Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez possible September 19

1.2 million is not a lot for this level of fight.
That's true but we're in the middle of a pandemic and fighters are having to accept pay cuts (smaller purses) due to not having a live gate or optimistically at best only a small audience. That's why the entire purse is significantly smaller than it otherwise would be. Lomachenko would be making roughly 2½× more than Lopez here, or 2.7× more to be exact. That's expected though given that he's far more established, higher in profile, and has two of the three belts in this unification fight. He's the clear A-side in this.

Last edited:
That's true but we're in the middle of a pandemic and fighters are having to accept pay cuts (smaller purses) due to not having a live gate or optimistically at best only a small audience. That's why the entire purse is significantly smaller than it otherwise would be. Lomachenko would be making roughly 2.5× more than Lopez here, or 2.7× to be exact. That's expected though given that he's far more established, higher in profile, and has two of the three belts in this unification fight. He's the clear A-side in this.
agreed.. cant believe all these fighters nagging about money like it's supposed to fall from the sky. they realize it's there because people pay. jon jones and masvidal are the worst examples of this.

That's true but we're in the middle of a pandemic and fighters are having to accept pay cuts (smaller purses) due to not having a live gate or optimistically at best only a small audience. That's why the entire purse is significantly smaller than it otherwise would be. Lomachenko would be making roughly 2½× more than Lopez here, or 2.7× more to be exact. That's expected though given that he's far more established, higher in profile, and has two of the three belts in this unification fight. He's the clear A-side in this.
eh, we all knew when we saw 1 million as the purse that we wouldn't be seeing this soon.

agreed.. cant believe all these fighters nagging about money like it's supposed to fall from the sky. they realize it's there because people pay. jon jones and masvidal are the worst examples of this.
In Lopez's last fight it's safe to assume that he only got somewhere around $500,000 to fight Commey given that he was the challenger and Commey was the A-side and champion (IBF). For Lopez to fight Lomachenko he would still be getting roughly 2½× as much (over $1.2m) for a fight that Top Rank themselves admitted could be on regular ESPN or ESPN+ rather than exclusively on PPV. That figure still represents a career high payday for Lopez and an enormous opportunity for him to fight Lomachenko even if his purse is smaller than he expected (again, the whole pot is smaller due to the pandemic). Lomachenko himself had to take a pay cut here, according to Mike Coppinger, as his guarantee is a little over $3.25m per fight.
Teofimo Lopez Vs. Richard Commey purses. It hasn't been revealed how much Lopez will make for this fight, but according to The Athletic, Commey's purse will be about $750,000.
Teofimo Lopez Vs. Richard Commey Odds, Purses, Records, Prediction

I can't really blame Lopez for viewing this as a high risk-low reward fight from a financial perspective though. But, I thought he understood that from the very beginning especially after the pandemic hit.

eh, we all knew when we saw 1 million as the purse that we wouldn't be seeing this soon.
The over $1.2 million purse for him, yeah, it's not a whole lot that but that's already been explained several times over. Lomachenko is making less too, he made that concession just to try and make this fight happen. In Lopez's case he's actually making more than twice as much as his largest payday (which was at best $500k in his last fight against Commey).

That's not an optimal purse for Lopez but it's also not terrible. Let's compare Lopez's offered purse here to Ryan Garcia's as they were just directly comparable as mere contenders until Lopez's title win earlier this year. Garcia was only making $250,000 purses before the pandemic hit and he was recently offered a reduced purse mid-pandemic, one-fifth (20%) less, of $200,000 to fight TBD (which he refused).

Lopez has had a single championship fight at this point, he's now the IBF titleholder, so how is a purse a bit over $1.2m to fight Lomachenko, and for his two belts in a three-belt unification, all that low during a time like this? That's still 6× more than Garcia was offered the last time out to fight TBD. The difference between Garcia and Lopez is only a single championship win to claim one of four titles and Garcia's even the much more popular fighter of the two. More importantly, pandemic aside, no new titleholder ever makes millions in their second championship fight anyway.

Lomachenko himself didn't even reach the 7 figure mark until he faced Walters and received exactly that, a $1m purse. By then he was already a two-division titleholder at that point and on the P4P list. He was also fast tracked far more quickly than Lopez by the same promoter and is arguably the greatest Olympic boxer to ever live (Olympic champions start out making more).

Last edited:
The over $1.2 million purse for him, yeah, it's not a whole lot that but that's already been explained several times over. Lomachenko is making less too, he made that concession just to try and make this fight happen. In Lopez's case he's actually making more than twice as much as his largest payday (which was at best $500k in his last fight against Commey).
Put it on PPV then and give these guys what they deserve.

