Lets talk Frank Shamrock

Frank is one of the p4p best fighters but he's so underrated in sherdog

UFC,WEC,Strikeforce and Pancrase Champion. A true Legend

He accomplished a lot in short spurts but he wasn't dedicated for long periods. I think most will look back and say he could have been a GOAT candidate but I know they will say he was a really well rounded guy with lots of potential to beat many greats if he had stayed the course. I think his life just like a roller coaster from beginning to current played a role is his consistency. As long as you breathe you can change and become better. I think he is at that phase in life of realizing what's more important and that's his family. He lived for his own goal to prove everyone wrong now he is realizing there is more to life than just self accomplishment. I think he is a well rounded very strategic methodical fighter that could win because he was more prepared and studied his opponents not to mention solid all around MMA skillset.

Frank was the archetype for the modern MMArtist. Probably the first elite, well rounded fighter in the sport.

Frank deserves credit for so much, and yet gets little respect from fans and none from the UFC. What other sport pretends like its most important pioneers don't exist?

you are kidding yourself if you think Frank put full effort into beating cung le.

plus he acknowledges the fix with kimbo

So he didnt try to beat Le? Frank stated in the pre fight interviews that he "hasnt taken anyone down since igor zinoviev". Frank prefers to stand and fight knowing full well he can't take Le down.

Do people not know that Le and shamrock are both from san jose and use to be sparring partners. Shamrock has stated himself that he trained with Le for many years and has never gotten him down.

So yeah his only chance was to stand and kickbox with Le.

I feel privileged to have seen Frank fight in real time. Some could argue that Vitor was the first "mixed" martial artist, but Frank was definitely one of the first elite. He was the "new breed".

Frank is, without a doubt, one of the true pioneers of modern MMA.

He and Maurice Smith seriously cross-trained before it was really done, paving the way for today's more well-rounded fighters (not just "Boxing vs. Judo", etc., like early UFCs were).

His landmark wins over Kevin Jackson and Tito Ortiz, in particular, showed how elite cross-training and conditioning could empower fighters to use their diverse skills more effectively in the cage.

It's a shame we never saw him fight Saku when both of them were in their prime...now, THAT would have been a real contest!

So he didnt try to beat Le? Frank stated in the pre fight interviews that he "hasnt taken anyone down since igor zinoviev". Frank prefers to stand and fight knowing full well he can't take Le down.

Do people not know that Le and shamrock are both from san jose and use to be sparring partners. Shamrock has stated himself that he trained with Le for many years and has never gotten him down.

So yeah his only chance was to stand and kickbox with Le.

Franks ACL/NCL injuries hurt his takedowns. I know against Baroni he couldn't get low enough. but I refuse to believe Frank couldn't win that fight. IMO he either:

1. Wanted the fight to be more competitive by standing up with him the entire time

or

2. Fought to entertain the crowd and build strikeforce up, rather than build himself up

or

3. Let Le Win.

Frank was the first hybrid complete mma fighter..pretty much the prototype for modern mma fighters

The documentary was amazing. You can feel the tension when he confronted ken after 15 years. It was real emotion. Frank broke down crying right there. It was touching and very human.

Im glad they are now on good terms. They need to open up a gym together. That could be a factory for new champions. Like the lions den of old. Ken and Frank have a lot to offer in terms of knowledge and training.

Back