Opinion Let's take a moment and remember the events of 9-11 - what were you doing when it happened?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Raknesh, Sep 11, 2019.

1. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

Thanks for your service!!!

cincymma79 likes this.
  2. fallable

fallable Brown Belt

I was driving with my mom to school when I first became aware that jets had hit the WTC on 9-11. I guess we didn't turn on the tv that morning because we first heard about it on the radio. I didn't really grasp the magnitude of this atrocity at the time. It took a few years for me to understand how significant of an event it was.

The video of the two people trapped on an upper floor with a raging fire sweeping towards them who hold hands and jump off the building instead of dying in the fire gets me every time. There was so much tragedy that day but also a lot of heroism and personal sacrifice. It's kind of weird to see those things all at once but I guess it does go hand in hand. The country sure has changed a lot since that day and as a result of that day. It's almost a year zero level event in some ways.

[​IMG]

Gutter Chris likes this.
  3. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

Probably my freshman year of college.

Walk in, some kid comes up and is like, “you know the wtc”?

Yea...

“It’s not there anymore.”

<TheWire1>

Class is canceled. Go get a slice of pizza nearby, watched the news.

<{danawhoah}><6>

Drove thru the ghetto on the way home and picked up a 5 bag or two, smoked blunts.

<13>

Crazy day.

To think of how naive I was to the world, particularly the Middle East. It’s pretty humbling to think back on.

4. HereticBD

HereticBD Titanium Belt

5. bobgeese

bobgeese Gold Belt

Thanks for your service gentlemen.

BassAckwards and Fawlty like this.
  6. Bald1

Bald1 War Room Can

I woke up to the local station talking about the planes hitting the twin towers. All dozy, almost late for work, as usual, thinking "what a distasteful fucking joke". It took a while to register that it wasn't a lame skit. Got nothing done all day. Knew our world was changed, but didn't know to what extent. Don't know what this says about me but the first thing that crossed my mind was "damn, a bunch of innocent brown folks are going to pay the bill for this".

What a pivotal moment in history, and one I'll never forget. RIP to all those poor souls.

7. SIRGAY HARITONOB!

SIRGAY HARITONOB! RED ARMY BELT

I didnt have the mind for this at the time, fortunately or unfortunately.

8. Liquid Smoke

Liquid Smoke Great artists steal™

Most of those deaths were caused by the insurgency, not US forces.

9. Daveb

Daveb Purple Belt

I was in a boys ranch for troubled kids at the time. As we were doing our morning ranch work, the guard who were all ex military told us that America was under attack. They told us New York and DC had been wiped out. We thought it was a Red Dawn Situation. All the kids were excited thinking they would let us go to form our own Wolverines. Didn't end up seeing any video of until the the April of 2002 when I got out.

10. NoDak

NoDak [ [ Fab Secret Powers ] ]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. Wrath of Foamy

Wrath of Foamy Brown Belt

It was after school, so I went upstairs and played Quake 2 on MSN Game Zone.

When I heard that they fell, I went downstairs and watched.

I was a bit of a mess as a child.

12. evansusmc2

evansusmc2 Black Belt

It was late in the evening in the time zone I was in. Which was in Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan.

As I walked pass the duty desk the Sgt on duty was staring motionless at the TV. I caught a glimpse of what he was watching and I just thought it was a movie or something.

A few hours later everyone’s doors were getting knocked on to get accountability. That’s when I knew something shitty happened.

13. Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul Black Belt

I noticed some of us listened to Stern that morning, so I decided to try and find it, and listen to it again after all these years. This is the entire episode from 9/11/01, and they become aware of the attacks around the 2 hr 16 minute mark. It's really interesting to hear reaction as the events unfolded on that day, as well as the flood of information that turned out to be false during all of the chaos.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Sano, forum poster and Fawlty like this.
  14. PrinceOfPain

PrinceOfPain Silver Belt

My mom picked me up from school and said, "Looks like America's under attack."
    I was a teen, so I was pretty excited, to be honest.

Didn't turn out to be at all exciting. Had to deal with the lip service paid by schools, etc. I remember my class was tasked with writing notes of sympathy to America for the tragedy endured.
    You can imagine, that turned out to be controversial and got a fair amount of pushback from the students.

tonni likes this.
  15. Beechwood

Beechwood Green Belt

I was at work. Someone came into my office and said a plane had crashed into a building in NYC. News on it was being shown in the conference room. I called my parents about what had happened as they were on their way to the airport. Not longer after my call my parents called back to say their flight had been canceled.

16. Bald1

Bald1 War Room Can

Muslims all over the Western world mobilize and vote as a block. It happens here in Calgary and there are stories out of the UK of vote bribing. So while maybe only 15% (a guesstimate) of eligible voters are Muslims in her district, that's a fair percentage of virtually guaranteed votes for her. Lies, damned lies, statistics.

17. thanoswasright

thanoswasright Intellectual property Double Yellow Card

I was playing counterstrike. When I heard that something was up I alt-tabbed only to find a bunch of "terrorists win" memes on Internet.

18. Danger Dave

Danger Dave Borderlands Patrol

i had to go to morning shift at a movie theater and customers and employees were walking around like the zombie apocolypse.

i leveraged the tragedy to get laid that day by the chick who worked the cafe (the place where they sell coffee and stale food).

19. NoDak

NoDak [ [ Fab Secret Powers ] ]

Lol Chrystia Freeland seemed legitimately hurt when the tariffs placed on Canada were justified on the grounds of being a "national security issue".

20. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Well tbh she had a point. Canada did a pretty crazy thing for the US in taking all those planes in when it was thought at the time that there were potentially dozens of hijacked jets in the air over US airspace when they Air-force was given the order they could shoot to kill.

I don't think for a minute it plays out the same the other way.

Canada : Umm hello, US. Yes thank you for answering. This is Canada here and we just had two jets used as missiles and crashed into out tallest towers. We have about 200 more jets circling that we suspect could also be under terrorist control. Can we send them to land at your airports instead of ours to reduce our risk?

Canada : Hello... hello... is anyone there?

I mean, what logic is there to send them to Canada over sending them to other US States (more rural States) where high value targets would be far and few between?