LMFAO @ Pretentious expert Sherbros believing in the myth of Cruz being the evolution striker in MMA

sherdog 101.

You lose = finished.

Only thing missing was TS calling Cruz a hype train.

Oh yeah...the champion who hasn't lost in literal years got totally exposed! He's a completely shit fighter with zero skills.

Dumb.

I've never been a fan of his style, but I respect it. Guy went out there and pranced his way into pretty much legendary status. Great striker? God no. Great defensive fighter and tactician? For sure.

Oh yeah...the champion who hasn't lost in literal years got totally exposed! He's a completely shit fighter with zero skills.

Dumb.

I've never been a fan of his style, but I respect it. Guy went out there and pranced his way into pretty much legendary status. Great striker? God no. Great defensive fighter and tactician? For sure.

This. Let's not forget that he was also fighting a dude whose camp had literally 24 rounds of experience fighting him (11 rounds with Faber, 8 rounds with Benavidez, 5 rounds with TJ although I'll concede that fight as he had dissociated from TAM just prior). My point is that there is no team besides Alliance itself that is more well acquainted with Dom's style. Cody also showed a lot of skills that few would have expected given the relatively short amount of time he's spent in the cage.

As for your assessment, I think you're exactly right. He's a wizard at confusing guys and making them miss but his offensive repertoire is a bit unpolished. He loosely wings a lot of his punches unlike more surgical strikers like Cody, Conor or Anderson. If he can tighten up that aspect of his game, he'll be an even bigger nightmare.

"Cruz is a technical masterpiece, he is the evolution of MMA, if you don't like em, you're not a fan"

This statement is true though, if you don't like him then yeah... You aren't a fan.
The rest of it can fuck off though.

Everyone said that when Conor lost to Nate at UFC 196. Let Cruz have his redemption

Lol, I always thought he looked funny in there with all that hopping. It was only a matter of time someone would catch on to that ridiculous movement. Plus he gives up a lot of power by moving that much, he can't plant and doesn't put his hips or anything into his punches.

Well TS I'm sure if you liked Cruz you would think that he is the evolution of the sport, and anyone who said differently would be an idiot.

i blame joe rogan and the commentary team, don't ever believe their lies

He was the evolution of striker for 10 years until the rest of the division finally evolved to his level.

can't stand sherdog sometimes

every time a good/great fighter loses they were apparently never good, news flash: every sport evolves

anyone who thinks like this is a fool

I always cirticized Dominicks loopy punches.

Ya, but they are a result of the way he pivots and moves. He sacrifices being able to plant his feet and generate power, or even straight punches, and has a more defensive fight style.

You can criticize his offensive striking all you want, but it's all connected - the reason he scores is because guys don't see those wide punches coming given his angles, and that awkward movement is what gives him such great defense...striking consists of both offense AND defense.

His striking defense is what he was praised for, I've never seen anyone say he had great punches. He has good top control, some of the best opportunistic TD's in the game, and good wrestling. Or at least used to.

Remember, he's an OLD 31. A lot of injuries have taken the miles off him.

He'll be champion again before the end of the year.

This. Let's not forget that he was also fighting a dude whose camp had literally 24 rounds of experience fighting him (11 rounds with Faber, 8 rounds with Benavidez, 5 rounds with TJ although I'll concede that fight as he had dissociated from TAM just prior). My point is that there is no team besides Alliance itself that is more well acquainted with Dom's style. Cody also showed a lot of skills that few would have expected given the relatively short amount of time he's spent in the cage.

As for your assessment, I think you're exactly right. He's a wizard at confusing guys and making them miss but his offensive repertoire is a bit unpolished. He loosely wings a lot of his punches unlike more surgical strikers like Cody, Conor or Anderson. If he can tighten up that aspect of his game, he'll be an even bigger nightmare.

What has always annoyed me was how he throws his stuff is that whatever the opposite of "sitting down" on your punches is...that's what Dom's style is. If he "tightens up" his striking, he'll lose his ability to prance around and make guys miss. It's bizarre...because I hate how ugly and inefficient most of his strikes are, but it's the only way he can throw them and preserve his defensive style. So really, it shouldn't surprise or annoy me...but it does.