Put it on PPV then and give these guys what they deserve.
I agree, but again, that $1.2m purse for Lopez isn't really out of the ordinary at all. In fact, Lomachenko got an identical $1.2m purse to fight Rigondeaux on ESPN in a high profile event similar in magnitude. That was long before the pandemic too. So, if anything, Lopez would still be making out better than Lomachenko against Rigondeaux. And, unlike the circumstances with Lomachenko-Lopez, Lomachenko & Rigondeaux were both P4Pers and much more established than Lopez is at this point in time. Throw in the pandemic affecting both fighters' pay and Lopez's purse is reasonable under the present circumstances.
For the fight, Lomachenko was guaranteed a purse of $1.2 million whereas Rigondeaux earned a $400,000 purse.
Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux

I guessed correctly in what Lopez's last purse was against Commey which was only $500k as he was the B-side and it was his first championship fight. We need to know what kind of money Lopez was asking for. I'd have guessed Top Rank would've only paid him around a $1.5m purse (without PPV revenue) either way, pandemic or no pandemic, which is only a little less than a $300k difference here. Neither is a PPV fighter.

$1.2 million would be a career-high for Lopez, who is the reigning IBF champion after taking the title away from Richard Commey last December. He received a $500,000 purse for the Commey bout, with his eyes on Lomachenko in 2020.

As such, we are seeing promoters across the boxing world struggling to make massive fights because star boxers are being told they may have to take paycuts, and those boxers are pushing back. Under normal circumstances, Lopez and Lomachenko would each command larger purses, but these are not normal times and the normal sources of income that help make these events either profitable or at least break even are currently shut off.
Report: Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez in jeopardy over money dispute

For context it's Teo's 23rd birthday today

tenor.png

Tryna get that money knowing he’s about to lose smfh.
Yeah basically. For all his baiting and posturing toward Loma he knows he is going to get humiliated by Loma. He should just suck it up like Canelo did when he went up against Floyd. It did him no harm in the long run even if it gave him his first loss.

Last edited:
The pot was a bit over $4.45m with the split being an odd one at 73/27, 73% of it to Lomachenko & 27% to Lopez. That's a pretty small pot but with little to no live gate it's not that small I suppose. This fucking sucks!

That's fucking shite. I thought Lopez would take this fight no matter what, he's only just 23 and this is (was) a career making fight for him, if he beat Loma he'd be set for life. He obviously knows in his heart that he is going to lose which is why he is holding out for more. I think it's short-sighted because even if he loses he can still bounce back, he's young and can just put the result down to inexperience. And I think the split is fair. Loma is a P4P top 3 fighter with 2 belts on offer. The non-financial reward for beating him can't be understated, and if he wins he can cash his own cheques from here on out. So stupid and greedy. Maybe Loma will give up a few percent to make the fight happen. It's obvious who really wants the fight here. Loma is turning into the most ducked fighter in boxing and it fucking sucks.

In hindsight maybe it wasn't a good thing that Loma agreed to the fight terms so quickly. It just shows Lopez that Loma really wants this fight and thus give's Lopez more leverage in negotiations because he knows the other side are chasing a fight with him. Really hope this gets sorted out soon. Loma should offer him an extra 5% then if Lopez rejects it then everyone can see he is ducking him. Loma really needs a fight like this for his legacy. I've seen a lot of posters saying they will move Loma up in their P4P listings if he beats Lopez.

Last edited:
1.2 million seems pretty fair compensation for a young fighter who is almost unknown outside of boxing circles. Oh well, he’s always free to turn the fight down fight somebody easier for a lot less money and a lot less media attention. I think it’s a poor decision because I was favouring him to win, or at least give a good account of himself in defeat. It could have been a springboard to much bigger things.

That's fucking shite. I thought Lopez would take this fight no matter what, he's only just 23 and this is (was) a career making fight for him, if he beat Loma he'd be set for life. He obviously knows in his heart that he is going to lose which is why he is holding out for more. I think it's short-sighted because even if he loses he can still bounce back, he's young and can just put the result down to inexperience. And I think the split is fair. Loma is a P4P top 3 fighter with 2 belts on offer. The non-financial reward for beating him can't be understated, and if he wins he can cash his own cheques from here on out. So stupid and greedy. Maybe Loma will give up a few percent to make the fight happen. It's obvious who really wants the fight here. Loma is turning into the most ducked fighter in boxing and it fucking sucks.

In hindsight maybe it wasn't a good thing that Loma agreed to the fight terms so quickly. It just shows Lopez that Loma really wants this fight and thus give's Lopez more leverage in negotiations because he knows the other side are chasing a fight with him. Really hope this gets sorted out soon. Loma should offer him an extra 5% then if Lopez rejects it then everyone can see he is ducking him. Loma really needs a fight like this for his legacy. I've seen a lot of posters saying they will move Loma up in their P4P listings if he beats Lopez.
Well, like you said, if he loses then he'd be fine provided that he doesn't quit in there. He's young enough to bounce back from it. That and he's expected to lose anyway. He'd still have the best chance of winning due to his strong puncher's chance, more than any other previous opponent of Lomachenko's, combined with his youth, speed, and size. He fought Commey for his IBF title last time out and only made $500k for his purse. I also don't think a $1.2 million purse to fight Lomachenko is that unfair given the times and that Lopez isn't an established fighter in the sport yet. Not when he's only had a single elite level fight at the championship level. As I pointed out yesterday, Rigondeaux fought Lomachenko for a measly $400k purse and Lomachenko was only paid what Lopez is being offered here, $1.2m. And that was with Rigondeaux moving up in weight, being much more established than Lopez, and being the significantly older fighter. If Lopez wins then he gets to call all the shots from here on out and as the A-side.

