Looking back on it, could Leon have beat Khamzat?

Is Khamzat the guy who’s beat up two scrubs and somehow managed to pull out of more fights than he’s fought or is he the other one?

The guy who has finished everyone he has fought in devastating fashion, has caucus mountain dog wrestling vs. Leon’s British wrestling, and brutal one shot KO power. Plus everyone who has trained with him in MMA has said he is an absolute monster. That’s the one.

I think you are asking the question the wrong way around.

I think we all want Khazmat to be as good as he seems. We'll see I guess, it's too early to tell.

Is Khazmat that dude who was getting worked in a sparring vid recently by some rando?

Is Khamzat the guy who’s beat up two scrubs and somehow managed to pull out of more fights than he’s fought or is he the other one?
He pulled out of ONE fight for Covid related reasons, when his opponent also did the same a month earlier. So i guess it’s the other one.

With Khamzat back in the states and still adamant on wanting to return this summer against Magny or someone, it had me thinking. After watching Leon’s performance last night, does anyone see him beating Khamzat in their hypothetical matchup that never happened? How would a guy that got dropped by Barberena and and put on queer street by a 2021 Nate Diaz handle something like the heat that Chimaev hit GM3 or Askerov with? How do you think the grappling exchanges would go? Interesting stuff.

Leon’s performance was solid up to the final minute, out pointing and clearly dominating the fight, but if you’re a true WW top contender, you need to be completely destroying a 2021 36 yr old Nate Diaz more than he did. Similar to what Rory or Masvidal did to him. And you can’t be nearly getting put away by him either. That’s 3 straight career LW’s that Leon has out pointed and taken to a decision, despite being a large 170er. Furthermore, the fight last night further strengthened my thoughts that Chimaev would have been a big problem for Leon had the fight happened. And in no way am I trying to dog Leon, I actually think he deserves a title shot. I’m just not overly impressed by his run.
I feel like Khamzat beats Leon Edwards. Here’s why, Edwards is very good but he doesn’t excel anywhere. If he meets an Usman or Khabib type character who are very good in one field they tend to overwhelm him in that area and I feel like Khamzat would overwhelm witbt he wrestling and ground game

The guy who has finished everyone he has fought in devastating fashion, has caucus mountain dog wrestling vs. Leon’s British wrestling, and brutal one shot KO power. Plus everyone who has trained with him in MMA has said he is an absolute monster. That’s the one.
I think you are being emotional, do you have a crush on him?

His is by a wide margin the most undeserved hype train I can ever recall. Let’s be clear about this: I do not have anything against him, he could very well be in the GOAT conversation some day, but Khamzat could go on to be 38-0 with 38 finishes, win every belt in every division and become the best human to ever take up MMA and you would still be ridiculous for jumping on the hype train THIS early. You couldn’t have less reason to believe what you’re saying would apply to any legitimate competition but I can see the dust flying up as you speed away on this hype train.
And who gives a shit what his trainers have said? My mom says I’m handsome but my tinder results beg to differ.

Based on resume or actual skill set match ups? GM3 is be no means a “great win” but he’s a tough veteran MIDDLEWEIGHT who has been in there with top 10 guys and arguably beat Kevin Holland a year prior. Khamzat stalked him down like a frightened animal and KO’d him with the first punch he threw. He sent Askerov to the shadow real with a walk off shot in Brave who was a combat sambo world champ and one of the most hyped prospects in in Europe at the time. He absolutely has the ability to hurt Leon on the feet. His grappling and pure physicality is nothing he will have faced before on his run either. This ain’t Gunnar Nelson.
That was no walk off, he did the Dan Henderson diving forearm smash on the poor guy. GREAT KO, though.

With Khamzat back in the states and still adamant on wanting to return this summer against Magny or someone, it had me thinking. After watching Leon’s performance last night, does anyone see him beating Khamzat in their hypothetical matchup that never happened? How would a guy that got dropped by Barberena and and put on queer street by a 2021 Nate Diaz handle something like the heat that Chimaev hit GM3 or Askerov with? How do you think the grappling exchanges would go? Interesting stuff.

Leon’s performance was solid up to the final minute, out pointing and clearly dominating the fight, but if you’re a true WW top contender, you need to be completely destroying a 2021 36 yr old Nate Diaz more than he did. Similar to what Rory or Masvidal did to him. And you can’t be nearly getting put away by him either. That’s 3 straight career LW’s that Leon has out pointed and taken to a decision, despite being a large 170er. Furthermore, the fight last night further strengthened my thoughts that Chimaev would have been a big problem for Leon had the fight happened. And in no way am I trying to dog Leon, I actually think he deserves a title shot. I’m just not overly impressed by his run.

no i think it still would have been a much more difficult test for chimaev, but i still think he would be able to grapplefuck edwards (caucus grappling cannot be compared to anything else). and after seeing nate rocking him i doubt that chimaev would have a low chance of ko'ing him. leon is a higher level striker though and the match would be and still is very interesting.