The dudes combos are terrible. Wide looping telegraphed shots. Cody having a boxing background saw every single shot he threw.
Cody is just a savage and was willing to take punches to land his. That flurry where he first dropped Cruz, he got hit with a few shots and just waited for Cruz to enter back into the pocket and cracked him with one of the most perfect right hands off of a beautiful parry. Look at this shit, this is high level boxing fundamentals.

tumblr_oj28s0o2ip1u2ragso1_500.gif

Cruz is a great striker (MMA striker) , he is difficult to time and he mixes it up a lot.

Cody just fought a perfect fight, leading a counter striker on like that was beautiful gameplanning. Why chase when you can just let them come to you.

Urijah had success in the 2nd Dom fight with this strategy, he let Dom come to him and he landed because of it.

I have no idea why people pretended that his striking was the best in MMA.

We had idiots here believing that his striking was on a whole other level, that it's the evolution of MMA.

Boy were you people wrong.

Finally Cruz fights an average size fighter and he gets exposed.

The mans loopy, weird ass punches are a joke. Anybody with = size destroys him, because his striking isn't technical!!!!!!

Yes, his footwork is awkward, but it's not amazing...When you are the same size, Cruz can't control his range.

I just love it, how we had all these pretentious people saying

"Cruz is a technical masterpiece, he is the evolution of MMA, if you don't like em, you're not a fan"

"Wow he is so smart, just look at his footwork, and his amazing looping punches"

I hope you pretentious fake experts, feels like dumbasses today.

Excellent post.
I always thought so.

I also thought his movement was random and he sometimes walked into punches.
It was meant to confuse, it wasn't really counter striking.

Cody is just a savage and was willing to take punches to land his. That flurry where he first dropped Cruz, he got hit with a few shots and just waited for Cruz to enter back into the pocket and cracked him with one of the most perfect right hands off of a beautiful parry. Look at this shit, this is high level boxing fundamentals.

Cruz is a great striker (MMA striker) , he is difficult to time and he mixes it up a lot.

Cody just fought a perfect fight, leading a counter striker on like that was beautiful gameplanning. Why chase when you can just let them come to you.

Urijah had success in the 2nd Dom fight with this strategy, he let Dom come to him and he landed because of it.

There was a fun thread last summer where we discussed the hypothetical matchup of a movement fighter such as Cruz or TJ vs. an opponent who just stands there.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/muay-thai-vs-neo-footwork.3302535/
Several of us said that forcing Cruz to take the lead and then countering him would be the way to beat him, this was not a particularly popular viewpoint.

The interesting part was that this was just one week after the Holm vs. Shevchenko fight, where instead of chasing after Holly and getting punched in the face or getting stuck on the outside like the rest of her opponents, Valentina made Holly come to her and countered her all night long. It was the exact same principle that Cody used against Cruz, why chase the movement based fighter when you can let him come to you and hit him on the way in and out?

Also, gratuitous clip of Valentina using the same parry to right hook combo against Holm that Cody hit on Cruz.

Ya, but they are a result of the way he pivots and moves. He sacrifices being able to plant his feet and generate power, or even straight punches, and has a more defensive fight style.

You can criticize his offensive striking all you want, but it's all connected - the reason he scores is because guys don't see those wide punches coming given his angles, and that awkward movement is what gives him such great defense...striking consists of both offense AND defense.

His striking defense is what he was praised for, I've never seen anyone say he had great punches. He has good top control, some of the best opportunistic TD's in the game, and good wrestling. Or at least used to.

Remember, he's an OLD 31. A lot of injuries have taken the miles off him.
Yeah he's had injuries but he's one or two fight from the Title shot

Reminds me of when Prince Naseem lost to Barrera. Movement based unorthodox striker met a quick, fundamentally sound counter striker and lost.

Brown belt in five months. Definite expert at rambling shit.

22-2 and yet now he sucks and you knew it all along? Go tongue punch your babysitter's fartbox.... he is lonely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back