here's a perfect, one size fits all breakfast:

1/2 -1 cup dry yield rolled oats (Quaker Oats is fine)
1 piece fruit
1 whole egg
1 cup egg whites
3 fish oil capsules

Oooh! And as far as Cummo's fear of dairy, there's some merit. Some individuals react poorly to milk - I do - but that's not reason to fear all dairy. Milk has a lot of lactose in it, which is the substance we're allergic to. Eggs have a minimal amount of lactose - I think Cummo avoids eggs based more on his personal beliefs, and not on any physiological basis.

sambo fighter said:
Most of the low gi diets still encourage you to eat higher gi fruits also because the vitamins, fiber, and low caloric density make up for the gi.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with fruit. Maybe coconut, but like I said before, all those dudes in the tropics live off tropical oils, and they're ripped. That's a weak crtierion, I know, because they may have all sorts of unique health problems, but at least they don't LOOK unhealthy, and they sure as hell aren't suffering from obesity.

Wait, how do you "suffer" from obesity? Just another linguistic tick that reveals how little responsiblity fat people take for their condition.

Wait, how do you "suffer" from obesity? Just another linguistic tick that reveals how little responsiblity fat people take for their condition.

Hilarious. They kind of do suffer though. In the same way people suffer from depression or suicidal tendencies. Obese people if you think about it endure the slowest, most torturous, spiritually and mentally degrading form of suicide around nowadays.

Peanuts:

Well, a high % of people have an allergy to them and don't know it. (Including me, until recently.)

They are pretty much all have some level rancidity. Kinda gross if you choose to look into it.

(If you are going to eat p-bar, keep it in the fridge.)

zdrax said:
A few anecdotes.

1. Don't worry about the salt content of your foods. Studies have shown frequent water consumption can expel over 60% of your daily sodium intake.

2. Before even worrying about diet, learn how to drink 1 - 2 gallons of water a day. I have Nalgene bottle I fill up 8 times a day or more. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when properly hydrated. I'd say 80 - 90% of the American population is dehydrated.

3. Front-load your carbs (and calories). Eat more during the first half of your day and less in the second half. One exception - workouts. Eating a lot after workouts when your body is in a catabolic state is very desirable.

4. Your carbohydrate intake should be tailored to your activity level. Unless you're working out 4 hours a day, most people should be eating around 150 - 200g of carbs a day. 80% of these carbs should be from fruit and vegetable and low-GI carb sources (sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, oat bran, legumes)..

5. Protein should be consumed at every meal.

6. Supplement with fish oil! We as a society are horribly lacking in the EFA department.

I'll post more advice as it comes to me :)

I'm with you on everything but #4. I just believe in a higher-carb diet, especially for athletes, even ones not working out 4 hrs a day.

Brown and Wild rices? I make rice and veggies all the time, throwing chicken into the mix.

Mcdonalds just plain scares me. The fruit salades and yogurts are loaded with sugar and junk bleh. That documentary "Super Size Me" Sealed The Deal :p

I kinda dig Lukes dedication diet with the winning splurge.

Question: What is the problem with large amounts of soy protien?

If I'm not mistaken soy has estrogenic effects. I've read some things that say not enough to necessitate an adverse affect, and some things that say otherwise. Soy is also not a complete protein. To my knowledge you'd have to have a casein, legume, and soy source at the same time to equate to what you can get from meat, or a more complete protein shake.

zdrax said:
It's not crazy, it's intelligent. He avoids high GI carbs and refined sugars. If it comes in a package, he doesn't eat it. He chooses a the most minimally processed food choices as the basis of his diet. Many people eat like he does. I'm surprised more UFC fighters don't have the sort of discipline and strigency with their diet.

Oooh, and avoid sugary condiments. BBQ sauce has the nutritional value of Skittles.

What to eat:
Protein:

* Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Cod
* Eggs
* Chicken breasts
* Cottage cheese
* Milk protien isolates
* Whey-casein blends
* Lean Red Meat

Carbohydrates:

* Vegetables
* Mixed beans
* Low-GI fruits
* Oatmeal/Oat bran
* Mixed-grain bread
* Small amounts of protein-enriched pasta

Fats:

* Flax oil
* EPA/DHA
* Olive oil
* Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
* Fish oil

What not to eat:

Proteins:

* Fatty meats
* Fatty dairy
* Most lunch meat
* Large amounts of milk
* Large amounts of soy

Carbohydrates:

* Regular bread
* Added sugar
* Most cereals
* Soda
* Fruit juice
* Bagels
* Fruit bars
* Candy

Fats:

* Margarine
* Vegetable oil
* Corn oil
* Heated/fried oil

thanks for this info i needed some guideline like this.

King Kabuki said:
If I'm not mistaken soy has estrogenic effects. I've read some things that say not enough to necessitate an adverse affect, and some things that say otherwise. Soy is also not a complete protein. To my knowledge you'd have to have a casein, legume, and soy source at the same time to equate to what you can get from meat, or a more complete protein shake.

There was just a huge discussion on this in the S&P forum in the "Vegan Bodybuilding" thread. Entropy posted enough studies to make my eyes bleed. Turns out I was wrong, many of the reputable studies suggest soy is actually quite harmful for you. Terumo also mentioned this in passing.

This Diet IS pretty amazing.. I've been giving it a try for about 2 weeks now and decided to stick to it.. I have lost 5 pounds in the last 13 days.. this is awesome and I can even have a cheat treat a day and it hasn't hurt the diet one bit. all I have to say is amazing Ieven recomended this to a friend the first time I saw it and to date he has lost 8 pounds.

Back