The real shitty part is that Lomachenko had been in camp now for the last 3 weeks. So I'm not surprised he signed immediately. The same day the media reported that the two were in negotiations it was confirmed that his side was already finished, that's how quickly he signed the contract. He's offered money to past opponents (Walters for example) but after awhile opponents will come to expect him to just hand them money from his purse to make these fights happen. The report said that the money Lopez was asking for was far more than what he was offered so he'll have to come down either way to salvage the fight. The difference isn't negligible. It's not officially dead yet so we'll have to wait and see over the next couple days.

Well, like you said, if he loses then he'd be fine provided that he doesn't quit in there. He's young enough to bounce back from it. That and he's expected to lose anyway. He'd still have the best chance of winning due to his strong puncher's chance, more than any other previous opponent of Lomachenko's, combined with his youth, speed, and size. He fought Commey for his IBF title last time out and only made $500k for his purse. I also don't think a $1.2 million purse to fight Lomachenko is that unfair given the times and that Lopez isn't an established fighter in the sport yet. Not when he's only had a single elite level fight at the championship level. As I pointed out yesterday, Rigondeaux fought Lomachenko for a measly $400k purse and Lomachenko was only paid what Lopez is being offered here, $1.2m. And that was with Rigondeaux moving up in weight, being much more established than Lopez, and being the significantly older fighter. If Lopez wins then he gets to call all the shots from here on out and as the A-side.

The real shitty part is that Lomachenko had been in camp now for the last 3 weeks. So I'm not surprised he signed immediately. The same day the media reported that the two were in negotiations it was confirmed that his side was already finished, that's how quickly he signed the contract. He's offered money to past opponents (Walters for example) but after awhile opponents will come to expect him to just hand them money from his purse to make these fights happen. The report said that the money Lopez was asking for was far more than what he was offered so he'll have to come down either way to salvage the fight. The difference isn't negligible. It's not officially dead yet so we'll have to wait and see over the next couple days.

Lopez is just being unrealistic or he is playing games just trying to get more money. As you said if Loma offers him money then all his future opponents will see him as a meal ticket. Loma is a no nonsense guy so he probably signed straight away thinking let's just get on with it but I don't think he thinks of how his opponent will look upon that. It indicated strongly to Lopez that Loma really wants this fight so maybe unwittingly Loma has encouraged Lopez to play hard to get. I really hope things can be worked out. I'd say Loma could move to a 70/30 split and that's being generous. I don't think Loma is a great businessman but he doesn't display that kind of savvy with the way he negotiates. He is too honest really to be great at business.

Lopez is just being unrealistic or he is playing games just trying to get more money. As you said if Loma offers him money then all his future opponents will see him as a meal ticket. Loma is a no nonsense guy so he probably signed straight away thinking let's just get on with it but I don't think he thinks of how his opponent will look upon that. It indicated strongly to Lopez that Loma really wants this fight so maybe unwittingly Loma has encouraged Lopez to play hard to get. I really hope things can be worked out. I'd say Loma could move to a 70/30 split and that's being generous. I don't think Loma is a great businessman but he doesn't display that kind of savvy with the way he negotiates. He is too honest really to be great at business.
Most Eastern Euro fighters like Lomachenko are pretty serious guys. He started camp 3 weeks ago before either of them had even signed the contract to fight. That's serious. I think Lopez realizes that Lomachenko needs him, or a fight of this magnitude, to help cement his legacy. Time is not on Lomachenko's side here and Lopez knows that. He could be working that angle but I'm not going to speculate. What we do know is that he doesn't feel the money is right. Yeah, a 70/30 split is about the best he's going to get and that would still require Lomachenko to give up some money from his purse for it to happen. Top Rank allegedly told Lopez to take it or leave it with that 73/27 purse split. There's not much room if any to play hardball as far as they're concerned.

1.2 million is not a lot for this level of fight.
Neither is $3.25M for Loma. This is a breakout fight for Lopez. Even a loss won't wash him out and if he were to win his next purse would be $3M.

I'm going to be salty as fuck if we don't get this one ASAP. Lopez should take that $1.2M and turn it into stardom. Even a good showing in a loss will have his stock skyrocketing. And again, if he wins it's epic level of superstardom in boxing. Instantly.

Neither is $3.25M for Loma. This is a breakout fight for Lopez. Even a loss won't wash him out and if he were to win his next purse would be $3M.
Meh, if Top Rank can get him better for the biggest fight they can make, then who is Lopez getting 3 mill to fight?

*can't

Loma most likely is able to defeat him with 80/20 chances therefore Lopez.......... and I think he is right not to take fight with Loma now. Better is to fight for lesser purse with opponent that is for him defeatable in this current time. Even for 50k better than >1m for fight with Loma in this year. Smart move.
----
BTW if about combo defense, this Loma had used even in amateurs when he get gold in World Junior amateur championship, not only later in adults.
Now he is older, I think best version was in 2012 th. Ofc with certified ammy gloves and rules, but this does not makes greatness and skills lesser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back