Opinion Let's take a moment and remember the events of 9-11 - what were you doing when it happened?

^^^

its kind of the equivalent of the US saying this to Canada.

tumblr_pa4rbph8xX1wzvt9qo4_500.gif

tumblr_pa4rbph8xX1wzvt9qo1_500.gif

I was in Physics class. My teacher started crying because her husband was in NY.

Well tbh she had a point. Canada did a pretty crazy thing for the US in taking all those planes in when it was thought at the time that there were potentially dozens of hijacked jets in the air over US airspace when they Air-force was given the order they could shoot to kill.

I don't think for a minute it plays out the same the other way.

Canada : Umm hello, US. Yes thank you for answering. This is Canada here and we just had two jets used as missiles and crashed into out tallest towers. We have about 200 more jets circling that we suspect could also be under terrorist control. Can we send them to land at your airports instead of ours to reduce our risk?

Canada : Hello... hello... is anyone there?

I mean, what logic is there to send them to Canada over sending them to other US States (more rural States) where high value targets would be far and few between?

Of course, I thought it was fucking ludicrous then and still do. The US/Canada defense industrial base is virtually interlinked. The 'rationale' for the steel and aluminum tariffs being placed on virtually everyone was that China utilizes back door transshipments, relabeling and numerous countries as a conduit for product dumping.

However, tariffs are such a blunt, archaic instrument and it's an ineffectual strategy over any real extended period of time. You don't place them on genuine allies for any reason, much less one you share a massive border with. That's horrendous policy and really bad business.

I actually like Freeland a lot.

First year of college, just walked into World History II

I thought this thread was going to be about remembrance and not bashing people, but the TS killed this particular baby in the crib...

I'll see myself out.

I thought this thread was going to be about remembrance and not bashing people, but the TS killed this particular baby in the crib...

I'll see myself out.

You should have lower standards for this place.

(Considerably Lower)

Active duty, calibrating contaminated gages at a shore based facility. Like a lot of others are saying, the first report was kinda blown off as an accident - a small plane that had engine trouble or something. But reports started to contradict that leading up to the second strike when everyone knew it was deliberate. It was horrible when the commentator realized the debris falling from the tower was actually bodies. I felt helpless and then I felt rage. I was in uniform, on a base, surrounded by thousands of others like me, and we couldn't defend our country from what was unfolding.

11th grade as one of a handful of American kids at a Canadian high school having to listen to Canadian kids saying America got what was coming to them.

Was really gross and made me dislike Canadians as a whole for several years afterwards.

In the long run, the war on terror and the rise if mainstream radical Islam seems to have chilled anti American sentiment in Canada over the last two decades, so that's a positive I suppose.

And as far as Ilhan's comments, I think it is clear that in the context of her audience, American Muslims, "some people" was referring to a group of people NOT the Muslims in the room. American Muslims, due to proximity, have probably encountered some undeserved blame for events they had nothing to do with. Not a fan of Omar, but she gets too much flak for that comment.

Was sleeping when my dad phoned me from work told me to turn on TV right now... Some sort of terrible accident or something in NYC. Watched the second plane hit live maybe 5min later... biggest wtf moment of my life.

I remember I was supposed to get up and go straight to training for job at a grocery store and I was like "lol nope fuck that I'm going to smoke weed and watch this crazy shit unfold for the next few days".

11th grade as one of a handful of American kids at a Canadian high school having to listen to Canadian kids saying America got what was coming to them.
Damn, didnt know many canadians felt that way. Not that it matters but, were these mostly white kids? Or other ethnicities?

Damn, didnt know many canadians felt that way. Not that it matters but, were these mostly white kids? Or other ethnicities?

My school was 90+% white.

My English teacher who was a hippy dippy chick cancelled class so we could all sit in a circle and talk about how we felt and these kids were fucking gleeful and me and the other American kid in class just had to sit there in disgust.

When it was my turn to talk I called them out on it and I was a pariah for about the next week. Even my best friend of 7 years (since I had moved to Canada) had zero sympathy for the victims.

In the 90s in Canada, hating America was like a way of life.

It has softened considerably in the last two decades. Honestly, I think that's because a lot of Canadians now feel united with America against our common enemies in ISIS etc.

he is lying. And its not the first time.

That sentiment may have come out in other certain groups in Canada and the US and elsewhere days after, but in the moments of 9/11 no one (outside the most extreme in mid east and a few places) was saying that, right away. everyone was filled with shock and horror at the time and it was after kids were sent home from school the first inklings of who was behind the attack started to dribble out.

At the time WTF would the kids being saying that about as they did not know the cause? No one knew it was OBL and what his 'cause' was about.

I probably have 10 years on Cunningham, but the feeling of "they got what was coming to them" wasn't present in my social circle. That kind of thought would have set me off

I probably have 10 years on Cunningham, but the feeling of "they got what was coming to them" wasn't present in my social circle. That kind of thought would have set me off

You see libs on here saying that to this day...

That sentiment may have come out in other certain groups in Canada and the US and elsewhere days after, but in the moments of 9/11 no one (outside the most extreme in mid east and a few places) was saying that, right away. everyone was filled with shock and horror at the time and it was after kids were sent home from school the first inklings of who was behind the attack started to dribble out.

At the time WTF would the kids being saying that about as they did not know the cause? No one knew it was OBL and what his 'cause' was about.
I hear ya man. But I just take people at their word until they give me a reason not to, so I ain't gonna poopoo his answer.

Where I was in the Muslim community the sentiment was one of shock as well and when the prime suspects were named many were in denial that Muslims were behind it. Programs like Loose Change became popular when they came out as the corroborated what a few young people thought. My views have changed over the years from initially believing it was a conspiracy to accepting it probably was who they say it was albeit the official story still having many holes.

No idea what I was doing when the attack actually happened, I didn't find out about it until I went to work in the morning. I saw the impacts on some screens in a store front, quite surreal, but didn't pick up that it was a terrorist attack until I got to work and talked to everyone. The footage/coverage was on most of the monitors for most of the day. Felt quite apocalyptic.
Everyone figured it meant war was coming.
Most of my colleagues at the time were Persian Bahai, and had little love for Islam or the US.

You see libs on here saying that to this day...
I'm a "lib" according to the strict definition. The people you're talking about are as much outliers to the left as the type KKK racists are to the right. Fuck em both.

Back