Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez possible September 19

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Shael, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

I think Loma and his pops were probably talking out their ass, out of pride before, but when they sat down to do their due diligence and try to gameplan they saw that they were most likely fucked. The only chance Teo has at this stage is a fast twitch counter punchers chance. He's not a good enough boxer to lead against Loma or impose anything on him. He most likely has realized that he'll likely get worked over and emasculated like Walters and Rigo... hence the cold feet.

I still think he should take the fight though. It's a big payday, low expectations, nothing to lose, everything to gain, and a lot to learn. Getting schooled by Loma doesn't hurt him, unless he's a mental midget. And if he wins, he's one of the handful of biggest draws in combat sports. I'd be really disappointed in him if this fight fell through.

kenji goh likes this.
  2. aries Silver Belt

You mean Teo and his pops? That's how your post reads.... But I totally agree with you, Lopez should take this fight because he'll become a better fighter even after a humbling loss. Just like Canelo did with Mayweather.

kenji goh and Buddy Revell like this.
  3. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Yeah, i flubbed that. Point stands though. Loma is p4p all wrong for anyone in boxing right now. This isn't a knock against Teo, who i think is a super talent, but just the reality.

Loma is a p4p all-time great talent imo. If he retired today, he'd be right alongside Pernell as a top 30-40 All-Time guy. and he has room to grow. Teo is a phenomenal talent, and as a fellow New Yorker, i'm rooting for him, but he's up against it in this matchup. He'd trying to beat the p4p best boxer in the sport at this time. Talk is one thing. Action is another.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    Jonny Ninja likes this.
  4. aries Silver Belt

Yeah I totally agree. Loma is a generational talent, whilst Lopez may go on to prove to be a P4P talent but he's not there yet. If this match goes ahead the gulf in talent will show up in the ring.

Buddy Revell likes this.
  5. WklySportsMemes Brown Belt

Everyone doesn't take losing the same. Some people never recover once they loose their aura of invincibility.
    Losing will mean less money for his next fights
    Losing sets him behind all the other young undefeated superstars around that weight area. Haney, Garcia, Davis, Ortiz, Conlan, Stevenson. It puts his brand and buzz behind all of those guys too.
    I'm not sure how much he is expecting.

6. aries Silver Belt

True, maybe I'm just thinking of Lopez in the same favourable light that I think of Canelo. Maybe I've read him wrong and he is the type to crumble mentally after one defeat against someone who he was expected to lose against. But I don't agree that losing will automatically mean less money going forward. How he loses is a big point. If he get's rolled over and quits before the final round then yeah his stock might not look so good but if he puts on a good performance, maybe even drops Loma once or twice but still loses a close decision then his stock will rise enormously. You've got to remember that Loma is considered to be P4P number 2 in the sport or even P4P number 1 by some. A decent performance by a young gun like Lopez is won't hurt him at all.

7. WklySportsMemes Brown Belt

I hope you're right. IMO hes the most entertaining and exciting out of that young crop.... excluding maybe Davis.

8. Jonny Ninja Black Belt

well said!
    It’s a huge opportunity if he wins. It elevates right to the top of the sport. Career high payday! Personally I see it as a high risk, huge reward!
    He clearly doesn’t think it’s a fight he’ll win!

DaveDave and PHATV like this.
  9. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Here's the latest on this.

Arum: I Won't Lose Money On Loma-Lopez Because Lopez Thinks He's Worth More
    By Keith Idec | Published On Tue Aug 4, 2020, 06:25 PM EST

Bob Arum and Teofimo Lopez have drawn their proverbial lines in the sand.

Their respective stances have placed the unbeaten IBF lightweight champion’s showdown with Vasiliy Lomachenko in jeopardy. They’re tentatively scheduled to fight October 3 in Las Vegas, but Arum disagrees with Lopez and Lopez’s manager, David McWater, on how much money the biggest fight of Lopez’s career should be worth to him.

“We explained to them we have no gate [revenue], no closed-circuit [revenue],” Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday. “I mean, we’re willing to pay him a big price, but again, I’m not going to lose millions of dollars on an event because he thinks he’s worth more.”

The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger reported Thursday that Arum’s Top Rank Inc. has offered Lopez roughly a $1.2 million purse for facing Lomachenko in a lightweight title unification fight. Lopez’s purse, if he accepted that offer, would be worth slightly more than a third of what Lomachenko would be guaranteed for their 12-round, 135-pound title fight.

Ukraine’s Lomachenko (14-1, 10 KOs), a three-division champion and two-time Olympic gold medalist, is a more established fighter than Brooklyn’s Lopez (15-0, 12 KOs) and is commonly considered one of the top three boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport. If their bout were the main event of an ESPN Pay-Per-View show, however, it would mark Lomachenko’s debut as a pay-per-view headliner as well.

“Everybody is trying to do the right thing,” McWater told ESPN.com. “But there doesn’t seem to be enough money for everybody. We were willing to take a hair cut from what was expected before, but not one of the magnitude presented to us.”

The impasse they’ve reached could lead Lopez to pursue an opponent other than Lomachenko for his next bout.

“I think more likely we would take another fight at 135 and revisit [the Lomachenko fight],” McWater said. “To me, a lot of this has to do with ESPN. I mean, if they want the fight, I think they should find a way to make it work for Top Rank. Bob’s right, Top Rank shouldn’t have to lose money on this – but neither should Teofimo. The big winner here would be ESPN. I feel it should be incumbent on them to find a way to make this happen.”

Arum’s company has an exclusive deal to provide content for ESPN.