The "he has only beaten up nobodies" is such a lame excuse. It's like you people don't understand what you're watching.

I think there's a disconnect with people who don't follow team sports, a lot of them don't understand the idea of prospects/guys on the come up and being able to see their skills and realize how they're gonna translate to the big leagues/against elite competition.

Lame excuse or actual valid reason to question his relentless fanboys?

What could you have possibly seen in his fights against jobbers that would tell you
how he's gonna translate to the big leagues/against elite competition? SMH

Here, I'll give you what you came in here for:

CHIMAEV_KHAMZAT_L_07-15.png
G8aa.gif

We have NO IDEA how good Khamzat is relative to top ranked fighters.

Anyone saying otherwise, good or bad, is kidding themselves.

Off the eye test I think Chimaev beats Leon. Just hoping Covid hasnt left any long term damage.

Lame excuse or actual valid reason to question his relentless fanboys?

What could you have possibly seen in his fights against jobbers that would tell you
how he's gonna translate to the big leagues/against elite competition? SMH

Here, I'll give you what you came in here for:

CHIMAEV_KHAMZAT_L_07-15.png
G8aa.gif
Do you watch other sports? Do you know how to tell when a kid at junior level in, let's say hockey, shows talent and projects as a superstar or not? Just because that kid is playing against a lot of other scrubs who will never make it pro doesn't mean he's not showing projectable talent vs these nobodies...

You can Khamzat's skillset.

Did you not see the talent Jon Jones had when he was doing the same? I'm not saying Khamzat is Jon Jones or on that level, it's just an example.

Are you Blind? I literally acknowledged that Gerald isn't elite when it comes to 185.

{<huh}

I only said he wasn't known to be chinny which is true. Learn how to read. Khamzat has shown to have power in the past, and if Nate can rock you, it's not out of this world to think Khamzat would have stiffed him.

So why bring him up when the guy is not a good fighter. Stupid. You would make sense if you talked about Casamat beating a top 10 but he hasnt even beat a top 30 guy yet you bring up this guy? Its laughable dude.

Do you watch other sports? Do you know how to tell when a kid at junior level in, let's say hockey, shows talent and projects as a superstar or not? Just because that kid is playing against a lot of other scrubs who will never make it pro doesn't mean he's not showing projectable talent vs these nobodies...

You can Khamzat's skillset.

Did you not see the talent Jon Jones had when he was doing the same? I'm not saying Khamzat is Jon Jones or on that level, it's just an example.

MMA/fighting is too different from team ball sports to make an analogy about recognizing talent work.

You can look unbeatable and then lose a couple of hockey games, even in a row, no big deal. But take
consecutive MMA losses or a couple of bad knock outs or concussions and things can change really
quick from both a performance and career opportunity aspect. And that can happen at any moment.

The guy has looked good and any good wrestler with good hands is one to watch. But the
relentless, overzealous hyping must just be a bunch of rabid Khabib fans praying for their
next false idol.

And no, nobody knew when Jon Jones fought Bonnar, O'brien and Hammil that they were
watching the future *GOAT of MMA. And those three were killers compared to the baby
lambs they've layed out for Khamzat thus far.

I think Leon takes him out with a headkick. I know I wasn’t in there fighting Nate, but that same headkick that landed on Belal looked open on Nate all day.
I’m not sure what Nate almost finishing him means though, remember Rory vs Nate at 170 back in the day where Nate was mollywhopped and thrown on his head. Has Diaz improved since then or has Welterweight just gotten worse since? To me this fight didn’t make much sense other than to give Leon a win with a name. Colby gets a shot after one fight against Woodley, who is literally now out of the UFC about to box youtubers, what does that mean? YouTube Numa Numa guy vs Ngannou for the Hw title?

MMA/fighting is too different from team ball sports to make an analogy about recognizing talent work.

You can look unbeatable and then lose a couple of hockey games, even in a row, no big deal. But take
consecutive MMA losses or a couple of bad knock outs or concussions and things can change really
quick from both a performance and career opportunity aspect. And that can happen at any moment.

The guy has looked good and any good wrestler with good hands is one to watch. But the
relentless, overzealous hyping must just be a bunch of rabid Khabib fans praying for their
next false idol.

And no, nobody knew when Jon Jones fought Bonnar, O'brien and Hammil that they were
watching the future *GOAT of MMA. And those three were killers compared to the baby
lambs they've layed out for Khamzat thus far.
I'm not talking about teams, I'm talking about individual players/prospects

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back