Looking back on it, could Leon have beat Khamzat?

not completely sold on the khazmat hype, But i totally could see him beating edwards.

<mma4>

Haven't heard that in a while, we're definitely showing our Age with THAT kind of diction haha. Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point, if you don't think Khamzat has more relative power to Nate Diaz I'll leave you to it, all I stated was that Khamzat knocked out a career Middleweight and veteran in the Company while Leon Edwards almost got slept by a career Lightweight and unranked WW who isn't a power puncher, he's a volume puncher, what about this is false to you?
Shows my age as it’s a recent one for me, also shows my immaturity as I can’t stop using it now!

And I’m not saying Diaz is more powerful than anyone, I’m saying that the reason Nate rocked Leon is because he was still there 24 minutes in trying the exact same thing he did from around the two minute mark. At no point did it occur to Nate to try to change it up, that’s just not what teh Diaz does. So it comes down to mindset and accuracy and part of that comes with the experience that Nate has fighting at a higher level than Chimaev has done. That’s where the question marks stand, not whether he is more powerful but whether he can find the mark early when fresh, and if not whether he can go to the well.

There's a reason why they were really pushing Leon Vs Khamzat. They knew it was a great matchup for Khamzat.

Last edited:
Yes Leon beats him every time, Khamzat beat two guys who have horrible TDD and ground game in Rhys McKee and John Phillips and then beat Meerschaert and people were acting like he was champ material.

There's nothing we saw in that fight to doubt Edwards' chances, he got wobbled in the last minute of a 25 minute fight lol I wouldn't write him off yet. Let's see how Chimaev does vs someone like Magny before we favor him over top 5 guys.

Since khamzaz hadn't fought or beaten any real ranked fighters.id say that is impossible to say

These threads are quite pointless because we don't know if Khamzat can beat good opponents or not. He looks very promising, but he needs to fight someone legit before we can draw any conclusions. He's being treated a bit like Edwards - zero great wins (better than Khamzat, though) but is believed to be elite by some. I would love for them to fight, even though Khamzat is a novice my money is on him.

Khamzat has only fought 3 times, he has the physicality to be a very difficult WW to deal with. That being said it's very likely Leon would've just won by decision had they fought earlier this year. Diaz landed that shot in the 5th round, a round that Khamzat hasn't been in yet.

Probably. Leon most likely can't take him down and if he connects its over

Borz is still so untested that it's just guessing at this point.

However, yes I think he would have a very good chance of beating khamzat by boring decision. He's technical, very patient and too experienced to be overwhelmed. I think khamzat is used to everybody wilting under his pressure. Leon would just keep his distance and score safe points.

That said, who knows? Khamzat might be way better than he has had the chance to prove so far.

We have no idea. Outside of training partners, no one knows how he compares to top 10 fighters in these divisions.

No, Khamzat would have dominated him and probably KO’d him early.

I need to see Khamzat go 5 rounds before i can see him landing on Leon. Hell if covid really fucked him he might not be able to.

Probably, he is clearly not KO'ing people but could had been just another UD for him.

Most likely yes, with relative ease.

Khamzat is a rank novice compared to Leon.

Also, Leon is not a large 170er, he is an average sized welterweight.
Lol they are both huge for 170. Usman too. Compare them with the GOAT to understand

No Leon is overrated.

He couldn't beat Nate after a two year layoff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back