The 88-year-old promoter told BoxingScene.com last week that it remained possible ESPN would televise Lomachenko-Lopez live on the network. Arum added that ESPN Pay-Per-View and ESPN+, the network’s $5-per-month streaming service, also were potential platforms for that fight.

Lomachenko, 32, and Lopez, 23, were supposed to meet May 30 at Madison Square Garden in New York. Contracts for that bout weren’t finalized before the COVID-19 pandemic brought boxing to a standstill for nearly three months in the middle of March.

10. PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

Gotta say, if Lopez's team can't bite the bullet and make this happen, it looks like a duck to me. Has he ever made anywhere near a $1.2M purse?
    I legit don't know.

Edit to add stupid, I read it above. $500,000 was his highest. Give him 1.5M and let's get this show on the road. 3x your best is solid in this environment. And a huge fight that will propel him win or lose. Obviously he skyrockets with a win.

Not sure who I'm trying to convince, I doubt he's reading my posts. I just really want to see this one ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  11. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

His last purse was his highest at $500k against Commey. His offered purse to fight Loma here is slightly over $1.2 million. That's a career high payday and around 2½× more than he's ever made. So, to answer your question, no he hasn't.

PHATV likes this.
  12. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

@PHATV, it would be interesting to know what the exact figure is that Teo is demanding. Bob has given us a rough idea though with, "I'm not going to lose millions of dollars on an event because he thinks he's worth more."

He must be asking for likely somewhere between 2 & 3 million dollars for that to be the case (though Top Rank was going to take a loss on this anyway unless it's on PPV). Well he's not worth that much currently, not after participating and winning one championship fight. Nobody at that point of their career would be. The rumor is that he wanted a 50/50 split despite being the clear B-side. So, according to Top Rank, he's priced himself out at the eleventh hour. The real question then becomes, was it intentional? If it's not then he doesn't know his actual worth and is just heavily overvaluing himself.

PHATV likes this.
  13. aries Silver Belt

He wanted 50/50???! WTF is this kid smoking. He's pretty much unknown outside of boxing followers, he has one belt and has only beaten one so so opponent. I don't buy that he REALLY wanted 50/50, it's a clear duck imho. If you thought you could beat the aging fighter as you've been claiming for several years then you'd just take his belts and become one of the biggest names in boxing overnight. He knows he's going to lose and is looking for a way out. That's depressing because if true it means this fight is unlikely to happen.

14. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Him wanting 50/50 is the rumor floating around right now. Whether it's true or not we don't know but what we do know is that he's asking for significantly more than he's worth. Bob doesn't seem happy about it as you can tell by the headline of the latest BoxingScene article. Unless Lopez budges on this then Top Rank should officially declare the negotiations dead already. Let Lopez defend his title against someone lesser and get paid a small fraction of what he would've been paid. It's his career.

15. aries Silver Belt

Yeah I agree with what you are saying but as a Loma fan it is disheartening that he can't find decent opponents. Everybody and their fucking dog is ducking him and you can't make a legacy if you can't get the fights. Loma's pro-boxing career is going to end up a lot of what if's. I think he is a victim of his own success. He's made too many fighters look really stupid and now it's coming back to bite him.

16. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

I definitely agree from a business perspective that he shot himself in the foot there particularly with his run at 130 pounds. If you're a slick speedy southpaw you're already at a disadvantage when it comes to getting fights. I think he should just look to fight Berchelt next at 130 for his WBC title. I know he just fought but he didn't take much damage. That fight can be made easily, if Berchelt actually wants it this time, and he's been the top guy in the division for a while.

17. aries Silver Belt

Yeah Berchelt would be a good fight. I'm guessing that Loma wouldn't struggle to make 130lb. He isn't big at 135lb at all. The big question mark would be would Berchelt duck it again.

18. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Loma could effortlessly make 130 in his next fight no problem. He's said as much and plans to move back down there soon anyway. That's his natural weight class nowadays. With a nutritionist he could even probably go back down to 126 but that's always a risk given he's getting up there in age. Donaire moved down fine though recently and so did Rigo and both are even older than he is. On fight night Loma only weighs in the low 140's and that's as a 135'er after putting on a little bit more muscle lately to fill out more for the division. Campbell absolutely looked like his big brother in there the last time out. One of the main angles Loma's opponents even use to convince fans that they'll win is because of the size he's giving up. Linares went with it, Pedraza, and Campbell's team did as well. Even Lopez recently said he's just too small and wouldn't be able to handle his power. Obviously at 130 he won't be giving up this kind of size to opponents.
    [​IMG]

19. Boxiana Purple Belt

Teo needs to take this fight because:

1. I want to see it
    2. Lots of other people do too
    3. He’s got the attributes to make it a contest
    4. His stock will rise win or lose
    5. $1.2 million is a lot of money

20. JayE Red Belt

If he's asking for the same money as Loma, then he's undoubtedly pricing himself out (I'm very skeptical that he is). 1.2 for a guy of Lopez's standing against someone who some claim to be p4p #1 and a half decent draw would definitely be a low amount if we weren't in the middle of covid, but given the fact that there will be no gate or site fee, it might not be unreasonable (hard to know without more information and I'm definitely not just taking Arum's word for it).

On the other hand, Lopez's manager might have a point about ESPN not coughing nearly enough. This is clearly the most interesting fight for Loma so far on ESPN and Loma draws decent ratings for them. Lopez is only 23, so him taking another fight and perhaps waiting until crowds are allowed to return or a PPV might be the smart decision for his camp. Time is on his side, after all.