Lomachenko vs Teofimo Lopez possible September 19

They're trying to get a limited audience from what I understand. Top Rank needs to provide the contracts already. This fight is still unsigned at the moment but both fighters are expecting Top Rank to come through with them either this week or next. The sooner the better because this fight has been rescheduled 3 times now.
Yeah I really hope Top Rank announces this officially with the necessary paperwork.

If this gets pushed back to October it's on Lopez' team. They're obviously trying to get some Loma equivalent sparring (good luck with that) and having difficulties finding it. There's only a handful of fighters in the world who can approximate Loma's skill and athleticism.

While teofimo is just a straightforward catch-and-shoot puncher, counter puncher. Nothing Loma hasn't seen before. I think Teo and his camp are realizing how much of a disadvantage their in and getting anxious. For all the talk on their end they know they've got nothing more than a fast twitch puncher's chance against Loma... and that's it.

Kind of agree. He's the bigger

man and the more explosive athlete. Younger too. Loma is certainly more skilled boxer and will dictate the pace and range of the fight.

In my opinion this is not only the most interesting fight in boxing-- but the most interesting fight in all of combat sports for the next 12-24 months. Youth, Size, Reflexes-- versus, Experience, Skill, Footwork. It's a tough fight to call, but if Loma's able to maintain his focus and not drop his guard he'll beat Teofimo.

But again, as we saw in the Linares fight, Loma can be prone to get lax when he feels like he's got a guy figured out... which could lead to a knockdown... or worse.

Im not sure Teo has reflexes or athleticism on his side, I'd argue Loma is one of the better athletes in boxing. Certainly size and power Teo does have over Loma, along with youth. I get the impression in 5 years Lopez is a guy we will still be talking about.

If this gets pushed back to October it's on Lopez' team. They're obviously trying to get some Loma equivalent sparring (good luck with that) and having difficulties finding it. There's only a handful of fighters in the world who can approximate Loma's skill and athleticism.

While teofimo is just a straightforward catch-and-shoot puncher, counter puncher. Nothing Loma hasn't seen before. I think Teo and his camp are realizing how much of a disadvantage their in and getting anxious. For all the talk on their end they know they've got nothing more than a fast twitch puncher's chance against Loma... and that's it.
Well, they did push it back into October (the 3rd) recently. Unless you meant it being pushed back further into October? Lopez did mention in that recent interview with Mannix that they were having difficulty finding quality sparring due to the pandemic. I remember Campbell using Josh Taylor to try and emulate Lomachenko and while they do have some things in common he's not that strong of a match style-wise and in terms of athleticism.

Im not sure Teo has reflexes or athleticism on his side, I'd argue Loma is one of the better athletes in boxing. Certainly size and power Teo does have over Loma, along with youth. I get the impression in 5 years Lopez is a guy we will still be talking about.
Lopez will have power, probably strength, and possibly hand speed on his side. What he won't have over Lomachenko is the foot speed advantage, overall quickness (reflexes included), agility, stamina, and coordination. I fully expect Lomachenko to be noticeably quicker in there and more agile than Lopez. Quickness and speed aren't the same thing. Judging speed vs speed isn't easy because Lopez has a highly explosive style whereas Lomachenko doesn't, and when Lomachenko does explode, his explosions are always measured/controlled with pacing in mind and respect to his defense.

Lopez will have power, probably strength, and possibly hand speed on his side. What he won't have over Lomachenko is the foot speed advantage, overall quickness (reflexes included), agility, stamina, and coordination. I fully expect Lomachenko to be noticeably quicker in there and more agile than Lopez. Quickness and speed aren't the same thing. Judging speed vs speed isn't easy because Lopez has a highly explosive style whereas Lomachenko doesn't, and when Lomachenko does explode, his explosions are always measured/controlled with pacing in mind and respect to his defense.

I'm not sure about having reflexes or speed over Lomachenko. As a bigger, harder hitting fighter Id agree Teo will be the more explosive hitter.

I'm not sure about having reflexes or speed over Lomachenko. As a bigger, harder hitting fighter Id agree Teo will be the more explosive hitter.
Yeah, I don't think he has the reaction time or reflexes that Lomachenko has. Lopez was hit by Nakatani's right hand a lot in their fight and Nakatani isn't exactly a speedster. Lopez hasn't been in the ring yet with another highly athletic fast twitch fighter so judging his speed accurately would be difficult to do at this point. Where with Lomachenko we've seen him in there with Russell Jr. who still has the fastest hands in the sport, against a still highly athletic (but old) Rigondeaux, and against Linares. Like I said though, it'll be apparent from the first round that Lopez won't be the quicker man of the two. Lomacheko's movement will take away some of Lopez's hand speed as well because he won't be standing in front of him as Commey did when he got floored and ruined.

