Legend or Not a Legend

I have Dan Severn on there under "Probably Legends."

In my book he is a legend, but some people have cast doubt because of his known worked fights following his UFC career. But when the polls roll around you will have your opportunity to vote on it!

Dan is a legend, did TS add Bas?

The definition of a "Legend" is a fighter that will be remembered for a long, long time. Almost everyone on your 3 lists falls under that. Truthfully, almost everyone from the "probably" list needs to be bumped up a tier. You have most of the LHW GOAT contenders pre-Jones on that list for crying out loud. Also, Ronda has obviously eclipsed anything that Gina Carano ever did in her short stint as the face of woman's MMA.

There are also many people who are legends for specific reasons, not just win records. For instance, Bas Rutten is a legend for his contributions to the sport even after retiring from it. Travis Fulton, Jeremy Horn, and Dan Severn are legends for just how many people they've fought, and over such long periods of time. Matt Serra is a legend for being the Buster Douglas of MMA, the ultimate symbol of "anything can happen". Forrest Griffin, Cowboy Cerrone, Chris Lytle, and several others are legends for their huge fan bases and their ability to consistently put on exciting fights.

The list of Legends can get pretty long.

I agree that Ronda's career has eclipsed Gina's, but Gina is the Royce Gracie of Women's MMA. Women's MMA was a side show attraction that no one paid any attention to until Gina Carano started fighting.

GSP is definitely a legend brah

In my book, without a doubt, but I put him under the "Probably" given all the flack he gets on here for not being able to finish fights. Which I think is stupid, but I'm not putting just who I think is a legend, but rather trying to reflect what I think Sherdog as a whole would say. So I think my definites are ones that no - one would even debate. My probablys are ones that most people would agree. And my maybes are probably split 50/50 for most.

But in the end, I make polls and Sherdog will have their final say.

How can Rickson be an unquestionable legend and Chuck isn't? rickson is not a legend at all. He's a myth. Afraid to fight Sakuraba. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as true legends of MMA. Never ever.

How can Rickson be an unquestionable legend and Chuck isn't? rickson is not a legend at all. He's a myth. Afraid to fight Sakuraba. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as true legends of MMA. Never ever.

LOL. Fair debate. I know who you won't be voting for when the polls roll around.

I personally consider Rickson a legend not beause I think he beat a bunch of great names or even lives up close to his hype, but because he kind of did in the East why Royce did in the West. There is a reason Pride invited him to fight in the inaguaral show, they knew that having Rickson on the card would make their show sensational. His name going against Nobuhiko Takada gave birth to PrideFC. He is also defintely one of the pioneers of the sport. The sport partially exists today because of Rickson.

good lists so far, it sucks that alot of these guys wont make it to legend status because of lack of popularity and media attention in the sport at the times they were fighting

I ll put Frank as an unquestionable legend. Was one of the first true mma fighters, too well rounded for his time, UFC,WEC,Strikeforce and Pancrase champ just because Dana doesn't like him,the ufc give no fucks about him.

a lot of the possibly legends I wouldn't include. Some of the probably legends are guys on the brink of becoming, or "will be" legends after they retire

Legend or Not a Legend

I feel like the word “Legend” gets thrown around quite liberally on here. I think part of the reason this is done is because we do not have an operational definition for “Legend.” And yet there are some fighters we all unquestionably know are “Legends.” These are fighters whom I assume 90% or more of hardcore fans would agree are legends. So somehow, for some fighters, we just inherently know that Royce Gracie is a legend, that Fedor Emelianenko is a legend etc. But what I want to delineate is those that are closer to the grey line. Eg. Big Nog, Pride HW champions with some defenses, most people agree is a legend vs. Tim Sylvia, two time UFC HW champion with some defenses, few people consider him a legend. So what I plan to do is list below those I think are unquestionably legends because I imagine 90% or more agree. Those I think most people probably agree. And those that are really on the grey line.
You don’t need to get all worked up if you disagree with my choices, because I’m asking that you share your choices as well and where you would place them. Ultimately, I’m going to take a collection of all of our choices and put them in a series of polls to determine, whom does Sherdog consider to be a legend, and whom does sherdog not consider worthy of the moniker legend. When I see conclusively who is in and who is out, I may have a better sense of the variables that delineate a legend from a non – legend in sherdog’s minds:

Unquestionably Legends:
Anderson Silva
Bas Rutten
Fedor Emelianenko
Kazushi Sakuraba
Ken Shamrock
Masakatsu Funaki
Randy Couture
Royce Gracie
Rickson Gracie

Probably Legends:
BJ Penn
Chuck Liddell
Dan Henderson
Dan Severn
Don Frye
Frank Mir
Frank Shamrock
Georges St. Pierre
Gina Carano
Igor Vovchanchyn
Jens Pulver
Jose Aldo
Kazuo Takahashi
Lyoto Machida
Marco Ruas
Mark Coleman
Matt Hughes
Minatauro Nogueira
Mirko Filipovic
Quinton Jackson
Ronda Rousey
Sean Sherk
Tim Sylvia
Tito Ortiz
Yuki Nakai
Vitor Belfort
Wanderlei Silva

Possibly Legends:
Brock Lesnar
Cain Velasquez
Conor McGregor
Cristianie "Cyborg" Justino
David Abbott
Egan Inoue
Enson Inoue
Genki Sudo
Hayato Sakurai
Hidehiko Yoshida
Ikuhisa Minowa
Jason Delucia
Jon Jones
Mark Kerr
Matt Serra
Maurice Smith
Jeremy Horn
Kimo Leopoldo
Kiyoshi Tamura
Mario Sperry
Mauricio Shogun Rua
Oleg Taktarov
Pedro Rizzo
Renzo Gracie
Rich Franklin
Shinya Aoki
Travis Fulton (in his own right)
Tsuyoshi Koksaka
Yuki Kondo

Cleverly disguised GSP dismissal thread is obvious.

GSP is arguably better than everyone on your list. You put guys that were nowhere near as accomplished as him as a guaranteed legend.

Funaki above GSP as a legend? ROFL just stop.

Are you a clever, blind, biased hater/troll or legit that clueless?

Legends:
Anderson
Fedor
BJ

Pioneers:
Shogun
Nog brothers
Rampage
Mir

Cleverly disguised GSP dismissal thread is obvious.

GSP is arguably better than everyone on your list. You put guys that were nowhere near as accomplished as him as a guaranteed legend.

Funaki above GSP as a legend? ROFL just stop.

Are you a clever, blind, biased hater/troll or legit that clueless?

Ha. If only you knew me. GSP is my absolute favorite fighter. My wife is free to mate with GSP if GSP would be willing to grace her with that privilege. There is no GSP hate here. I think GSP is a legend, but I'm trying to reflect Sherdog, and sometimes Sherdog seems to argue that he is not, hence there will be a poll!

Ha. If only you knew me. GSP is my absolute favorite fighter. My wife is free to mate with GSP if GSP would be willing to grace her with that privilege. There is no GSP hate here. I think GSP is a legend, but I'm trying to reflect Sherdog, and sometimes Sherdog seems to argue that he is not, hence there will be a poll!

Anyone that says GSP isn't a legend outs themselves as the biggest dumbasses in MMA that have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

No one can legit argue against it. They're just dumb as hell and should probably refrain from giving their opinion on anything ever again.

McGregor? Really, lol? He doesn't belong on any of these lists.

Anyone that says GSP isn't a legend outs themselves as the biggest dumbasses in MMA that have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

No one can legit argue against it. They're just dumb as hell and should probably refrain from giving their opinion on anything ever again.

I see only one argument. If you are a person who believes a person should not be declared a legend until they are retired a certain number of years, and some people do feel that way. Like we shouldn't make the declaration of legend until we have seen their full career. Now I for one think a fighter can prove legendary before the career is even over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back