Lets talk Frank Shamrock

I was about to say something to the effect that Frank Shamrock is overrated, but then I realized that this entire thread is intended to be a hagiography of The Legend.

I was about to say something to the effect that Frank Shamrock is overrated, but then I realized that this entire thread is intended to be a hagiography of The Legend.

not necessarily. Frank is my 2nd favorite mma fighter of all time. but i acknowledge there are lots of things that take away from his legacy.

why do you feel he was overrated?

Fuck this diminished his legacy in later years shit. Frank Shamrock was the man. His KO slam of Zinoviev was astounding, and he was unbeatable in his prime. I had a man crush on Shamrock before the term "man crush" existed.

The only thing that annoyed me with Frank was that he would talk, for years, about making a comeback, and it was just like fucking do it already.

He did, and had a solid run, but we missed a lot of his prime years.

I wasn't too into the Sakuraba Frank match, but one I did want to really see was Frank vs. Vitor after Frank subbed Tito.

a true legend and all that...

but pound for pound the biggest d... in the sport today.

did anyone see him on the fightmasters program? "I train champions, thats what I do"... by the way frank who exactly did you train? someone in the IFL?

Last edited by a moderator:
*He stirs the pot a lot. stuff with Ken shamrock allegedly cutting himself to avoid fighting kimbo.
-
*the rumors of him offering to fix the fight with Kimbo
-
*Not fighting to his abilities against Cung Le
-
*Knees to Renzos head while on the ground. seemed to be waiting for a standup. i don't buy the fact he forgot the rules.
-
*trying to sell the idea of Cung Le vs Anderson Silva being a potential superfight when the merger took place...

I don't know. I think frank is a legend, i think he was one of the best fighters in mma history, but I do think he has done some stuff to tarnish his legacy.

There was a video floating around youtube around 2006-2007 timeframe when Frank was with Strikeforce. Surprising no one he didn't have exactly have nice comments to make about White and the UFC. In the same video he made a cocky open challenge to fight Liddell, keep in mind this is back when Liddell was still scary and just defeated Vitor and Tito. I cannot find this video anymore, but the way Frank's demeanor and attitude was so cocky back then I lost respect for him.

Liddell was busy being a dominant champ as Frank was coasting in Strikeforce fighting unknown talents. Frank did not want to be in the UFC or PRIDE but that doesn't give him the right to be a wierdo. Which he certainly did on his own on various occassions after leaving UFC's control.

The only thing that annoyed me with Frank was that he would talk, for years, about making a comeback, and it was just like fucking do it already.

He did, and had a solid run, but we missed a lot of his prime years.

I wasn't too into the Sakuraba Frank match, but one I did want to really see was Frank vs. Vitor after Frank subbed Tito.

Frank had a lot of wierd episodes dude, I know what you're saying.

but pound for pound the biggest douche in the sport today.

did anyone see him on the fightmasters program? "I train champions, thats what I do"... by the way frank who exactly did you train? someone in the IFL?

Sounds like vintage Frank Shamrock.

BJ Penn back in the day

Can't blame Frank for trying to promote himself on the Fightermaster show - I thought he was hilarious when he said, "I have ten times the experience of these men. These guys (gestures at Randy and Greg Jackson), I don't know about these guys." F'ing awesome. Also, his gentle yet assertive consolation of his fighters when they lost did nothing to diminish my man crush.

Last edited:
Back in the mid 90's when I had never even seen a UFC fight...I had only heard of 3 fighters.

Frank Shamrock, Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn.

I always wished he hadn't left the sport when he was at his best just to see what crazy things he would've accomplished. When he was on a roll in the late 90s he was outstandingly good.

Well Shamrock was 5-0 in the UFC and finished all his fights against competition that for the early days was pretty darn good. Had a Great Submission Game something that's been missing among top LHW's for quite awhile and good standup in a UFC that was dominated by wrestlers rather than strikers. Had the heart of a champion beating Tito who was a superior fighter who had dominated him for three rounds wearing him down before going on the attack. If Shamrock hadn't retired after that incredible fight he would have probably been champ until he fought either Liddell or Belfort.

*He stirs the pot a lot. stuff with Ken shamrock allegedly cutting himself to avoid fighting kimbo.
-
*the rumors of him offering to fix the fight with Kimbo
-
*Not fighting to his abilities against Cung Le
-
*Knees to Renzos head while on the ground. seemed to be waiting for a standup. i don't buy the fact he forgot the rules.
-
*trying to sell the idea of Cung Le vs Anderson Silva being a potential superfight when the merger took place...

I don't know. I think frank is a legend, i think he was one of the best fighters in mma history, but I do think he has done some stuff to tarnish his legacy.

Ok now tell me what has he done to tarnish his legacy as a fighter like I asked the first time. The fighter not the person. THE FIGHTER.

According to the UFC, Shamrock vs. Ortiz is not good enough to be in the Top 100 voting poll.

One of the best early examples of a true mixed martial artist. I just can't stand hearing him talk.

According to the UFC, Shamrock vs. Ortiz is not good enough to be in the Top 100 voting poll.

Absolutely pales in comparison to instant classics such as Rashad v Salmon.

That's insane. When it happened most agreed it was the best fight of all time and stayed that way until around 2005 or 2006. If that fight doesn't belong n the poll no fight from the 90's belongs on the poll.

shamrock-diaz.jpg

Frank was my favorite fighter when I started watching MMA. It's too bad he went into semi retirement in his prime. He was also really good in the dreamcast UFC game.

I had that game, and year he was badass in it. I think that Frank vs Tito was the first really super fight in the UFC. The HOF has zero credibility to me, I guy that started watching the UFC in the 90's, if it doesn't have the top fighters from that era in it. Back to Frank, he was great in the UFC, I remember hearing that he went to Holland in 99 or 00 to .work on his stand up. The first guy I know of to do it. He was I really start fighter, using great strategy in fights, like pissing Bas off and mailing him throw a closed fist in their fight. I wish we got to see young Frank vs young Belfort, Frank in Strikeforce was not the guy I remembered, he really should have made ready work of Cung Li, and Frank with a mic is a very bad idea.

I literally cringed at the pathetic reaction to Frank's retirement. Found it to be totally disrespectful, almost as if people were totally writing him off. The guy went out on his shield too.

Like many here, I grew up watching all his fights and was convinced in the early days that he was invincible. I also enjoyed the fact that he added tools to his box that no one else at the time had. The reason he submitted Hendo and Kevin Jackson is because he wasn't one dimensional like they were, forcing Dan to eventually progress. I love his infamous quote after beating Henderson, "I love wrestling, but it ain't enough. It ain't enough." Definitely a trailblazer.

I also remember being shocked back in the day that he wasn't related to Ken by blood, because they looked eerily similar (same with Guy Mezger, what the fuck is up with that).

I also remember being shocked back in the day that he wasn't related to Ken by blood, because they looked eerily similar (same with Guy Mezger, what the fuck is up with that).

I was freaked out by that as well.

Back