I agree. Loma is in terms of uniqueness like Pacquaio. It's really hard to find sparring partners who can emulate them (not that they are similar in style). And as you say Teo has quite a traditional easily definable style that Loma has seen many times. Lopez has a punchers chance because he hit's hard, has decent speed/timing and as some would like to point out Linares managed to drop him. Personally I see a fairly comfortable win for Loma, especially since he'll have two good arms instead of the one he had versus Linares.

Teofimo is immensely talented but his corner is his biggest liability in general and in this match in particular.
He is the most skilled and so far more accomplished of his generation and he has an amateur as a trainer while Haney has Mayweather Sr and McCallum as his teachers.
Nakatani tagged him because Teofimo gave him constantly the same look, the same posture.

I agree. Loma is in terms of uniqueness like Pacquaio. It's really hard to find sparring partners who can emulate them (not that they are similar in style). And as you say Teo has quite a traditional easily definable style that Loma has seen many times. Lopez has a punchers chance because he hit's hard, has decent speed/timing and as some would like to point out Linares managed to drop him. Personally I see a fairly comfortable win for Loma, especially since he'll have two good arms instead of the one he had versus Linares.
Probably. Lopez has to be commended for stepping up so early, if it happens. Hope It doesnt backfire like Canelo/Floyd.

I'm wrong as often as I'm right, but I could see this fight playing out like Canelo/Mayweather. In the sense that the young lion gets schooled but takes notes and goes on to a very successful career having both seen and learned a lot in defeat. I just don't think Lopez has seen anything on the level of Loma in the same Canelo/Mayweather sense. Never.

Probably. Lopez has to be commended for stepping up so early, if it happens. Hope It doesnt backfire like Canelo/Floyd.
I didn't read quite far enough before replying, but I think Mayweather was a good fight for Canelo. He learned a lot from that fight.

Still, so stoked for this fight. One of the best you could make right now, IMO.

I'm wrong as often as I'm right, but I could see this fight playing out like Canelo/Mayweather. In the sense that the young lion gets schooled but takes notes and goes on to a very successful career having both seen and learned a lot in defeat. I just don't think Lopez has seen anything on the level of Loma in the same Canelo/Mayweather sense. Never.
It may look like that but Lopez can rebound given how young and talented he is. The main issue I see with the style match-up for Lopez is that he's best on the back foot not on the front foot. I think he needs to be coming forward relentlessly and trying to impose his size on Loma while working the body similar to Salido minus the unnecessary excessive fouling. But in order to do that consistently he'll have to cut him off and Lopez hasn't shown good ring cutting skills given that he's really a back foot counterpuncher with a willingness to mix it up. I broke the fight down a couple months ago and to me it looks like Loma is a tough match-up stylistically for him for a number of reasons. I still have the notes that I took, I can post them.

Good stuff. It's good when two fighters can just agree and give us the fights we want with no drama. Not saying no names but certain HW's should take note.

And yeah it's great if it's going to be on ESPN and not at PPV prices. It will get a big audience for both fighters to showcase their talents.

EDIT: I just read that Lopez still has to agree his side. Let's hope that goes ahead with no hiccups.

This is terrible news and there's a damn paywall up so unless one of us is a subscriber to The Athletic then we can't even read the rest of it at this time. Here's what we can read which was published a few hours ago. Thanks @MMALOPEZ

Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez shaped up as perhaps the most intriguing fight on the fall slate. The potential matchup pitted the man many regard as the best pound-for-pound in all of boxing against a rising star in his first true test. Now, the lightweight title unification fight — Top Rank planned to stage it Oct. 3 in Las Vegas on ESPN — is on the verge of collapsing over financial considerations on the Lopez side, sources tell The Athletic. Earlier this week, Lomachenko accepted a financial package that will pay him in excess of $3.25 million for the clash, per sources, a concession from his contractual guarantee. Lopez, who turned 23 on Thursday, rejected an offer in excess of $1.2 million, per sources. With the proposed bout just over 60 days away and negotiations deadlocked, Lopez is resigned to defend his 135-pound belt against a different opponent, sources said, and was told he would make a fraction of the $1.2 million offer if he...
Sources: Top Rank, Teofimo Lopez far apart on money; Lomachenko bout in jeopardy

The pot was a bit over $4.45m with the split being an odd one at 73/27, 73% of it to Lomachenko & 27% to Lopez. That's a pretty small pot but with little to no live gate it's not that small I suppose. This fucking sucks!

Back