Looking back on it, could Leon have beat Khamzat?

TripTictonic

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
With Khamzat back in the states and still adamant on wanting to return this summer against Magny or someone, it had me thinking. After watching Leon’s performance last night, does anyone see him beating Khamzat in their hypothetical matchup that never happened? How would a guy that got dropped by Barberena and and put on queer street by a 2021 Nate Diaz handle something like the heat that Chimaev hit GM3 or Askerov with? How do you think the grappling exchanges would go? Interesting stuff.

Leon’s performance was solid up to the final minute, out pointing and clearly dominating the fight, but if you’re a true WW top contender, you need to be completely destroying a 2021 36 yr old Nate Diaz more than he did. Similar to what Rory or Masvidal did to him. And you can’t be nearly getting put away by him either. That’s 3 straight career LW’s that Leon has out pointed and taken to a decision, despite being a large 170er. Furthermore, the fight last night further strengthened my thoughts that Chimaev would have been a big problem for Leon had the fight happened. And in no way am I trying to dog Leon, I actually think he deserves a title shot. I’m just not overly impressed by his run.

Last edited:
Most likely yes, with relative ease.

Khamzat is a rank novice compared to Leon.

So was Nate Diaz at 170 but he still almost cleaned his clock. Khamzat knocked out a legit 185'er who while wasn't particularly ELITE ranking wise, wasn't known to be chinny. Nate Diaz is notoriously pillow fisted and hasn't really rocked anyone that badly since Gray Meynard but he still took Leon's legs from him with a Stockton 209 - 2.

Khamzat has been shown to have legit power.

Last edited:
So was Nate Diaz at 170 but he still almost cleaned his clock. Khamzat knocked out a legit 185'er who while wasn't particularly ELITE ranking wise, wasn't known to be chinny. Nate Diaz is notoriously pillow fisted and hasn't really rocked anyone that badly since Gray Meynard but he still took Leon's legs from him with a Stockton 209 - 2>

Khamzat has been shown to have legit power.
You’ve made up your mind based on Khamzat fighting relatively low level opposition. It is what it is.

Most likely yes, with relative ease.

Khamzat is a rank novice compared to Leon.

Also, Leon is not a large 170er, he is an average sized welterweight.
Based on resume or actual skill set match ups? GM3 is be no means a “great win” but he’s a tough veteran MIDDLEWEIGHT who has been in there with top 10 guys and arguably beat Kevin Holland a year prior. Khamzat stalked him down like a frightened animal and KO’d him with the first punch he threw. He sent Askerov to the shadow real with a walk off shot in Brave who was a combat sambo world champ and one of the most hyped prospects in in Europe at the time. He absolutely has the ability to hurt Leon on the feet. His grappling and pure physicality is nothing he will have faced before on his run either. This ain’t Gunnar Nelson.

Based on resume or actual skill set match ups. GM3 is be no means a “great win” but he’s a tough veteran MIDDLEWEIGHT who has been in there with top 10 guys and arguably beat Kevin Holland a year prior. Khamzat stalked him down like a frightened animal and KO’d him with the first punch he threw. He sent Askerov to the shadow real with a walk off shot in Brave who was a combat sambo world champ and one of the most hyped prospects in in Europe at the time. He absolutely has the ability to hurt Leon on the feet. His grappling and pure physicality is nothing he will have faced before on his run either. This ain’t Gunnar Nelson.
Be good to see him fight someone in the top 15-20 first.
Until then, it’s impossible to say he would beat someone like Leon who has a proven record against some of the best in the division.
You have to accept that they have been fighting at completely different levels, and that Khamzat is a novice compared to Edwards. It’s then up to you whether you want to base your feelings upon that or not.

You’ve made up your mind based on Khamzat fighting relatively low level opposition. It is what it is.

Are you Blind? I literally acknowledged that Gerald isn't elite when it comes to 185.

{<huh}

I only said he wasn't known to be chinny which is true. Learn how to read. Khamzat has shown to have power in the past, and if Nate can rock you, it's not out of this world to think Khamzat would have stiffed him.

Not with those lazy, slow haymakers that leave him completely exposed to a counter. That shit got him in deep, deep trouble. Khamzat hits much harder than Nate and doesn’t lack killer instinct.

I literally acknowledged that Gerald isn't elite when it comes to 185, I only said he wasn't known to be chinny which is true. Learn how to read. Khamzat has shown to have power in the past, and if Nate can rock you, it's not out of this world to think Khamzat would have stiffed him.
Calm down, you overinflated moose knuckle.

Saying Gerald isn’t elite is an understatement.
It took until round five for Nate to even land clean enough to hurt Rocky, so whether or not Khamzat has shown power by your standards, is only relevant if he can land on Leon. And seeing as we have zero proof he can strike proficiently at the top level it’s impossible to say.

Goatmaev could and will beat him and the champ Usman plus Izzy then goes up to LHW and becomes the first triple champ in the UFC

Leon always does just enough to win. He won't chase a finish if he doesn't have to, which is why I think many people calling out for coasting and not finishing diaz. He probably can do alot more but just doesn't want to show it until he gets his title shot. That being said, that mentality wont do you any favors against Khamzat.

Calm down, you overinflated moose knuckle.

<mma4>

Haven't heard that in a while, we're definitely showing our Age with THAT kind of diction haha. Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point, if you don't think Khamzat has more relative power to Nate Diaz I'll leave you to it, all I stated was that Khamzat knocked out a career Middleweight and veteran in the Company while Leon Edwards almost got slept by a career Lightweight and unranked WW who isn't a power puncher, he's a volume puncher, what about this is false to you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back