Legend or Not a Legend

It's an intriguing topic TS and thanks for presenting something new. When I'm back to work and not fucking hammered I'll go through the lists above and respond.

I see only one argument. If you are a person who believes a person should not be declared a legend until they are retired a certain number of years, and some people do feel that way. Like we shouldn't make the declaration of legend until we have seen their full career. Now I for one think a fighter can prove legendary before the career is even over.

Sounds like you've had some MMA discussions with some pretty incompetent people. That's just stupid beyond belief.

Based on that, how could Bas be on the list? His career wasn't nearly as long as GSP's, nor was he as successful.

Sounds like you've had some MMA discussions with some pretty incompetent people. That's just stupid beyond belief.

Based on that, how could Bas be on the list? His career wasn't nearly as long as GSP's, nor was he as successful.

Some could argue long or substantial career or not, he was a pioneer of the sport and has contributed a lot to the sport outside of actual fighting including coaching and commentating.

Some could argue long or substantial career or not, he was a pioneer of the sport and has contributed a lot to the sport outside of actual fighting including coaching and commentating.

GSP largely increased an entire countries' interest in MMA. He was the greatest Canadian athlete, beating out the face of Canada's primary sport.

There is no legit argument against GSP. When you have 0 unavenged losses, are the greatest in the history of the sport in your respective weightclass and completely obliterated the man who was the man before you came along, the man who is also a legend (Hughes). you are a legend.

Gomi for Probably

And I think in my opinion Josh Barnett could be under possibly and maybe Kid Yamamoto (he was 17-1-1 before he tried for the olympic and badly hurt his knee, after that he is 1-5)

Fuji-Megumi-SF14-1.jpg

To be a "legend" you need to achieve some rare feats that few, or none, have done. It also has to do with time passed, as a young guy who does a great thing is naturally thought to have bigger things ahead of him that, then, define his career more.

It's silly to call Shogun a legend at 23 after winning the Pride GP, when most would agree his run had barely started. It's another thing now, also because he won UFC gold. He's the only one ever to win a divisional UFC belt and win a Pride GP.

Beating Monson & AA for UFC title defenses aren't such rare achievements, thus time passed grows Sylvia's legend with some added hyperbole, not that those wins have great historical context. They weren't the best wins then, hence they shouldn't be seen as such now.

I like the idea TS but I think your list is bloated. MMA's been kicking for about 20 years, so not counting the last five years (to early to tell whose HoF/Legend worthy, that should leave about 15 dudes.

Really makes you think when you limit it down that way.

Georges St. Pierre = Legend, no question.

Jon Jones = Probably a Legend.

bj penn is definitely a legend....

none of them are "legends". honestly that word is just hero worship

Vitor, GSP and Dan not being on the list made me laugh.

Looks like every mother focker whose ever worn a mouth piece is a legend in your book.

Legend and Great both get thrown around loosely. So much so that it makes you wonder if the real legends and greats of the sport should be called something else to really distinguish them.

Looks like every mother focker whose ever worn a mouth piece is a legend in your book.

Ha. But no. I think with careful reading comprehension, you will see that I do not consider every person listed up there to be a legend. And if you look at the polls, you will see I have not voted "legend" for all of those fighters. But I will admit, I am a bit more liberal in my willingness to call someone a legend than other posters. But in the end, I will accept Sherdog's votes as declaring Sherdog's official Legends of the Sport.

I will break it up into three levels:

Gold Medalist Legends (90 - 100% of the votes)
Silver Medalist Legends (80 - 89% of the votes)
Bronze Medalists Legends (70% - 79% of the votes)
And "Didn't quite make the grade" (less than 70% of the votes).

Last edited:
Hard to put the "probably" on Marco Ruas.

Dude would ktfo Hoyce if the gracies had called him to UFC 1.

His status, imo, is similar to Bas. Except that he didn't comment fights after retirement.

Back