Lets be honest. WMMA's talent pool is like a local mma circuit.

It's good point. If ronda was fighting the same exact fighters, in the same exact time frame, but it said Invicta instead of ufc none of these guys would give a shit. Most people like what they're told to like.

That's doing a disservice to several regional MMA promotions with fighters that have 100 x the talent of some of Rousey's opponents. It's a fucking shit-show, an elite fighter squashing nobodies.

It's sad that talent pool can't catch up to Rousey. Really, she is a very-good to-exceptional athlete mixed into a sport with a few decent athletes at her level. On top of that, she has been competing at a higher level (olympic) for longer than most of these other girls have even been training.

She has been doing this longer, and is staying a step ahead. It's going to be a big gap for a long while.

peter-griffen-keep-hatin-gif.gif

It's funny because it's how effeminate I picture the W"MMA" fanboys. Good choice of image. ;)

So much hate in this thread. If there are better women out there, let's see them come out of the woodwork and try to take the belt. Ronda is incredible. Can't wait to see her next fight.

So much hate in this thread. If there are better women out there, let's see them come out of the woodwork and try to take the belt. Ronda is incredible. Can't wait to see her next fight.

That's not an argument, everyone knows why there's no women coming up, because most women wont try to go to the UFC. It doesn't change the FACT that in absolute terms, Ronda's technique is poor. She proved it once again tonight with her more than poor stand-up.

Maybe she should stick to giving us fancy media workout show with ambient music.

Most of the women don't want to get their faces punched in. Simple as that it is not in their DNA. The talent will always be a joke. If we are lucky we get another girl as talented as Ronda or Joanna in their weight class but they could be retired when that happens.

Im sure you get Olympic wrestling and judo medalists in any local circuits, not to mention boxing, muay thai and bjj world champions. Infact everyone on sherdog is a 6'5" olympic powerlifter.

Im sure you get Olympic wrestling and judo medalists in any local circuits, not to mention boxing, muay thai and bjj world champions. Infact everyone on sherdog is a 6'5" olympic powerlifter.

And yet, eventho there's some credentials here and there, it still looks even worse than a local MMA circuit. Strange, eh?

I think its a situation where both arguments are true.

Ronda is an exceptionally talented fighter who fights in a division largely devoid of any serious challengers. It's really too bad because we aren't getting to see the best ronda because no one is pushing her and by the time more talent emerges (in say 5 years) Ronda will probably no longer be fighting.

The fact that Tate is most likely getting a third fight shows how shallow the division is. She has been finished twice, has lost every round, has never had ronda in any serious trouble, and it would take the loosest definition of the word to claim either of their fights were 'competitive.'

i'm with op. ronda's judo i can agree is very good but bethe's boxing is pretty sub-par. keep in mind a fighters only job is to practice fighting. when you consider that they look sloppy as hell.

WMMA is young but is developing fast. Young women around the world are being inspired by Ronda, who is a very empowering role model.

Ronda and Joanna are both very skilled and great to watch in action.

Of course it is, but the UFC is making good money off it because of you know who, so don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

It is what it is...

It is like many other sports mate. The women national soccer teams get their asses handed to them by 15-16 year old guys, just as womens national hockey teams. But hopefully it will grow a lot, someone like Ronda will surely bring more women into the sport and that should lead to a rather fast increase in quality. In the real world it will probably take years and years, but one can hope, right?

I agree .....UFC hasn't been the same since they started airing this crap

She took 4th place in the Olympics (they give two bronze medals in Judo) and she is able to completely dominate an entire division of women. Well, she is a cut above them in terms of accomplishments outside of MMA, but she is not some all-time great in that regard. She won something like 75% of her Senior career Judo matches. So, let's not pretend that she's always been an absolute world-beater in the world of athletics. I do think her skillset is more applicable to MMA than it was to Judo, what with her penchant for fighting on the ground and arm bar specialty which was unusual in women's Judo. I'm not going to say Ronda isn't a pretty damn big fish, but the pond she is swimming in is indeed far more shallow than men's MMA. I'm still a fan of it, as it is its own self-contained ecosystem and the dynamic is different than men's MMA, so it is somewhat refreshing, but we have to be honest. Fewer overall competitors translates directly into less depth, and if you actually do an analysis of records of women in the top 20-50 of any female weight class, you may be shocked.

It is like many other sports mate. The women national soccer teams get their asses handed to them by 15-16 year old guys, just as womens national hockey teams. But hopefully it will grow a lot, someone like Ronda will surely bring more women into the sport and that should lead to a rather fast increase in quality. In the real world it will probably take years and years, but one can hope, right?

I hope that wmma gets their own league so we can watch truly skilled fighters and not have to sit there and lied to and told that this is high level mma. It just is not.

If the have WUFC, fine. But i recall the ufc putting women who were 3-7 on the main card over some real legit mens fights. Some people are busy men and can only catch the main card. The UFC gives no shits though.

Back